ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Performing "Don't Stop" at the FleetCenter, Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering the Buttons Return to archive
09-11-02 04:54 PM
Jerry in Boston I�m a 37-year-old man and Between The Buttons was my first experience with rock and roll. Believe it or not, that was when I was about 3 or 4 years old. My Grandmother had the album. Some of my first memories are of her teaching me how to play records on her portable stereo. After she felt comfortable with me using it, she�d leave me to play whatever I wanted while she went about her household business. I loved music� from the beginning of my life I�ve always wanted to be surrounded by it. I remember lying in her den in front of that stereo and playing records all day. Most of the time the only one I ever wanted to hear was the Stones record. I used to think it was so cool to turn the balance knob from left to right so that I could hear the different instruments, etc. There were even times when she�d join me in the den, lay down on the couch and tell me to play the �pretty blue record� � which she told me years later, was how I referred to the record as a toddler. I�d put it on track one (which, was always the one I wanted to hear because of the awesome piano) and she�d say �no, no, not that one� and I�d put on track 2 and again, �no, no, the next one, the next one�. Yeah, my Grandmother bought the record simply for �Ruby Tuesday�. Funny now to think about my Grandmother thinking that song was so beautiful. If I�m not mistaken, wasn�t Ruby a whore? LOL Anyway�

I recently picked up the remaster and couldn�t believe what I was hearing. A clear and precise version of the album I hadn�t enjoyed in years. They even brought back that cool left/right separation I had actually forgotten about years ago. �Ruby Tuesday� is especially beautiful again. For kicks, I put the old CD in and gave it a run, then the remaster. I could not believe how improved it sounded! It was as if some sort of dust filter had been wiped off of the old CD and now I could finally hear it properly. Mick�s vocals, especially during the chorus, are sweet and audible. On the old CD it sounded as if � well, compared to this one the old CD sounds like crap. �My Obsession� once again has a bit of a foreboding aura around it and �Miss Amanda Jones� also glistens nicely, especially the guitar.

I could go on and on about how much I love this record but suffice it to say, in my opinion, this remaster is the way Buttons is supposed to sound. I immediately felt as though I was 4 years old again, lying on my stomach in front of Grandma�s little stereo, tapping my foot while listening to the �pretty blue record�.
09-11-02 05:12 PM
Riffhard Great story Jerry,
Great album as well.I have yet to get the Buttons remaster.I think I'll pick it up this weekend.I got Aftermath UK.Man oh man!What a difference!There are instruments on Lady Jane that I did not even know were there before.It's like a new version.The marimba on Under My Thumb is incredible as well.It's just so much better all the way around.I think these remasters have a warmer feel to them.
I did get Let It Bleed also.What is up with the track separation?I thought there were supposed to be no spaces.Mine has the same spaces between tracksit's always had.What's up with that?It sounds fantastic though!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
09-11-02 05:22 PM
Nasty Habits
Between the Buttons is definitely the best reissue that I have heard yet.
09-11-02 08:05 PM
scope
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I did get Let It Bleed also.What is up with the track separation?I thought there were supposed to be no spaces.Mine has the same spaces between tracksit's always had.What's up with that?It sounds fantastic though!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]

LIB does sound incredible. I picked it up last week and can't play it enough. Love in Vain is great. Listen to the pick on the strings. You can hear the strings vibrating. Either that or I blew out a speaker already. As for the gaps, I hear that they only are missing when played on a SACD player.
I also have Beggars, which also sounds great, and plan to get Aftermath UK next.
09-12-02 12:02 AM
Jaxx thanks for ancedote. btb is one of my favorites. i like your taste.
09-12-02 09:51 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
thanks for ancedote. btb is one of my favorites. i like your taste.

Thanks Jaxx, I like how I taste... uh, I mean... my taste too. LOL

I just couldn't stand it. I tried and tried to hold back but after work last night I found my way to Tower Records. I picked up the last Aftermath UK that they had in the bin and also picked up Hot Rocks.

I got home and ran Math while making myself some dinner. I didn't actually "study" it but still was pleasantly surprised at how great it sounded on one run. It was especially nice to hear the long version of "Out Of Time" again... finally. I've had it on vinyl forever but my turn table checked out years ago and I never bothered to replace it. God, it was like hearing it for the first time.

I then listened to Rocks. Now again, I didn't "study" it against the old CD, but it didn't strike me as much-improved. My old CD is one I picked up in England about 10 years ago when I was in the Air Force over there and I always thought it sounded pretty good. So I'll have to play them both and compare more closely I guess.

Next on my list: Let It Bleed

~ Jer