ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Performing "Don't Stop" at the FleetCenter, Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anybody else go to tonight's show at the United Center? Return to archive
09-11-02 02:13 AM
posada Just got back about 45 minutes ago. Anyone else? What did ya think?
09-11-02 03:11 AM
Stonzy78 Outta 20 shows i've seen since '89 this is the best!!!The sound was incredible--I was lower level on the corner opposite end of the stage--I couldn't beleive it finally a guitar tour. Ronnie was on fire and well in the mix. CYHMK blew me away...The jam at the end i can't beleive it. When the Whip Comes Down was also another highlight just jammin'. And Satisfaction simply amazing, probably the best version i ever heard. The Stones were on tonight very energetic, very tight...they had a little trouble with If You Can't Rock Me but it was still great. Also i thought Don't Stop was excellent. Can't Wait for Comiskey 5th row STONES RULE!!!!
09-11-02 03:22 AM
posada
quote:
Stonzy78 wrote:
Outta 20 shows i've seen since '89 this is the best!!!The sound was incredible--I was lower level on the corner opposite end of the stage--I couldn't beleive it finally a guitar tour. Ronnie was on fire and well in the mix. CYHMK blew me away...The jam at the end i can't beleive it. Can't Wait for Comiskey 5th row STONES RULE!!!!

Glad to hear someone else loved Can't You Hear Me Knockin' as much as I did!! Wasn't the jam fantastic?! It made my night that they played that song! That alone was worth the ticket price. I was on the floor in the section in front of the B stage. Wow, 5th row for Comisky Park! Awesome! Have a fantasitc time!!
09-11-02 07:15 AM
parmeda Posada, I was there too...

What an incredible show. I've seen many through the years and this one has been "the topper" of them all.

To open with Street Fighting Man and jump right into IORR...SHIT! And Ronnie! Oh my God, Ronnie!! Have you ever seen ANYTHING like his performance! What a difference that man made...unbelievable. SHAME on all the critics that lambasted him just a few short weeks ago...TO HELL WITH 'EM AND KISS MY ASS! That man played his heart and soul and never, NEVER, missed a cord. To the fans that have seen him through the years...my friends, you are in for a delightful treat.

Keith...what in the hell could you possibly say about Keith? I've never seen him have more fun on stage. Everything was effortless with him. His and Ronnie's playing did nothing but compliment each other. And "The Worst", what a surprise...

Charlie! This was the first time that I've ever seen that man enjoy his job. No shit... and during the intro's, I believe he recieved the biggest and loudest applaud. Charlie was sooooo into each song, more than I've ever seen before. I think he actually was sweating.

And then there's my Mick!
(Where's that jackass that said 'Jagger is a joke of a man'?... "Hey buddy, after tonight, you can suck my ass through a paper straw!")
Mick was Mick, through and through, wolf pits and all! He's in incredible shape, and may God bless him...

Most of you by now have seen the set list. The stategy of the line-up was such an awesome mix. To have Stray Cat Blues near the beginning, followed by Far Away Eyes....CYHMK, Honky Tonk Woman and Satisfaction all in a row, slammed at you before the B-stage...Manish Boy, on the B, it's been years! SFTD along with JJF as an encore...be still my beating heart.

Today, Pammy is a very happy girl...

09-11-02 07:28 AM
nankerphelge Did Ronnie play the pedal on Far Away Eyes or the Worst or both?
09-11-02 07:31 AM
parmeda On both songs, Nank...
and did one hell of a job.

I can't tell you how proud I feel because of what Ronnie's gone through with his addictions...last night proved everyone wrong of what they've said about him.
09-11-02 07:44 AM
Maxlugar "I can't tell you how proud I feel because of what Ronnie's gone through with his addictions...last night proved everyone wrong of what they've said about him. "

Not to start another Ronnie fight here but these great Ronnie performances are proving us Ronnie bashers right.

That fact that everyone is gushing about him is justification that he really wasn't doing his job on the previous three tours.

I get goosebumps reading all these great Ronnie reviews and I love it and can't wait.

But you all must now admit that the music is kicking major ass now that he is actually playing and not sleeping on stage.

You all can't just turn around and say "See I told you he was just fine!" He wasn't. And he was dragging down the band.

But it seems he is back to '75 - '82 form and this is all us Ronnie bashers have ever wanted!

STONES!

M!
09-11-02 07:50 AM
nankerphelge Very cool. And Max, wait until you see the look in his eyes -- take a breeze through a Life on the Road and look at Ronnies eyes from the B2B tour -- looks like Steelie at the Renaissance!! You look now, and you see lucidity, you see determination, and you see a man that has won! I'm pumped for him. And for Philly. And NYC. And DC. And Hartford.
09-11-02 08:00 AM
parmeda
quote:
That fact that everyone is gushing about him is justification that he really wasn't doing his job on the previous three tours.

Max...I couldn't agree with you more! He pulled one over on all of us if you look at it from that point of view. And in being so, I'm grateful he decided to pull his head out of his crack...and now, everyone benefits from it.
I respect how you feel, Maxy...I had my doubts too in thinking he wasn't up to par anymore. He proved me wrong. Throw him a bone, hon...just make sure you don't hit his hands with it, lol. (He was sooooo "on it" last night.)

09-11-02 09:18 AM
daytfren That was the best show I've ever seen....my heart is still pounding(hubby don't even get it going like this).....definatly WELL WORTH the money spent would do it again in a heartbeat
09-11-02 10:33 AM
cherryred Probably the best stones show I've been to. CYHMK was definately the highlight of the show. Keef and Ronnie were right on from start to finish. We were sitting in 107 opposite the stage. Sound from the main stage was incredible and the vocals were the clearest I've heard. However, the B-stage sound was a bit muddy and the band seemed a bit off on Brown Sugar -- the United Center acoustics are notoriously terrible.
Will have to look for a SB recording of this show...

Can't wait till friday
09-11-02 01:19 PM
posada
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Posada, I was there too...

To open with Street Fighting Man and jump right into IORR...SHIT! And Ronnie! Oh my God, Ronnie!! Have you ever seen ANYTHING like his performance! What a difference that man made...unbelievable. SHAME on all the critics that lambasted him just a few short weeks ago...TO HELL WITH 'EM AND KISS MY ASS! That man played his heart and soul and never, NEVER, missed a cord. To the fans that have seen him through the years...my friends, you are in for a delightful treat.

Charlie! This was the first time that I've ever seen that man enjoy his job. No shit... and during the intro's, I believe he recieved the biggest and loudest applaud. Charlie was sooooo into each song, more than I've ever seen before. I think he actually was sweating.

Most of you by now have seen the set list. The stategy of the line-up was such an awesome mix. To have Stray Cat Blues near the beginning, followed by Far Away Eyes....CYHMK, Honky Tonk Woman and Satisfaction all in a row, slammed at you before the B-stage...Manish Boy, on the B, it's been years! SFTD along with JJF as an encore...be still my beating heart.

Today, Pammy is a very happy girl...

Wasn't it fantastic though?! Ronnie rocked!

and yes parmeda, Charlie did receive the largest applause during the intros!

Like you said, great songs. What a treat! Stray Cat Blues! Mannish Boy! Wow!

And of course, like cherryred said, CYHMK, the highlight of the show! That was an awesone jam!!
09-11-02 01:56 PM
littleredrooster Woody carried Keith tonight, he was the best that I have ever seen him. Keith seemed content to strum chords at times and enjoy himself playing on several numbers, clowning on others.
Ronnie was the star at United Center!

Comiskey next!
09-11-02 06:13 PM
Martha Dear God..thanks for the great reviews everyone....

I cannot wait to see them in Ohio...and it sounds as though it will be my best Stones shows ever!

Go Ronnie go......

I'm gonna have to start working out or I might have a friggin' heart atack seeing them playing so well!!!!

Don't stop...

09-11-02 06:31 PM
sly It really was a terrific show. By far better than any show during NS. Tons of energy from the band, especially Mick. I see on lots of message boards that people really hate them playing "Can't Turn You Loose", I thought that song rocked last night.