ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More 100 Guitars Return to archive
09-10-03 09:03 PM
palacerevolution Mick Taylor always gets overlooked on those stupid lists. He doesn't have the right Rockgod profile. His output is legendary though. IMO The Edge also does not get enough credit in those polls. He changed Rockguitar drastically. Slash wasn't mentioned. What's up with that? Neither were Dave Navarro, who rocks it hard, Richie Blackmore who made that Strat talk back, James Blood Ulmer in his Black Rock period, Joh Asheton from the Psychedelic Furs, Richard Lloyd from Television. Rolling Stone by now has the musical values of Entertainment Tonight on ABC. Vapid. If you're hot, you're in. A while back Van Halen was next to God. Now he and Valerie aren't in the news anymore so he is less of a guitarplayer (???). Hendrix and Clapton always are right on top cause pollsters name them out of habit. Does Clapton actually keep anyone awake anymore? Also what is Joe Perry doing up there? The guy has the imagination of a cerealbox. Mind you, I dig two-string riffing and bent out of tune notes. But Perry has nothing to say. I see him writhing in his black leather with the fan startegically placed to blow his hair, smashing his guitar... is he an angry young man? I feel his pain, man.
I was glad to see Wayne Kramer in ther though.
09-11-03 03:05 PM
72Tele These list are impossible. Rolling Stone magazine lists tend to sku old or classic while Spin is the opposite. I like Gene Ween, Paul Westerberg, Mick Jones, Carl Perkins, Bob Log among others. And what about the Steve Vai kind of guys. It bores me to tears but aren't they really good at playing guitar? And what about bass, I mean it's a guitar, they included a lap steel player. You mean the very best bass player in the whole world isn't better then the 100th best six string player? And finally at the risk of offending anyone the two most overrated rock guitarist of all time are Hendrix and SRV. What did the make five real records between them? Keith is the best and always will be.
09-12-03 01:29 AM
palacerevolution Yeah tele I agree with some you say. Hendrix will invariably top these lists. I bet young journalists name him and probably have never even heard him right. But Rock'n roll Lore dictates that one must bow before Hendrix. Of course he was one of the greatest ever. It's like whenever there is a poll about the greatest album ever I see "Sgt pepper" owning that top slot. IMO "Pepper" might have been a milestone in album evolution but it's a lousy disc within the Beatles catalogue. Several tunes are forgettable. I'm glad you dig Mick Jones and Westerberg. I thought Jones did an incredible job all over "London Calling". That's some of the best straight forward rockguitar I have ever heard. And Westerberg did cool shit on his solodiscs. Sounds like Johnny Thunders in places. Steve Vai and co. can stay as far away from me as possible.
What I don't get about your post is the part about Bass. Bass is a totally different instrument. Yes, it's shaped like a guitar and the notes are the 4 lower strings of a guitar. But it's a different animal completely. It's a rhythm instrument. It has a different function in music. That attitude about anyone who plays guitar automatically qualifies as a Bassist has made for some of the worst Bassplayers in music. In the Stonesworld Mick Taylor probably comes closest to that style. He plays bass very melodic, borrows a lot from guitar.