ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lou Reed, where do I start?! Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-05-03 12:11 PM
jb I can't see his hair clearly...
09-05-03 11:44 PM
Martini
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
I have Transformer and adore it - what should I get next?

Get all of the Velvet Underground discs; if you can't afford it, just get the first two.

As far as solo stuff goes, "Berlin" is a great concept album and a Lou classic. But it is an album that is best when you sit down and really listen to it carefully. Otherwise it will be shitty background music.

"Rock and Roll Animal" sounds nice, but Lou doesn't play guitar on it, so the music, while extremely competent, sounds neutered (which is precicely the difference between the Stones' albums and Mick Jagger solo albums--Mick solo, like "R&R Animal," lacks attitude, but it is always "polished"). Lou needs to play guitar on his albums, in my opinion. The players on this album play beautifully, but that isn't what Lou Reed music is supposed to be about, IMO. Lou's music needs that "edge" of his guitar. The guitar players on "R&R Animal" are fantastic, but they sound as though they could have been straight out of TOTO, BTO, Average White Band, Supertramp, well . . . get it?

If you want live stuff, get "Take No Prisoners." It is a buget priced 2 CD for $15 pretty much anywhere. He ridicules the audience for the whole show. It is somewhere between a Lenny Bruce routine and a rock show. When the band, which is great, finally get Lou back on track, they plunge into the tunes with the strength of a locomotive. The live versions of "Coney Island Baby" and "Street Hassle" are awesome!

"Metal Machine Music" is actually pretty cool, as a concept. There has never been a bigger "fuck you" given to a record company ever. Shit, buy a copy--no! download a copy--and mail it to the RIAA. Show them mothers the sonic middle finger!

"Coney Island Baby" might be a good place to go after "Transformer" (though REALLY go to the Velvets first), if you are on the Lou solo kick. "Street Hassle" is another one that is pretty much linked thematically and is from the late 70s. Buy 'em both and play 'em back to back.

Stay away from "Mistrial." It sucks. Buy "The Blue Mask," "New York," or "Magic and Loss" (a true masterpiece) instead.

I couldn't really get into "Set the Twilight Reeling." His Cd "Ecstasy," however, is wonderful. His new disc, "The Raven," is a mixed bag. I have the limited 2 CD edition and although it is well done, I think the only person who cares to listen to it frequently is probably Lou himself.

[Edited by Martini]
09-06-03 12:19 AM
Martini
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
The Stooges are almost TOO fucking good! ha!

Yeah love em mate - I have The Stooges and Raw Power. Raw Power is just so loud (easily the loudest album in my collection!), so filthy, so lewd, so rock 'n'n roll and just so RAW sometimes it is just too much! Before breakfast anyway! A real band indeed mate!
What other Stooges if any should I get? Any good live stuff?

Iggy is a god and his all time idol is Keith - nuff said!

I'm on a huge Stooges kick as I write. After you get the "official" albums, including the new Iggy remix of "Raw Power," go ahead and get some of the more bootleg style stuff from Bomp! records:

http://www.bomp.com/Iguana.html

Some of that stuff on Bomp! is incredible. But if you are a marginal fan, the sound quality might put you off. They sell audience recordings, rehearsals that were fairly poorly recorded, etc. But if you are really into the Stooges you will love all of that stuff. They sell historical "field recordings" and it is just the way the music sounds. Bless Bomp! for making it easily availble.

Next week I'm getting the "Complete Funhouse Sessions" on 7 CDs. It is an out-of-print limited edition set from www.rhinohandmade.com that I'm sure is fantastic. I can't wait.

I'm so hoping that The Stooges, reformed for the first time in almost three decades, will develop a substantial US tour. They have been playing a few shows this year, and there is no one I'd rather see right now than the Stooges.

-M

[Edited by Martini]
09-06-03 12:45 AM
Scottfree To rehash, love many but set the twighlight reeling...is the one, that sets the twilight realing...yes intentional (sp)
09-09-03 05:41 AM
Zeeta Cheers for all of the replies!
I will save this thread as is contains so much good information!
Rock 'n' Roll ain't noise pollution!!!!!!!!!!
09-09-03 10:55 AM
jb Thanks Zeeta..I hope I was able to help re:" the hair.
09-09-03 11:20 AM
Zeeta
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Zeeta..I hope I was able to help re:" the hair.

LOL!
SS was wrong the other day when he stated people should ignore your posts - one can hate you, love you, tolerate you, can pretty much do anything but - you sure CANNOT ignore you!!

Cheers
09-09-03 07:06 PM
stewed & Keefed yeah Zeeta I have always felt the same about jb's posts....must be something about us brits
09-09-03 07:18 PM
Mother baby Hey who cares really? I don't mind jb's posts (or anyone elses for that matter), but I do however feel strongly that some of JB's should be disqualified from his total.
[Edited by Mother baby]
09-12-03 02:22 AM
palacerevolution I gotta say that my list would almost be identical with Gazza's. "Berlin" is just a masterpiece. Don't be put off by the "depressing" opinions. It's fucking beautiful; very sad but sad can be pretty haunting at times. "R&R Animal" is tricky. The tunes are all old VU stuff and Lou purists hate what guitarrist steve Hunter did with those tunes. made them palatable for arena rock. IMO it rocks well. 70's guitar slashing. The sequel to that disc is the not so well known "Live" with an incredible version of "Oh Jim". "Coney Island baby" is really good in a light way. Same goes for "R&R Heart". Lots of very good tunes there. "Sally can't dance" according to Lou is from a very low drug period. he says he can't even remember being conscious in the studio. The songs are up and down. "Kill Your Sons" and "SallY' are good. "Blue Mask" was scary, powerful and excellent. "Street hassle" was Lou's album in the Punk period. I was in NYC at the time and everyone dug that album. Patti Smith and Punkbands began to cover those tunes right away. That's when Lou began singing in that weird nasal style. "Take No Prisoners" is very funny. Lou as standup act backed by his tunes. I love "Families" off of "The Bells". "Bells" was marred by some teamwriting with Nils Lofgren. "Twilight Reeling" is good. "New York" is a critic's fave. the lyrix are something else. But it's mainly an album of poetry. Not so much music. Weaker albums are "New Sensations" and "Growing Up In Public", his very first solodisc "Lou Reed", "Drella". "The Raven" hasn't sunk in yet. Lou Reed is an excellent producer. Many think he can't sing, play guitar, and his always in a bad mood. I think he's an angel of the English language. has written about dope and trans sex better than anyone else. Is VERY clever and funny. A mean guitarplayer. His vocal style is totally unbeatable. Plus he got to play with Ornette and Don Cherry. Dude's got a fine ear. I think he is one of the greatest. Would never lump him in the same category as Bowie like press often does. Bowie only produced "Transformer" while the Spiders were hot. And besides - Mick Ronson does more than Bowie anyway.
"How do you think it feels? When you're speeding and foxy?
How do you think it feels? To always make love by proxy?
Page: 1 2