ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Performing "Don't Stop" at the FleetCenter, Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jeff Beck Review Return to archive
09-14-02 09:01 PM
Honky Tonk Man WOW!

I think the show i got was just a little better then yesterdays!

The man is a genius and has lost none of his talent. I cant remember the entire setlist and im not sure of a few of the songs names, but all the songs i had heard before. Things kicked off at 7.45pm with a great LOAD version of his 1966 B side "Beks Bolero" Things then only got better! I heard great versions of "Freeway Jam" and early Jeff Beck group stuff like "Morning Dew" and "I Aint Superstitious"

The interval was crappy. Two bottles of Stella cost �6!

NOW, the second half of the show was in some respects the best and sadly the worst part of the part of the show.

Things started with The White Stripes "Yardbirds Set" It was really more of a Jeff Beck supports Jack and Meg White, rather then the other way round. Jack White screamed his way through "Heart Full Of Soul", "Evil Hearted You", "Lost Woman", "I Aint Got You" and "Mr Your A Better Man Then I" They also played abit of "Train Kept A Rollin'" at the beggining. It was a supreme moment. Jeff Beck looked so at ease playing these old Yardbirds songs. He also dug up "Im A Man" and an instrumental version of "Still Im Sad"

Then it was back to Jeff Beck. The guy is 58 but could pass for a guy in his late 40s. I knew what hed wear, black jeans and black vest. Always the same!

He bought on another guest. A guitarist called John Mc something? He was awful, the songs were awful. I wanted to go to sleep. Then things heated up. After bringing on his FOURTH GUEST! (He bought on some stupid looking woman too!) Paul Rogers from Free and Bad Company, it was time for Jeff to get his teeth into "Brush With The Blues" This was a real highlight, the crowd got into it, they were quiet at times. Then came a song id been hoping for. His epic version of "A Day In The Life" AWSOME!!!!!

The band then went off, Jeff Beck came on and did a breif instrumental which i had not heard before (I THINK!) Then came the evenigs biggie, the Encore of all encores, da da da da "HI HO SILVER LINING"! Jeff mutterd something like "I Dont Know Whether I Can Sing, But I Will Have A Go" He did fine. It turned into a sing a long with all the guests coming on stage to join in.

The guy is the greatest, he is at list maybe the most technical guitarist out there. I honestly dont know whether Mick Taylor could get the noises Beck was making. I want to thank

I want to thank Maxy for the two Jeff Beck cds he sent me, im listening to "Definantly Maybe" now. He did this song too.

Great Show

Alex
09-14-02 09:28 PM
Maxlugar Alex you lucky son of a bitch!!!!

Jeff Beck sends my soul to heaven and hell sometimes within the same song.

I am so glad you went.

Definitely Maybe? Shit!!! How did it sound? Christ, that is the best slide I've ever heard!!

I spent all last night getting drunk and making Joey a part two to the Jeff Beck starter kit and had a blast. You want a copy?

To bad that John McLaughlin brought the show down though. I had heard he was great. I have not heard any of his stuff though.

JEFF BECK RULES!!! (Except for the Stones of course)

Maxy!
09-14-02 10:37 PM
posada
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
WOW!

I think the show i got was just a little better then yesterdays!

The man is a genius and has lost none of his talent. I cant remember the entire setlist and im not sure of a few of the songs names, but all the songs i had heard before. Things kicked off at 7.45pm with a great LOAD version of his 1966 B side "Beks Bolero" Things then only got better! I heard great versions of "Freeway Jam" and early Jeff Beck group stuff like "Morning Dew" and "I Aint Superstitious"

Great Show

Alex

Wow, I'm totally jealous!! I've been waiting so long for him to come back around by my area! It was somewhere around '96 or so the last time I saw him and he was awesome! I've been waiting to go to another show ever since. Anyone know if he'll be coming to the states? He wasn't here and I missed it was he? I don't think so. Anyway thanks for the review and glad you got to go!
09-14-02 11:44 PM
Soul Survivor I havnt seen Beck. Never been much of a fan either. He's one of the guys I just could never get into. Same with Dylan
09-15-02 10:07 AM
Honky Tonk Man He was quite a good guitarist, but the songs he did with Beck were really really dull!

Maxy, id love a copy of Part 2

Alex
09-15-02 10:10 AM
Moonisup When did you went Alex???

rik
09-15-02 10:14 AM
Honky Tonk Man Last Night!

Great show, catch him if he comes to Holland soon!

Alex
09-15-02 10:23 AM
Moonisup Well if he comes to Holland I will definetly go!

Rik
09-15-02 12:14 PM
Maxlugar Posada you did miss him twice.

He toured after Who Else? and he toured after You Had It Coming. 2000 and 2001.

It'll rip your bloody head off!

He's that good.
09-15-02 03:48 PM
Martha [quote]Maxlugar wrote:

Jeff Beck sends my soul to heaven and hell sometimes within the same song.

I spent all last night getting drunk and making Joey a part two to the Jeff Beck starter kit and had a blast. You want a copy?

Maxy,

I would be interested in a copy of the JBSK if it isn't too much trouble. Let me know if you are cool with it and what you need from me.

Thanks!

get on board..you don't need no ticket..on the love train...
martha
09-15-02 04:24 PM
posada
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Posada you did miss him twice.

He toured after Who Else? and he toured after You Had It Coming. 2000 and 2001.

It'll rip your bloody head off!

He's that good.

Where was I? Did he comne to the Chicago area?
09-15-02 04:41 PM
Maxlugar Martha,

E-me at [email protected]. I'll send you Part I and II if you send your addy.

Posada,

I have no idea where you were but it wasn't at a Jeff Beck concert. If he comes to the U.S. this year keep your eyes open.
09-15-02 07:40 PM
posada
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Martha,

E-me at [email protected]. I'll send you Part I and II if you send your addy.

Posada,

I have no idea where you were but it wasn't at a Jeff Beck concert. If he comes to the U.S. this year keep your eyes open.

I usually hear most of the concert news, I don't know how I missed it. Do you know if he had dates in Chicago on those tours?
09-16-02 07:59 AM
Maxlugar I don't know for sure......

I can check though.
09-16-02 11:54 AM
posada
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I don't know for sure......

I can check though.

Ok thanks. I've been looking, but can't seem to find any thing. I can't find any actual tour date lists, just some fan reviews of show and none were from Chicago. There was one in St. Louis and one in Michigan though, but that's the closest I could find. If you find anything could you let me know?
09-16-02 12:55 PM
Martha Oh... THANK YOU... Maxy!

I just sent you a couple of e-mails with the info you need.

You rock!

developing..........................