ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank you Throbby!
Giants Stadium Yesterday
© Throbby, thanks so much!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What is wrong with Sweet Neocon?.....from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 12th, 2005 09:15 AM
exile
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
No. 9 out of 10 terrorists report that Sweet Neo-Con has no affect on their Jihads.

This is ALSO very funny LMAO
September 12th, 2005 10:27 AM
Nasty Habits LOL!

The Stones recorded Sweet Neocon to gain terrorist sympathy so they wouldn't be attacked on the road!

All time classic, Max. I'm glad I finally read this thread.

What's right with Sweet NeoCon? The impulse towards provocation and protest, the placement of the song into a rasta-roots protest poor-Marcus context like Jah Is Not Dead, the harmonica, the last 30 seconds of massed Jaggers saying "yeah", and the final "neocon", and in my opinion, the target, providing the target is the administration, which may or may not be correctly labled as neocon etc etc.

What's wrong with Sweet NeoCon? It doesn't kick that much ass, it doesn't venture beyond well worn media anti-Bush soundbites, and it offers no new viewpoint of its own. As a summary book report of someone else's observations about the idiocy of the Bush administration it covers the bases. But Mick's viewpoints are usually complicated and he is usually implicated. And neither happens here. Which is halfassed Stonesview atbest. I would have preferred to hear an original viewpoint come out of Jagger's mouth.

Like Dangerous Beauty. Which treats Abu Ghriab like the most awful sex club in the world and gets away with it triumphantly. Although I'm not so sure that this was so much politically motivated so much as it gave Mick a chance to be completely misogynistic on some bitch's ass in 2005 and have no one come down on him. The imagery in this song is simply macabre and gets even weirder when you move it away from its actual context. To someone unaware of the Abu Ghriab connection this song must sound like Memo from Turner or something.

The album really starts to freakin' smoke with Oh No Not You Again, picks up steam with Dangerous Beauty, and gets freakin' intense as all git out with Laugh I Nearly Died. That run is the best on any Stones record since Dirty Work/Had It With You/Sleep Tonight. Neocon spoils that momentum towards the end of the album and Cat Dragged In can't pick it back up agin. That's what's REALLY wrong with Neocon.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
September 12th, 2005 11:43 AM
HomerJRichards There are 15 good tracks on ABB and sweetneocon isn't one of them.
September 12th, 2005 02:54 PM
texile [quote]Nasty Habits wrote:
LOL!

The Stones recorded Sweet Neocon to gain terrorist sympathy so they wouldn't be attacked on the road!

All time classic, Max. I'm glad I finally read this thread.

What's right with Sweet NeoCon? The impulse towards provocation and protest, the placement of the song into a rasta-roots protest poor-Marcus context like Jah Is Not Dead, the harmonica, the last 30 seconds of massed Jaggers saying "yeah", and the final "neocon", and in my opinion, the target, providing the target is the administration, which may or may not be correctly labled as neocon etc etc.

What's wrong with Sweet NeoCon? It doesn't kick that much ass, it doesn't venture beyond well worn media anti-Bush soundbites, and it offers no new viewpoint of its own. As a summary book report of someone else's observations about the idiocy of the Bush administration it covers the bases. But Mick's viewpoints are usually complicated and he is usually implicated. And neither happens here. Which is halfassed Stonesview atbest. I would have preferred to hear an original viewpoint come out of Jagger's mouth.

Like Dangerous Beauty. Which treats Abu Ghriab like the most awful sex club in the world and gets away with it triumphantly. Although I'm not so sure that this was so much politically motivated so much as it gave Mick a chance to be completely misogynistic on some bitch's ass in 2005 and have no one come down on him. The imagery in this song is simply macabre and gets even weirder when you move it away from its actual context. To someone unaware of the Abu Ghriab connection this song must sound like Memo from Turner or something.
[quote]

excellent analysis nasty - of both SN and Dangerous beauty - the latter is the one we SHOULD be talking about and the one that SHOULD have gotten the attention - it's perfectly ambiguous and sinister on so many levels - INCLUDING the mysogynist angle - yes - jagger really gets worked up about dastardly females - and this time - it's truly warranted ...great fucking song.
September 13th, 2005 08:30 AM
Nasty Habits Another thing right with Neocon - that weird creaky vocal overdub thing before the last verse. What's up with that?

September 13th, 2005 09:30 AM
exile I must say that at first listen I wasnt so crash hot on Dangerous beauty, however it has now grown on me, to a large extent.

I always loved the guitar riff but it was the chorus that bugged me, however now its one of the songs thats contastly in my head from the album.

Love the lyrics.."keeping everyone awake at night with a poke from the prod?" is that right

very funny

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)