ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels' Favorites? Return to archive
09-10-03 03:34 AM
UGot2Rollme was listening to SW again this week.. not so Sad, Sad, Sad..

My top 4 tunes in order:
1. Hold onto your hat
2. Almost hear you sigh
3. Rock in a hard place
4. Tie: Can't be seen; Slipping away

... and yours?
09-10-03 03:59 AM
dealer squealing All of them.
A better record than Voodoo and Bridges imo.
09-10-03 07:17 AM
Jumacfly 1/ terrifying
2/ blinded by love
3/ can t be seen
4/ break the spell!!!
5/ mixed emotions
6/ sad 3
7/ hold on to your heart
8/ slipping away
9/ almost hear you sight
10/ continental drift

yes a very good record...got a few problems with the sound of this, in this way VL was far better...
09-10-03 08:48 AM
full moon I like it alot.. Almost Hear You Sigh, Continental Drift, Can't Be Seen, Slipping Away..... Not nearly as bad as some would make one think....
09-10-03 09:02 AM
Zeeta Yeah this is such a great album but the production is just horrible - too many keyboards etc 80 things. Favourites:
can't be seen (bar the production)
Mixed emotions (production is okay really)
Slipping Away
terrifying - is cool aswell

what did Chris Jagger have to do with this album???
He gets sort of thanked for many of the lyrics?
09-10-03 09:36 AM
steel driving hammer I like every song on that album.

Especially Mixed Emotions guitar riff.

Thats the best riff since the stuff on Talk Is Cheap.
09-10-03 09:40 AM
JaggerLips I love the song Hold On To Your Hat, Hearts for Sale
love the line
AND THE WOMEN ARE SO BEAUTIFUL AND I FEEL LIKE SINGING, love the emphasis on the SINGING!

I really love Break the Spell, the harmonica is excellent!

I think the start of a few songs are a bit cringeworthy don't know what it is, maybe the 80s sound spoils it a bit
09-11-03 12:55 AM
Gimme Shelter I love the whole album. Always remember the beginning of "Continental Drift" at the beginning of every show on the Steel Wheels tour.
09-11-03 05:11 AM
dealer squealing Yeah, nothing beats the opening of the 1989-1990 tour
09-11-03 11:43 AM
Flashpoint Great great Album....in fact for me it's the best one since SG....Tatoo has too many slow songs and they are all together!!
TOP 5 Songs:

1-Mixed Emotions
2-Almost Hear You Sigh
3-Slipping Away
4-Rock and a Hard Place
5-Can't Be Seen

But it really depends on the mood because i love it

And i also agree with everything you said (production, Continental Drift opening, Mixed's guitar riff)

And i leave a question...why Mixed Emotions didn't became a warhorse?....if they play YGR and Undercover, i don't get it
It must be Sir Jagger
09-11-03 01:43 PM
magicwoman wow flashpoint yor avator is beatiful
09-11-03 08:08 PM
Steel Wheels Needless to say, I love the album start to finish. Sad, Sad, Sad, Mixed Emotions, and Hold On To Your Hat are some of my fav's.
09-11-03 10:42 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE THAT ALBUM;CONTINENTAL DRIFT OPENING WAS PERFECT..I'LL NEVER FORGET 8/31/89 AT THE VET WHEN THEY OPNENED THE SHOW..ITS NOT THEIR BEST WORK BUT AT THE TIME IT WAS PERFECT FOR THE STONES RECLAIMING THEIR TITLE AS THE WORLDS GREATEST ROCK BAND.THAT TOUR WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAVORITE(OF THE ONES I'VE SEEN)
09-12-03 01:57 AM
palacerevolution Seems like I'm in the minority here but it's my least fave Stonesalbum. I hate the sterile digital 80's production. The songs are really not that good. I was so glad the Stones were back that I didn't really care though. Now that I can see it within the big picture I think it's pretty weak. My faves are
1 - Mixed Emotions, good groove, good harmonies and sounds like "Take it so Hard" Mach II
2 - Hearts For Sale, great BU vox and good guitar by Jagger
3 - Hold On To Your Hat, incredible Keith guitar, who knew he would play like that?
4 - Break The Spell, Jagger's harp rules. love it when the Stones do the swampthing
5 - Continental Drift, that is an experiment that really worked, could have backfired but those vocals and those Moroccans are cool
6 - Can't Be Seen, last time Keith gave us an uptempo tune, the lyrix are pretty bad
7 - Terrifying,good trumpet and percussion, those lyrix are a little too cute
8 - Slipping away, decent Keith fare with an AWFUL bridge by Jagger. It's like a gorilla coming in and stepping all over a someplace he has no business
9 - Sad Sad Sad, why do they keep playing this live? It's really a mediocre song
10 - Almost Hear You Sigh,sounds too prepackaged to me. Classical guitar, Bernard whoo whoo ing. Supposed to be soulful...
11 - Rock And A Hard Place, the riff is another one of those Soul Survivor-It Must Be Hell variations. Just Jagger trying real hard to force a hook with the obligatory Funkgroove.
12 - Blinded By Love, I just don't know...this tune actually makes me laugh. The words are just flatout ridiculous. got to be one of the alltime clinkers.