ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lou Reed, where do I start?! Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-04-03 04:28 AM
Zeeta I have Transformer and adore it - what should I get next?

09-04-03 05:14 AM
Egbert Metal Machine Music

(Ha ha, just kidding - you must NEVER, EVER buy that CD!)

I've heard that Street Hassle, The Blue Mask, and New York are pretty good, but haven't actually heard them. Maybe someone can weigh in with an informed opinion on those. But seriously, NO METAL MACHINE MUSIC.

Do you have any Velvet Underground?
09-04-03 05:16 AM
stonedinaustralia hey zeeta - "rock and roll animal" is a must have - a fantastic slab of live rock and roll

and if you haven't already you should familiarise yourself with the velvet underground

other favourites of mine include "street hassle" and "coney island baby" and "sally can't dance"

approach "berlin" (VERY depressing) and "metal machine music" (virtually unlistenable) with EXTREME CAUTION

cheers
09-04-03 05:26 AM
Zeeta Cheers guys!

I have White light / White Heat and the ubiquitous Velvet Underground and Nico. they are both pretty good but a bit "avant garde" sometimes! Nico's shrieking gets on my tits a bit too!

What other albums of VU should I get??

Cheers SIA and "eggy" - rock and roll animal - tell me more!

So Metal Machine Music is a must then?
09-04-03 05:36 AM
caro Berlin is great...very depressing indeed.
If you want a 'lighter' album,you can try 'New York' : it's quite a calm album, very funny lyrics. But I'm not sure if Lou himself still likes this one.
09-04-03 06:11 AM
Egbert Zeeta I share your pain in regards to V.U. & Nico and WL/WH - they both have their moments and were certainly cutting edge in their time but don't really hold up as CDs you'll want to play again and again.

Their eponymous 3rd release is all Lou Reed - Nico and John Cale are gone. Its quieter than the aforementioned pair, and almost folky - but still retains that classic V.U. weirdness.

"Loaded" is more conventional (and reminds me of the Dead in some spots) but it does have Sweet Jane, New Age, Train Round The Bend and Oh Sweet Nothing going for it.

If you're not picky about sound quality, Live 1969 Volume 1 may be the best bet overall.

On a related note, do you like the Stooges? Now there's a band!
09-04-03 06:21 AM
Zeeta The Stooges are almost TOO fucking good! ha!

Yeah love em mate - I have The Stooges and Raw Power. Raw Power is just so loud (easily the loudest album in my collection!), so filthy, so lewd, so rock 'n'n roll and just so RAW sometimes it is just too much! Before breakfast anyway! A real band indeed mate!
What other Stooges if any should I get? Any good live stuff?

Iggy is a god and his all time idol is Keith - nuff said!
09-04-03 06:24 AM
Egbert Imagine fingernails on a chalkboard in one speaker and the sounds a cat would make if being squeezed like a tube of toothpaste in the other. THAT'S Metal Machine Music.
09-04-03 06:43 AM
Egbert Oh yeah, ya gotta check out the Stooges' "Fun House" - me thinks its their best - totally wild album. If you like the other two you won't be disappointed. Another good one is "Year Of The Iguana" from Bomp! - a collection of outtakes and rehearsal tracks.

Not much live stuff to choose from - the "legendary" Metallic K.O. features some interesting (for lack of a better word) dialogue between Iggy and the audience, but the sound quality is shit - not worth buying.
09-04-03 06:54 AM
mac_daddy "New York" is good.

"Loaded" is awesome, and is in a class by itself.
09-04-03 06:54 AM
Zeeta Right then Eg!
I'll buy it - Cheers! Funhouse - must be fun!

09-04-03 07:06 AM
Egbert Amen Brotha Zeeta, amen. See ya in the Fun House - cheers!
09-04-03 09:31 AM
72Tele Rock and Roll Animal is a must have. It represents a very short period in Lou's career and isn't a true representation of Lou's sound. He never sounded like this record before or after. It was a one tour band loaned to him by Alice Cooper of all people. Lou remarks often that he hated that band, "it was the only band that I couldn't play guitar with", "they were too talented of musicians for me to play with". The Lou Reed record I cherish is the often forgotten "Take No Prisoners". This is a live record taped during the "Street Hassle" tour. This record is Lou at his best NYC self. Recorded at the Bottom line over three nights. His banter(and there is a lot of it) makes this record a real gem. Hard to find but so worth the cost and effort.
09-04-03 11:19 AM
purrcafe Metallic K.O. not worth buying?? I gotta disagree. Bad sound aside, it is an awesome document of the Stooges at their most confrontational. Other Iggy worth getting is: the first Stooges album, Rubber Legs, an amazing collection of post-Raw Power rehearsals, the Idiot, and Lust for Life. I saw two Stooges shows here in NY recently, and they were amazing. As far as Lou Reed/Velvets go, I think all the Velvets albums are worthwile (you can skip the final two that Lou didn't appear on). I agree that Rock and Roll Animal is a must, but STRONGLY recommend Berlin, which is probably the most depressing music ever made, and Street Hassle, the title cut of which might be the greatest rock song ever. The Blue Mask is great, as is Songs for Drella, the Lou/John Cale collaboration that led to the Velvets reunion. I think Metal Machine Music is worth picking up, if only because it reminds me of my youth - me and my best friend used to get high, turn the TV on to whichever station was only playing snow, and listen to MMM.
09-04-03 11:19 AM
jb Lou is a real credit to our people....He is also friendly with Mick. I think his best video was " I love you Susan".
09-04-03 11:40 AM
Joey " Lou is a real credit to our people....He is also friendly with Mick. I think his best video was " I love you Susan".

I would like to nuzzle you .

Josh , do you think Lou can kick Keith's Ass in a fight ????

Can Chuckie Boy ????????????? Daltrey ?!?!?!

Anyone ?!?!?!?!?!

Developing ..............................like a scab !

Jazzy !
09-04-03 11:42 AM
jb Lou avoided the bandana look ala Keith and got a very realistic hairpiece which looks terrif!!!
09-04-03 11:45 AM
Nasty Habits Fans of Rock and Roll Animal are directed towards the recent Italian release "Rock And Roll Poet", which is a live show from 1971. It was broadcast on the radio just prior to the release of Transformer, and the band Lou has backing him is called the Tots. They are much less slick than the Dick and Steve band represented on Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live and are kind of a middle ground between the big arena band and the Velvets. Sound, performance, and particularly Lou are all excellent on this release. Any fan of early 70s Reed NEEDS this little wonder.

Josh's post reminds me that New Sensations is definitely a Lou Reed album worth checking out/reappraising. I can also recommend the Blue Mask, but not as much as New Sensations. Terrific record.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
09-04-03 01:56 PM
Egbert purrcafe - can you elaborate on the Stooges shows? How was Ron sounding? Scott? Its amazing to think that after 28-29 some odd years they could pick up right where they left off. And Watt's a perfect bassist for them, too. I had to go out of town and missed the Jones Beach show - would have loved to have been there.

OK - I'll ease off on my assessment of Metallic K.O. a bit and will agree that it is essential for any full-blown Stooge fanantic - but would still rank it lower than the studio albums.

MMM? Yikes! What drug concoction would you recommend for the maximum listening experience?
09-04-03 02:03 PM
hotlicks All the Stooges and the Velvet Underground stuff is brilliant, but If I had to give my favourite all-time Lou Reed stuff from what I've heard, it would be the last 2 VU albums with him and his own solo Transformer.

Berlin is hard work, and not really my cup of tea. Thankfully I haven't heard Metal Machine Music, doesn't sound like my kind of thing. Metallic K.O is only really worth buying if you're a hardcore Stooges fan, as the sound quality IS terrible, but to be honest, I've heard worse.

By the way if you dig that stuff have you heard the NY Dolls or the MC5?

[Edited by hotlicks]
09-04-03 02:14 PM
purrcafe Egbert,

The Stooges Jones Beach show was one of the best concerts I've ever seen (and I started going to shows in 1976!) Material was drawn from the first two Stooges albums, plus one new song (Skull Ring). The band sounded great, absolutely brutal, and Iggy was more energized then I've ever seen him, I think. I really think that when he gets mesmerized enough by the music, he doesn't know where on stage he is going until he actually gets there. It was pretty interesting seeing him on a large stage, because it just gave him more to own. He was in the crowd probably a half dozen times, and he sounded great. The two highlights for me were Funhouse, where he started chanting at the end, "I am you, I am you" over and over while pointing at himself and then at the crowd. The other thing I'll remember was the obviously spontaneous encore of I Wanna Be Your Dog. They had already done it once. Iggy called the guys back out for an encore and told them to "bring your instruments." Ron came out, looked at Iggy kinda perplexed, and shrugged. Iggy walked over to him, said something, and they ripped into the song for the second time. Roseland was also great, but it seemed more rehearsed and there was an echo on Iggy's voice that was kind of annoying. After seeing him with these guys, I don't know why he'd ever want to play with anyone else. Get in touch with me and I'll burn you copies of Jones Beach and Coachella.
09-04-03 03:21 PM
Scottfree Not sure where you start, but you need to finish with "Set the Twighlight reeling".....It's better than New York
09-04-03 09:44 PM
Gazza In order :

1. Berlin - Lou's masterpiece. Don't be misled by the subject matter. Its one of the greatest albums of all time by anyone.
2. New York - runs "Berlin" pretty close.
3. Rock 'n' Roll Animal
(the "Lou reed live" album comes from the same gig. the CD reissue of "R&R Animal" contains the two remaining songs from this gig that werent on the original album)
4. Transformer (his most commercially accessible ablbum)
5. Street Hassle (the title track is the greatest song he ever did. watch out for the uncredited Springsteen cameo!)
6. New Sensations (very underrated)
7. Live - Take no Prisoners (Lou at his most bitter & twisted. The music's good but the rants at the audience and the world in general are fucking hilarious)

Most of the rest are quite patchy but generally have their moments, such as "rock n roll heart", "coney island baby", "Ecstasy", "growing up in public" etc. "metal machine music" was released as a sick joke...its 65 minutes of high frequency white noise. If you can listen to it and get something out of it, you need treatment.

I'd also recommend the 3-cd boxed set "between thought and expression" for a good overview of Lou's solo work up to 1991. Theres a lot of compilations (some of which cover the Velvets era also) but thats the most essential.
09-05-03 12:28 AM
BILL PERKS NEW YORK...........GET IT!BEST LYRICS I EVER HEARD.
09-05-03 03:27 AM
mac_daddy You scream, I scream, we all want Egg Cream!

Straw Man has some great lyrics, too.
09-05-03 04:02 AM
Zeeta Great stuff guys thanks for the advise.
Great story about the gig Purrcafe!
Cheers

Manchester tonight!!!!!!!!!
09-05-03 10:57 AM
jb I don't think the hairpiece should go unnoticed.He did a very good job.
09-05-03 11:12 AM
Factory Girl Zeeta, here's my take on Ig/Stooges.

Must Haves:

Funhouse & metallic KO.

Solo Ig-Instinct, Zombie Birdhouse, Avenue B, Brick by Brick, Party.

Plus, all the recoomendations by other folks here.

I love Ig, saw him 5 times!!!
09-05-03 11:16 AM
Boomy I highly recommend:

the Rolling STones: Dirty Work

The who: Face Dances and It's Hard

09-05-03 12:08 PM
Pattie
Check out my avatar Rollie
Page: 1 2