ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Performing "Don't Stop" at the FleetCenter, Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: China shows Return to archive
09-14-02 07:06 PM
Meetch Does anyone have info?? Will they go to Shanghai?? Will it be in June/July??

Anybody know anything?

Thanks!
Meetch
09-14-02 09:22 PM
Gazza June- August will be Europe

The proposed Chinese dates (Beijing and Shanghai) are supposedly mid-march, ie around St Patricks Day

whether they'll come off or not is another matter..theres always a huge amount of red tape, political and administrative about playing shows in China. They're also now hoping for concerts in India in 2003,which I guess will also be around that time.

With a combined population in those two countries of 2.5 BILLION,thats quite a pair of lucrative markets for "40 Licks" !!
09-14-02 09:32 PM
stonedinaustralia this from a july '95 nme interview with keith:

"...Japan we played five years ago and that was the first time they let us in."

"Beijing - most sensible government in the world obviously still refuses us in. I got a long letter from the Chinese Government saying why I can't come in. Number One on the list was 'Cultural Pollution' and about Number 30 was 'Will Cause Traffic Jams!'. And in between is a whole load of other crap, the most amazing shit! Hahaha!"
09-14-02 09:35 PM
glencar I think China is one final obstacle for Mick. They've talked about it on at least the last two tours. I bet they don't do that many shows. I know someone who went to China recently. They said while poor, the Chinese are better off than the Russians.
09-14-02 09:54 PM
Gazza yeah youre right - the rumoured dates circulated at the announcement of this world tour were for Shanghai 13/3/03 and Beijing 17/3/03. IORR reports a possible show for Hong Kong also.

I've always thought it a bit strange that there was always such a political outcry when a band played a RIGHT wing country with bad human rights records such as South Africa (in the days of apartheid) yet there was never a fuss when anyone was allowed to play places like China with approval of THAT country's government. Anyway,I'm sure it'll be a huge media story if and when they do get there..and without any controversy hopefully!

Meetch - They'll be in Australasia in February and Asia in March. Europe will be mid-June until end of Aug/early September

Mick also talks in the new Billboard piece about the 2003 shows in China and India.

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/specialreport/index.jsp
09-14-02 11:48 PM
Soul Survivor It would be kind of cool if they played China. Don't ask me why...........
09-15-02 12:47 AM
fmk438j After this tour is over, I'd love to see someone make a poster with the world map, and at every single city the stones have ever played, have a small tongue. This would be real cool. Tongues scattered over the world It'd be like a map showing the world domination of the STONES.
09-15-02 11:22 AM
glencar Gazza, I don't think the Stones have ever played in a country ruled by a right wing dictatorship. They played S. Africa in 1995 which was a year after Mandela was voted in. I don't think I'll be too offended by them playing left wing dictatorial China. Maybe it'll help free up some of the restrictions. It can't hurt.
09-16-02 11:07 AM
juantcb Don't forget about Warsaw, 1967, on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.
09-16-02 11:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well, if nothing else, they should be able to find out what Chinese girls are hiding inside those silky sleeves!
09-16-02 11:12 AM
Moonisup
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
After this tour is over, I'd love to see someone make a poster with the world map, and at every single city the stones have ever played, have a small tongue. This would be real cool. Tongues scattered over the world It'd be like a map showing the world domination of the STONES.

Holland would be covered with tongues then! hha

rik