ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: That damn Rolling Stone list (100 guitarists) Return to archive
09-05-03 05:08 PM
Factory Girl They didn't mention Mick Taylor!!!

And WTF putting Kurt Cobain at #11, and Johnny Winter at #74!!!! I am appalled and aghast, and all the other jive!

For those of you unfamiliar with J. Winter, please check him out.
09-05-03 05:27 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
They didn't mention Mick Taylor!!!

And WTF putting Kurt Cobain at #11, and Johnny Winter at #74!!!! I am appalled and aghast, and all the other jive!

For those of you unfamiliar with J. Winter, please check him out.

That list is a joke. Cobain was no big deal as a guitarist at all. Just a lot of thrash mostly. And the guitarists that were overlooked..oh Gawd. I'd say the composers of this "list" are clueless.
09-05-03 06:19 PM
purrcafe You gotta keep in mind that Rolling Stone went through an "overhaul" recently, hoping to compete with Maxim, et al.
In doing so, they threw out the very last of their credibility as a serious music publication.
09-05-03 06:27 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
purrcafe wrote:
You gotta keep in mind that Rolling Stone went through an "overhaul" recently, hoping to compete with Maxim, et al.
In doing so, they threw out the very last of their credibility as a serious music publication.

Nice explanation. And I agree.
09-05-03 06:37 PM
Mother baby Ohhhhh....but just look at those expensive ads! The cash register is justa jinglin'!
09-05-03 06:39 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Ohhhhh....but just look at those expensive ads! The cash register is justa jinglin'!

You got that right...
09-05-03 07:03 PM
Sir Stonesalot What the heck is wrong with you people?

Kurt Cobain deserves to be on someone's list. Just because YOU don't think he deserves to be there doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't have him on their list. The guy almost single-handedly killed "Hair Metal". I give him big points for that.

It is Rolling Stone's list...not your list.

You know, playing guitar isn't just all about chops. Many of my fave guitar players are not very technique oriented. But they play with piss & vinegar, soul, attitude. They fucking mean it. Joe Strummer, Steve Jones, Ron Ashton, Johnny Ramone...yeah even Kurt Cobain. None of them are all that techincally gifted...but they play like motherfuckers.

I did not read the list. I'm not going to read the list. But I'll wager one thing....at no point in the article will it say that the rankings are derived soley by how technically gifted a player is. Technique alone does not a player make.

I don't care who made the list, where they placed, or who was omitted. Make your own damn list and quit yer belly-achin'.

Jesus, all this hubbub over a fuckin' stupid shitrag list. It makes no sense!
09-05-03 07:10 PM
KeithRichards210 OUCH!!!!! Sorry...again! LOL
09-05-03 07:33 PM
Boomy I don't care..I think Cobain is ranked too high compared to others that are below him.

This isn't a list about bands, it's about guitarists.
09-05-03 10:08 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Ohhhhh....but just look at those expensive ads! The cash register is justa jinglin'!

Yeah! But they aren't including the free rub-on cologne samples anymore! Those served as my po' man's toilet potpourri.

Peter Green at #38 but No Lindsey Buckingham? WTF!!

Listen to his solo work on Out of the Cradle, e.g., "Countdown"--that's way better than Cobain and half those monkeys listed!
09-05-03 10:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot But Boomy...by what standard are you judging?

I would happen to rank Cobain pretty high on my list. Why? Because I dig the way he plays. I like his tone, I like his use of dynamics. I like his aggression, and I like his volume. Kurt Cobain changed the way guitars sounded for an entire decade.

Maybe other players in Seattle were doing some of the thungs Kurt did before Kurt did them. I'm not going to credit him with discovering "grunge". But I do give him credit for popularizing it. And in doing that he changed how rock guitar sounded for the 90's.

Not many guitar players can claim that they changed the way an entire decade sounded.

THAT is why Kurt Cobain is ranked so high. And that is why Kurt Cobain SHOULD be ranked that high. Let's not kid ourselves...Nirvana would not have been the phenomenon that it was had it not been for Kurt's left handed Strat. You can try to claim that Nirvana was nothing special, but the truth is that they most certainly were special. IMO, they fucking saved rock music in much the same way the Clash, The Pistols, and The Ramones saved rock music 14 years earlier.

And before someone cuts up Jack White for ranking high on the list....Jackyboy may just do the same for us in this new millenium.
09-05-03 10:31 PM
Boomy I just always looked at Nirvana as a whole, and not as Kurt's band. IMO, they have some songs that I quite enjoy, my fave being "In Bloom".

I honestly never really thought of Kurt Cobain as being a great guitarist; I just looked at him as 1/3 of a band that brought the so-called "grunge" era to the world. I don't know, maybe if I saw them live I would have a different opinion. I always liked Soundgarden more, though. But there is no question that Kurt Cobain (mostly his band) was a part of an integral transition in music.

But, ya know, it's kinda ridiculous. We are arguing about ratings in a magazine that has abandoned rock and roll years ago!!!
09-06-03 12:47 AM
Martini I don't have a problem with Cobain being listed so close to the top--I guess it all depends on your definition of "greatness" (i.e., a good technician? an influential player? being in an influential band?)

I have few problems with the list, and I'd be curious to hear what others think.

1. Why the hell is Angus Young not in the top 20? (In fact, he barely made the list!) He has made some of the most memorable, classic riffs in rock history.

2. Why isn't Tony Iommi in the top 30? He is a monster player, AND he was the backbone of the density (w/Geezer)that was the awesome power of Black Sabbath. What a great player; what a great band. In my opinion, you can't give love to Jimmy Page & Zep w/o giving love to Tony Iommi & Sabbath--together they greated the templates of post-Jimi power chords.

3. Holy shit! Eddie Van Halen didn't even crack the top 50? That in itself tells you that the whole list is bogus. I'm no Van Halen fan, but anyone who knows their shit will tell you that Eddie influenced (and probably was the #1 influence of) an entire generation of players post-1975. All that hair metal shit in the 80s features people copying Eddie's riffs, but no where as good. They captured the tricks he introduced into the vernacular, but lacked the essence. Eddie was all about tone, attitude, and flat out burning. A great player.

Guys (non-blues, otherwise the list would be another 500 names) that may have been overlooked: Steve Vai; Joe Satriani; Zakk Wylde; Reeves Gabrels.

09-06-03 02:18 AM
Prodigal Son We all know the list is bull. I have no problem with putting Cobain on it, but surely not at no. 13 just because his loud power chords and agression. They've totally fucked themselves inside out with this list because at first it looks like a "Most important guitar players" list as Cobain and Marky Ramone get up there but then they also neglect guys who did change the instrument and define new boundaries for rock guitar like Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani and even Pat Matheny. But opinions are unique. However, although this list may be the opinion of some jackhole, that's obsolete. If you can put Neil Young higher than Johnny Winter, fine. Neil's strange electric work and acoustic songs on guitar have made more impact on rock in general. But to put gutarists who are pretty inferior but stand out well and combined with their fame, put them over great ones who are less famous is silly. Jack White and Cobain may get the benefit of RS's Modern day rock heroes nod. Where was Slash too, BTW? You'd think he'd rank higher than those two but never mind (no Nirvana pun intended). I guess we get into a debate about does it matter if a guy sticks to one hammer-em-out style ala Joe Strummer and is considered better than a guy who can do it all such as Ry Cooder or something.
Anyway, it all ends up getting back to the same point: Rolling Stone sucks donkeyballs and anyone bringing it up in a post will be subject to repeated statements of said line and irritated replies. If you wanna butcher RS, fine. But debates about their lists or articles is not really relevant for a magazine that thinks Avril Lavigne is worth the cover and next months issue featuring Spongebob Squarepants and Joe Millionaire (just a guess). Wow, they'll put anyone on it so it might as well not be a rock magazine, but just a pop culture whoring rag. There, I got my Jann "You fucking senseless dick" Wenner shot in. And all these beers have made me swear a lot too.
09-06-03 02:08 PM
purrcafe Stonesalot, I agree with you. In no way is being a great guitarist only about technical ability. All of my favorites are far from technical wunderkinds, but play with what I consider to be passion, soul, and feel. My point is just that Rolling Stone a name that commands respect because of what they once were. That shouldn't be confused with what they are today (not that I didn't enjoy the issue with Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen on the cover). This list is no more valid than their lists of the top concerts ever, or their top albums ever, or their top blowjobs backstage, or whatever they plan on rating next.
09-06-03 05:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot 'Zactly Purrbaby.

The only list that should matter to anyone is the one that they develope themselves. I really do not care a lick for what RS says, and I haven't for a very long time.

My list is gonna be different from your list, and your list will be different from Boomy's list, and his list will be different from Prodigaly's list, etc etc etc.

And the best part is that we are all equally right. That is the best thing about music. It touches us all differently. We all hear the same things differently.

I'm not gonna slag the RS list because I'm sure all of the players on the list are really good. Somebody liked them well enough to be included. So congrats to all the players that made the list...and for those that didn't...don't worry, you made somebody's version of it.
09-06-03 07:23 PM
glencar I just watched "The 22 Greatest Bands" on MTV2 & the Stones weren't mentioned. That's more outrageous than this RS article. I mean, Linkin Park but no Stones? WTF?
09-09-03 07:14 PM
stewed & Keefed No Zoot Horn Rollo...shame on them.
09-10-03 10:45 AM
scully I always thought Nirvana were The Pixies with better hair, though I agree completely that Cobain made the sound famous.

Being a great guitar stylist is nothing to do with technique though, it's to do with soul.
09-10-03 12:07 PM
Joey Pete Townshend Number # 50 ?!?!?!?!?!

It's enough to make a grown Joey cry .....................

Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince !