ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank you Throbby!
Giants Stadium Yesterday
© Throbby, thanks so much!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What is wrong with Sweet Neocon?.....from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 10th, 2005 06:42 AM
IanBillen
So many here explain Sweet Neocon as either the weakest track on the album or the one they could of left off. I totaly disagree. I think it is hard-hitting and new age sounding good track. It is also very catchy and IMHO is certainly album worthy. If you don't agree with the lyrics that is one thing but musically I think it is kinda semi-profound. Good harmonica and vocals by Mick and even shows Mick as his old self in "it's giving me the shits", a laugh out loud lyric. I think it is a strong song. It is The Stones in 2005. I was, and still am really surprised many find it sub-par. I really dug it as soon as I heard the clip on Amazon and I love the outro.

*Secondly, and IMHO not that they ever should of considered it, if they did decide to leave it off the album many would say The Stones lost their balls and were afraid to offend anyone these days since we all previously got wind of this song and it's content. I think it is one of the stronger tracks on the album actually and I like every part in the song (we will keep it musically speaking and leave the politics out of it for me). Chorus, and all I think it is well done production wise as well. Sweet Neocon actually impressed me.

Ian
September 10th, 2005 06:51 AM
lotsajizz the ones who profess to hate it can't get past the (spot-on) lyrics
September 10th, 2005 06:56 AM
exile
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
So many here explain Sweet Neocon as either the weakest track on the album or the one they could of left off. I totaly disagree....I think it is a strong song. It is The Stones in 2005. I was, and still am really surprised many find it sub-par.

I have to say i love that track
I like it musically a lot, simple, nice harp.

The more I listen to the album the more I like it.
I have just come back from the supermarket and had it baring in the car. It is a fantastic album.

This is definitely the finest album since TY

closely followed by VL

September 10th, 2005 07:39 AM
Jumping Jack It was voted as the worst song on the CD over on Shidoobee.
September 10th, 2005 07:41 AM
exile
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
(spot-on) lyrics

September 10th, 2005 07:44 AM
stonedinaustralia

i bought the CD yesterday (more on that later)

neo con i like

it's a protest song but jagger's assumed voice of the protagonist makes it almost hilarious , "it gives me the shits" - how profound!!

the way he sings/ryhmes "pentagon" - it gives me a wry smile

quite to very good

it's no treatise (thank god) - but i doubt he would have said it merely because he thought it was a "marketable" comment

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
September 10th, 2005 07:50 AM
Rizollin Great sounding tune, lyrics make me cringe, depending on my mood. Sometimes I can accept it, but other times, I wish I was the Stones' lyricist because I could pull better words outta my...ahh forget that idea, it's giving me the shits.
September 10th, 2005 08:09 AM
Nellcote Listening to it right now.
Very basic, good groove.
September 10th, 2005 09:34 AM
gimmekeef Its just a little too long..They could have put in some type of guitar solo in the middle to break it up a bit.Like the start but imo tends to drone at the end...
September 10th, 2005 09:44 AM
exile
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i bought the CD yesterday (more on that later)

Hey SIA,
I was wondering what you thought of the album.
I actually emailed you, because you had been very quiet on the subject. Didnt realise you had not bought it yet

So what do you think?
September 10th, 2005 10:19 AM
Jair Ryhming 'pentagon' & 'gone'?
Come on!!!

Even ME & my poor English could do it better trying a bit.

Its an infantible song, poor lyrics & ridiculous chorus.

Should be on Primitive Cool, at the best.

And more important, Nietzche also didnt like it!
September 10th, 2005 10:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Its just a little too long..They could have put in some type of guitar solo in the middle to break it up a bit.Like the start but imo tends to drone at the end...

exactly.I skip it after the first chorus.
September 10th, 2005 11:07 AM
the good I made a post a few days ago about how it was growing on me, and it still is! Its got a great groove to it.
September 10th, 2005 11:34 AM
T&A i think it's easily among the best 5 on the album. and i also submit that those who profess to hate it are just red-staters who won't admit it. and...they'll deny that. killer track - the biting lyrics work PERFECTLY with the music, creating an almost "Masters of War" type of marching protest song. Good job, boys....
September 10th, 2005 12:14 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Jair wrote:

And more important, Nietzche also didnt like it!

fuck nietzche...lets rock

evrybody is too hung up on the lyrics

question is does it make you want to shake your @@@@@##@??

Drunkely edited by SiaUbermencsch
September 10th, 2005 12:18 PM
Col
quote:
T&A wrote:
i think it's easily among the best 5 on the album. and i also submit that those who profess to hate it are just red-staters who won't admit it. and...they'll deny that. killer track - the biting lyrics work PERFECTLY with the music, creating an almost "Masters of War" type of marching protest song. Good job, boys....

Well, I hate it and I'm in the tartan army. Killer track my ass... Micks' singing is just cringeworthy on this one, as it is on many new Stones tunes. Same goes for lyrics, but yes, it is a perfect match, music and lyrics are both shit!
September 10th, 2005 12:21 PM
lotsajizz herectics shall be burned at the stake at dusk
September 10th, 2005 12:23 PM
star star what a perfect song for phoebe in friends to sing. rhyming 'certain' and 'halliburton', she would be proud of it. why does mick have to rhyme all the time nowadays anyway?
September 10th, 2005 12:29 PM
T&A
quote:
Col wrote:

Well, I hate it and I'm in the tartan army. Killer track my ass... Micks' singing is just cringeworthy on this one, as it is on many new Stones tunes. Same goes for lyrics, but yes, it is a perfect match, music and lyrics are both shit!

like I said - they deny it. I rest my case.
September 10th, 2005 12:31 PM
Bloozehound The intos promising, but then it goes straight down hill after that, easily one of the crappiest and most boring songs on the album, lyric and music-wise

if this is what it takes to get your "balls" up, you must of not had much of a pair to begin with

a big to do about nothing

skip it
September 10th, 2005 01:20 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
It was voted as the worst song on the CD over on Shidoobee.

.........and rightly so.
September 10th, 2005 01:34 PM
Col
quote:
T&A wrote:

like I said - they deny it. I rest my case.

Yip, you got me there. I think some U.S. folks hearing has been affected by the political message in the song. I aint involved in U.S. politics and I can clearly hear this is a lazy and uninspired song. I wasn't around when Street Fighting Man came out but I can hear that that song was inspired, vital, and charged in every way. Great lyrics most likely inspired by great music. If you have poor music to begin with, the lyrics you come up with are more likely to be crappy IMO. Example in case: Sweet Neo-Con.
September 10th, 2005 01:37 PM
kath i LOVE it...i love the groove, i love the lyrics...i love the message.....

the album is wonderful.
September 10th, 2005 02:21 PM
Zulu Fun Mix It grooves. It's a great song, my third favorite on the album. Charlie's work is perfect on it. The way Mick syncopates (shifts the emphasis around) with the harp in a couple of places gives it a great loosey-goosey, almost Thelonious Monk-ish, forward-thrusting feeling. But I do agree with gimmekeef that the song needs a bridge somewhere in there with a virtuosic lead guitar solo. Then again, that's true for almost every song on the album.
September 10th, 2005 03:10 PM
ListenToTheLion What's wrong with you posing this question?
September 10th, 2005 05:08 PM
Dan Sounds like Mick wrote some bad lyrics over one of the rejected intro tapes from a recent tour. Not particularly noteworthy, I am already skipping over it.
September 10th, 2005 05:19 PM
pdog I beleive Jaggers is approval rating is over 40...
That's all that matters!
Sweet NeoDog!
September 10th, 2005 06:02 PM
goodfelladh The lyrics come off as a incredibly corny... just so over-the-top that I kind of wondered if he was being serious when I first heard the song. Writing a protest song is one thing, but at least be clever lyrically with it.

Really the only song on the CD that I don't care for... which is pretty good out of 16 tracks, so I can live with it.
September 10th, 2005 06:46 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
goodfelladh wrote:
Writing a protest song is one thing, but at least be clever lyrically with it.

neoshitheads deserve no cleverness to be wasted upon their bible humping, oil crazed, GOP America destroying heads!! the song delivers a message directly because subtlety goes over the neocon's (shit)heads
September 10th, 2005 06:50 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

neoshitheads deserve no cleverness to be wasted upon their bible humping, oil crazed, GOP America destroying heads!! the song delivers a message directly because subtlety goes over the neocon's (shit)heads

temper temper, red
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)