ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank you Throbby!
Giants Stadium Yesterday
© Throbby, thanks so much!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What is wrong with Sweet Neocon?.....from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 10th, 2005 06:52 PM
Taptrick

I prefer ivey league...vastly superior....
September 10th, 2005 09:02 PM
Maxlugar Yeah great idea! Let's write a song encouraging the enemy while our boys (Brits as well) are in the field with their lives on the line.

I can accept them criticising the US if there were some balance here. Where are the 911 or UK subway bombing or Spain train bombing protest songs? What about the suicide bombings in Isreal? It's not like they're lacking for subject matter. No, Mick choose to be PC. I also wonder if he did it to protect themselves on the road.

Sickening song.

September 10th, 2005 09:07 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:

.........and rightly so.

Are you the real one dude?!?!
September 10th, 2005 09:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
T&A wrote:
i think it's easily among the best 5 on the album. and i also submit that those who profess to hate it are just red-staters who won't admit it. and...they'll deny that. killer track - the biting lyrics work PERFECTLY with the music, creating an almost "Masters of War" type of marching protest song. Good job, boys....

sorry, but thats balls. Tod. You're seeing that entirely from a US perspective. A lot of us outside the US couldnt give a flying fuck whether its Republican, Democrat or anything else.

I have no problem with the sentiment or motive. It doesnt bother me in the slightest that the Stones choose to write a song thats politically motivated. As long as its not a song expressing a sentiment thats bigoted I dont have a problem with them or anyone recording anything like that, regardless of what 'side' its on.

I just think the lyrics are fucking awful and bordering on infantile. An opportunity wasted.

If I want to hear good,biting political lyrics, I'll listen to Steve Earle's last album. Sweet Neo-Con is the runt in the litter of an otherwise excellent record.
[Edited by Gazza]
September 10th, 2005 10:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Where are the 911 or UK subway bombing or Spain train bombing protest songs?

well, at the risk of stating the obvious, the album was finished before the bombs in London on July 7th. Theyve already previously recorded a song condemning terrorism ("Blinded by rainbows"). Why repeat themselves?
September 10th, 2005 10:13 PM
Lethargy Neo con sucks on so many levels. The main one is that, as a 'protest' / bush-bashing song, it's full of laughable cliches. Halliburton? Gas prices? The Christian thing? Conviction with no trial? So silly. All tired, worn out cliches from the american leftists.

And it's not that I'm a huge Bush fan. It's just that better, more compelling, more interesting bush-conservative-republican-bashing lyrics would have been so much easier to write.
September 10th, 2005 10:20 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Halliburton? Gas prices? The Christian thing? Conviction with no trial? So silly. All tired, worn out cliches from the american leftists.

kinda like the Constitution, eh you fascist pig opponent of what this Great Nation once was?

September 10th, 2005 11:05 PM
poor immigrant This is a very badly written song. The music is worse than the lyrics. You can tell songs where the words are written first and this is one. They forced those lyrics into this go-nowhere arrangement that just doesn't work. By far the worst track on the album. I remember when there were rumblings that the song wouldn't make the final tracklisting. People would've assumed that they got scared of the political fallout, so they had to put it on. They should've left it off. It makes ROCK IN A HARD PLACE sound like GIMME SHELTER.
September 10th, 2005 11:57 PM
cooper What's wrongWith Neo-Con? To me the whole song sucks. A waste of a track. I would rather have seen a NR studio demo come out than that piece of shit.
September 11th, 2005 12:28 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Yeah great idea! Let's write a song encouraging the enemy while our boys (Brits as well) are in the field with their lives on the line.

I can accept them criticising the US if there were some balance here. Where are the 911 or UK subway bombing or Spain train bombing protest songs? What about the suicide bombings in Isreal? It's not like they're lacking for subject matter. No, Mick choose to be PC. I also wonder if he did it to protect themselves on the road.

Sickening song.

1. They did the 9/11 benefit show in NYC. I'm pretty sure that was anti-9/11. Remember it?

2. Critizing George Walker Bush III and calling him a retard is not encouraging the enemy. If it was half the Bush administration, including some who still work there, most Republicans in Congress, and most conservative writers with any credibility would be encouraging the enemy. I think negotiating with known terrorists (e.g., Quadaffi, insurgents in Iraq, the mullahs of Iran, etc.) and saying truly demented shit like "I don't think you can win it" encourages the enemy. At least more than a song called "Sweet Neo-con" does. But thats just my correct opinion.

3. Oh wait, "Sweet Neo-con" wasn't about George Walker Bush III. Never mind what I correctly stated in paragraph 2.

4. It goes without saying that the Stones and everyone in the civilized world condemns 9/11 and the London bombing. This strange tactic of requiring significant outspoken condemnation of those events is as fucked up as loyalty oaths. You know, I've seen you condemn 9/11 a little bit Max, but did you REALLY condemn it? I mean like super really condemn it? Not as much as I did. I've condemned 9/11 AND the London bombing more than any has. I hereby double condemn them again. So, I know what I'm talking about.
September 11th, 2005 02:31 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Gazza wrote:

If I want to hear good,biting political lyrics, I'll listen to Steve Earle's last album. Sweet Neo-Con is the runt in the litter of an otherwise excellent record.
[Edited by Gazza]

Condi Condi is not an example of 'good, biting political lyrics' either. In fact it's rather childish.
September 11th, 2005 03:29 AM
exile The lyrics are awful and infantile... BUT pretty spot on!

September 11th, 2005 03:36 AM
buddy What the FUCK is George Bush doing in Iraq anyway when he should be looking for Osama Bin Laden.

September 11th, 2005 08:06 AM
star star worst example of shite dad-rock. please lets hope they never fall into that trap again
September 11th, 2005 10:09 AM
wgwalsh How is NEOCON doing in Iraq ? Is it getting much edited radio airplay ? Should help with the Iraqi album sales. Then they buy some other titles, from the catalogue, and before you know it, the revolution is strong and deeply rooted.
September 11th, 2005 10:57 AM
icydanger well i don't think this is the biggest mistake of.....

sweet neo-con, somehow turned bitter
i am happy, finally a clear position,
it is an aknowledgement to existing problems,
though it is my least favorite, musicalement parlant.

and, it reminds me somehow of "Running out of luck" (85)

cheers

*pass rain
September 11th, 2005 01:27 PM
Gazza
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Condi Condi is not an example of 'good, biting political lyrics' either. In fact it's rather childish.

I had The Revolution Starts Now, Home to Houston, Rich Man's War and Fuck The CC amongst others more in mind,to be honest

Condi Condi is obviously a light hearted piss take. Its still a better song than Sweet NeoCon, though, even though the two have a different angle...
September 11th, 2005 03:29 PM
Maxlugar [quote]sirmoonie wrote:

2. Critizing George Walker Bush III and calling him a retard is not encouraging the enemy. If it was half the Bush administration, including some who still work there, most Republicans in Congress, and most conservative writers with any credibility would be encouraging the enemy.

Uh yeah all that shit encourages them. The enemy is not trying to win a war militarily but on the PR front. All just another brick in the wall. And our Stones just contributed.
[Edited by Maxlugar]
September 11th, 2005 03:36 PM
Maxlugar [quote]Gazza wrote:

well, at the risk of stating the obvious, the album was finished before the bombs in London on July 7th.

True. My point was there a loads of incidents to pick from. Write a song about it.

Theyve already previously recorded a song condemning terrorism ("Blinded by rainbows"). Why repeat themselves?

Repeat themsleves? They've written approximately 13,435 songs about fucking. A couple about Islamic fundementalists wanting to bring the world back into the 16th century might be worthwhile...
September 11th, 2005 03:39 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]sirmoonie wrote:

2. Critizing George Walker Bush III and calling him a retard is not encouraging the enemy. If it was half the Bush administration, including some who still work there, most Republicans in Congress, and most conservative writers with any credibility would be encouraging the enemy.

Uh yeah all that shit encourages them. The enemy is not trying to win a war militarily but on the PR front. All just another brick in the wall. And our Stones just contributed.
[Edited by Maxlugar]

No. 9 out of 10 terrorists report that Sweet Neo-Con has no affect on their Jihads. Some even declared a fatwa on Mick Jagger. Its the Rolling Stones, after all.
September 11th, 2005 03:44 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
[quote]sirmoonie wrote:

[Edited by Maxlugar]

You espouse demagoguery and anti-Americanism more effectively than any of our opponents with your snide, backhanded attempts to stifle dissent. You surely make the Founding Fathers spin in their graves and have not clue one about the principles upon which this once great nation was founded. 'No enemies list'!? "you're a crock of shit"

September 11th, 2005 08:35 PM
Saint Sway As someone who finds Bush dispicable, I was stoked to hear this song. I loved that the idea of the Stones sticking their necks for a change.

and I can see why people are dogging the lyrics. But I thought they were cool and then....

I heard the song.

and its SUCKED. And I was so dissapointed at the lousy faux reggae treatment they gave the song. If they had only given it a sound that was more rockin and angry and edgy sounding like Wicked As It Seems or Hand Of Fate or Respectable it would of made for a classic.

as it is, it sucks and probably will never get played. They really missed the boat with this one.

(since I have now stated my dissapointment with this song, my detractors here are now free to go ahead and flame the Black Crowes. Enjoy.)
September 11th, 2005 08:44 PM
exile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
(since I have now stated my dissapointment with this song, my detractors here are now free to go ahead and flame the Black Crowes. Enjoy.)

thats pretty funny
September 11th, 2005 08:52 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Gazza wrote
I just think the lyrics are fucking awful and bordering on infantile. An opportunity wasted.

Very eloquently put! I'm about as far left as you can get and I find that lyrics are juvenile and the music sounds "assembled" not composed!
September 11th, 2005 09:15 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Where are the 911 or UK subway bombing or Spain train bombing protest songs? What about the suicide bombings in Isreal?

It's pretty universally accepted here in the civilized world that bombing to effect change is barbaric.
September 11th, 2005 10:43 PM
glencar Yes, the politics of the song are all wrong. But I do like the first third or so of the song. Then it just doesn't go anywhere.
September 11th, 2005 11:28 PM
Saint Sway Ben Harper just released a song that fucking nails it!
This song slams home just how many of feel that the debacle in New Orleans is the absolute last straw. Cool tune too. Got a Temptations Ball of Confusion vibe.

you can listen here:
http://media.putfile.com/BenHarper-BlackRain

Black Rain ~ Ben Harper

You left them swimming for their lives down in New Orleans
Can't afford a gallon of gasoline
With your useless degrees and your contrary statistics
This government business is straight up sadistic

It's a Black Rain
Oh it’s a black rain
It’s going to fall..

You don't fight for us but expect us to die for you
Have no sympathy for us still I cry for you
You may kill the revolutionary
But the revolution you can never bury
And it wont be long till the people fill the streets
We come for you, one and all

That's a black rain, yeah that's the black rain
Going to fall

Don't you dare speak to us like we work for you
Selling false hope like some new dope we're addicted to
I am not a desperate man but these are desperate times at hand
This generation is beyond your command
And it won't be long til the people flood the streets to take you down
One and all

It's a black rain
Talking bout a black rain going fall....
September 11th, 2005 11:35 PM
glencar Oh yeah, that has "hit" written all over it. That song makes SNC seem like Gimme Shelter. It nails nothing.
September 12th, 2005 12:00 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
Oh yeah, that has "hit" written all over it. That song makes SNC seem like Gimme Shelter. It nails nothing.

this line nails it. IMO.
"You don't fight for us but expect us to die for you"

to me, that says it all right there.

as far as hits go... well, we all know that these days hit songs are strictly for the Ashlee Simpsons and the J-Lo's. Some bands may desperately crave a hit song. And theres way too many Stones fans around here who needlessly worry about record sales. But artists like Ben Harper could care less. Its not what motivates him. He just put this out for his fans to listen and share bc he has something to say. You won't find it on the shelves of your Virgin Megastore next to the latest Maroon 5 single.

September 12th, 2005 08:34 AM
Jair
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

fuck nietzche...lets rock
evrybody is too hung up on the lyrics
question is does it make you want to shake your @@@@@##@??
Drunkely edited by SiaUbermencsch

Check Nieztche below:
As you can see, he didnt give a shit to the song. Didn't make he shake his ass.

Seriously, a think too rude they enter your home, grab your money and call you a shit. Doesnt matter if you are a republican or whatever. Like Gypsy use to say, GROSS!

[Edited by Nieztche]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)