ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BACK TO THE USA??? Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-25-03 06:38 AM
stonedinjersey Does anyone know If the boys are coming back to the states later this year? I have heard rumours but nothing definite.
08-25-03 11:31 AM
T&A rumors are that a couple of California dates may be added to the Nov/Dec itiniery once the Far East dates have been rescheduled. Also - growing rumors that the Stones will do a "no security" type re-run through the US starting around April....
08-25-03 12:02 PM
jb i WOULD REALLY BE SURprised....they are really having trouble selling tickets as well as continuing to play poorly.
08-25-03 12:06 PM
Joey " Does anyone know If the boys are coming back to the states later this year? I have heard rumours but nothing definite. "

My sources in the Stones' Camp tell me that they WILL come back to the states and play the MidWest EXCLUSIVELY !!!!!

I hear things ....................

Some things ......................

Alright , toss in one more MSG date too ......but no L.A. Damnit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KINS !

08-25-03 10:49 PM
mnewman505 I have a good source at the Chicago Clear Channel office who says look for a short arena tour starting Jan 2004. He says the band has already put holds on some major arenas throughout the country. I don't know if this will actually materialize, but I think it's safe to say the band is at least seriously looking at coming back to the U.S.

08-26-03 03:16 AM
Gimme Shelter If they come to Northern California I'll be there again.
08-26-03 10:30 AM
T&A The way I see it is that the Stones will be very careful about wrapping up this tour. While the machinery is still in place it's relatively easy to keep adding a few dates here and a new leg there. But, once they say "enough" and dismantle the tour apparatus and team, it's pretty much over and done for another 3 years (at least). So, I think it's quite likely that we'll see new dates well into 2004 before they officially call the tour quits.
08-28-03 07:09 PM
Dan I hope they dont play any LA shows for a while. I just spent all my money on the Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead So Cal swing and about 30 other shows this summer. If I find enough change in the couch I might go see Mudhoney and the Hangmen this weekend.
08-29-03 01:11 AM
Madafaka Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead played together? WOW!
08-30-03 09:11 PM
Gazza as it doesnt seem he's back posting yet since his European trip,I'm sure Rooster won't mind me passing on this piece of info which he was told by a good source in Amsterdam last week.

Michael Cohl, Mick,Keith & Woody are committed to another North American tour from January - March 2004. Its only Charlie who hasnt agreed to doing so yet. No surprise about Keith & Ronnie wanting to tour and tour but apparently Mick is still very keen on doing so now as well. At the minute though, the last shows that are definitely ON are those in China in November. I dont know whether or not that North American tour will be extended to Latin America or if it will last into the summer in other markets.
08-31-03 03:24 AM
stones_girl "i WOULD REALLY BE SURprised....they are really having trouble selling tickets as well as continuing to play poorly."

They had a problem selling ME tickets because the price of the tickets were ridiculus. I haven't seen a stones tour since the Voodoo Lounge tour (saw 4 shows), so I can't comment on the "playing poorly." But if the Bridges to Babylon DVD is any indication of what they sound like on this tour, they are indeed playing poorly (or mixed poorly?). I had a last-minute-coincidental-kind-of opportunity to go see them in Philly this tour and almost did, but simply couldn't justify spending that much money.

I really think that it is time for the band to drop their "big" ticket pricing skeem and drop the "big" show extravaganza idea and return to the basic quitar rock/r&b that they do best -- fire the backup musicians/singers, unplug the stage except for maybe a HUGE screen directly above them showing them playing as a band, turn the amps up to "11", and rock out!

They are currently touring behind a very successful greatest hits release, so this tour would have been the perfect tour to "downsize" on and return to roots. Although the playlists have been GREAT on this tour, the look and sound has been dissappointing (or so I gather). They have toured now what? 4 times? with basicly the same look that they had in 1989. In the past all the Stones tours had a hugely different look, feel, vibe. The 69, 72, 75, 78, 81, 89 tours all were very distinctive in look and sound. Any Stone's fan can look at a picture or hear a boot from those tours and say exactly which tour it came from. But more importantly, all of those tours fit the times perfectly.

In that awfull paste-and-cut documentary "25X5" one of the people that has worked with the stones pretty much over their whole career (and I don't remember who it was) said that he thought the secret to the Stone's ongoing success was their awareness of who they are and what they do best. I am a huge fan of the band and hate to say this, but I think that that statement is no longer true about the band. Why that it is no longer true I am absolutely clueless. As early as the 72 tour Mick (and the rest of the band too) were, due to their wealth and rock star lifestyles, already completely out of touch with the ordinary lives of the people they were playing for. So you can't blame it entirely on filthy rich folks being no longer able to speak for the work-a-day masses.

The lack of radio play/support is another perplexing development. But other bands have been hugely successful without radio play or any kind of media coverage. The Grateful Dead and Metallica come to mind. The Dead were hugely successful as a touring act, and Metalica was hugely successful in CD sales before they got any good radio play. When's the last time you heard a post "Start Me Up" Stone's song on the radio? Case in point: the single "Don't Stop" should have gotten airplay. It didn't. Why?
08-31-03 10:12 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Michael Cohl, Mick,Keith & Woody are committed to another North American tour from January - March 2004. Its only Charlie who hasnt agreed to doing so yet. No surprise about Keith & Ronnie wanting to tour and tour but apparently Mick is still very keen on doing so now as well.

Gazza....you just keep making my day better and better.

Come on Charlie...and Shirley....you KNOW you want to come back to the States!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

LadyJ.
08-31-03 10:21 AM
Mother baby
quote:
stones_girl wrote:
As early as the 72 tour Mick (and the rest of the band too) were, due to their wealth and rock star lifestyles, already completely out of touch with the ordinary lives of the people they were playing for.

Yeah...it makes it a little harder to feel the Blues.
08-31-03 11:52 AM
T&A Stones-Girl:

I very good post...and I agree with you for the most part.

however, the reason the Stones haven't changed the basic approach since '89 is that the have settled into a "comfort zone." And, that's not likely to change at this late stage in the act. yeah, it would be cool to do a "retro tour" a la '78 or something, but we both know that's NEVER gonna happen now...
09-04-03 01:28 PM
Gazza From what I understand in the last couple of days, the likelihood of a tour in the US next year is becoming less and less likely unfortunately. Charlie simply doesnt want to do it, so it looks like the "Licks" tour will end in the Far East in November 2003.

Feel bad more for the people in Latin America who didnt get to see the band on this tour, but maybe if Charlie feels the tour has been long enough it might work out for the best - and it gives them a few months break in which time they can put some songs together for a new tour and studio album in 2005. Better they tour when they all want to instead of forcing themselves into it.
09-04-03 01:36 PM
jb I think it's safe to say this is it...Charlie's callous refusal to tour despite pleas from the rest clearly evidence he thinks it's time to quit. You can blame "beloved" Charlie for the end of the Stones as far as touring is concerned.
09-04-03 01:46 PM
Gazza absolute bollocks

does it ever occur to you the guy might simply be tired?

The licks tour was a one year deal - 2004 was never anything more than an option.

In the US you've already got to see them both in 2002 and 2003. You've done pretty well from what I can see.

The Stones dont OWE you or I a tour. They DO have lives. Maybe some of us should get lives too. The world wont stop revolving on its axis because the Rolling Stones dont do a tour close to your back yard that they'd never promised to do in the first place. Get over it.

If it bothers you that much,Josh theres still a month left of the European tour and you could always try Asia!
09-04-03 01:52 PM
jb It just pisses me off that Charlie is made out to be some saintly figure..he hates touring and if you think I'm arrogant, Charlie makes me look humble. He despises the fans more than Mick!!! He won't even shake hands going down the cat walk...Mick and Keith have begged him since 97 to tour and that's why they let him get that overblown ovation...who ever cared about Charlie until 94? It's all $$$$$ interests for Mick and Keith to keep him happy!!
P.S.-the way they keep cancelling shows makes it quite risky to travel overseas to see them....
[Edited by jb]
09-04-03 02:08 PM
Gazza get a flight that allows refunds if you cancel. Go on, you know it makes sense!
[Edited by Gazza]
09-04-03 02:36 PM
gotdablouse BRAVO Charlie!

Frankly, this touring with no new material is getting ridiculous, milking the West Coast one more time would really have been the last straw for anyone who still cares about the music and not just the "legend". Stones' tours used to be major events, now it seems they're continually touring, or should I say "milking"...

I agree about it making sense to add dates while the organization is still in place, but again, what's the friggin' point? If they played the entire Sticky Fingers or heck even Dirty Works, but to get a zillionth honky tonk (thanks Chuck) version of IORR or When the Whip...no thanks.
09-04-03 03:32 PM
Boomy On the next tour will they lower ticket prices??

09-04-03 03:46 PM
littleredrooster Sad but true,
A person extremely close to the band had personally informed me of Charlie's reluctance to continue the Tour in 2004. The plan seemed to be that The Stones would play North and South America during Jan, Feb, Mar, 2004.
Charlie wants a break after what appears to be 14 months on the road. He IS the stumbling block to the winter North American Tour. The words that I heard indicated that Cohl and Mick would tour forever! Charlie wants some private time and who can blame him for thinking that way after this recent, incredible run!

Further complicating a continued Tour is the fact that MANY of the Stones support staff, security and technicians are contracted to tour with U2 in 2004.

The ROOOSTAH CROWS!!!
[Edited by littleredrooster]
09-04-03 03:49 PM
jb I hate fucking U2,,but mark my word, their tour will be a phenomenal success .
09-04-03 03:54 PM
Joey " Sad but true,
A person extremely close to the band had personally informed me of Charlie's reluctance to continue the Tour in 2004 "

I am now stirred to sadness and quite visibly shaken to the core .

Where's that sharp knife ?
09-04-03 04:11 PM
LadyJane I see IORR has taken the "RUMORED" 2004 shows off of their site completely.

I'm so disappointed!!

LadyJ.

09-04-03 04:28 PM
nankerphelge I'm disappointed too.

BUT!

They've been at it for a year now and I can see where Charlie might want a break. Even with the nice digs along the way and breaks between tour legs, it has got to be tough. How long do any of us go without missing the comfort of our own homes?

They are all smart enough to know that the clock is ticking pretty quick for them now. If they are going to hit the road again in the future -- whether with new material or not -- they will have to do it sooner rather than later.

Let Charlie get some shit done at home.
Maybe they will polish off some new stuff or old stuff.
And more than likely, we will see some arena tour in a year or so.
09-04-03 04:48 PM
Joey " They've been at it for a year now and I can see where Charlie might want a break "

My Ass !

They easily could have avoided all of those worthless month's worth of dates in Germany and Japan and toured the states again .

I easily could have phrased the above sentence better .

I easily could take a little nap nap right about now .

I easily could meet you at Uncle Morty's say around .................Oh , I don't know ?????? ...........Six-ish ?!?!?!

Developing ....................like a pleasurable rash that gets under your skin and STAYS there .

Snarky !
09-04-03 05:36 PM
MidnightRambler I think the part about Charlie being arrogant that he doesn't even shake hands with people on the cat walk is not true. It's been said that Charlie gets pretty scared shitless as he walks down it because he's a afraid he might fall off. Maybe bending down to shake the fans' hands risks him falling over.
09-04-03 05:45 PM
Dan
quote:
Boomy wrote:
On the next tour will they lower ticket prices??

Not a chance. They will do even less shows spread out further making less total tickets available which means they can jack up the price even further.
09-04-03 06:02 PM
glencar I'm glad I'm seeing them in Dublin next week. I just wish Joshy was going. Or Joey.
Page: 1 2