ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank you Throbby!
Giants Stadium Yesterday
© Throbby, thanks so much!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When did Keith give the band to Mick? Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 9th, 2005 05:29 PM
MikeyC613 When did Keith decide to let Mick completely run the show? I think the only real Rolling Stones song on the new album is "Rough Justice"; it seems like the only one they actually sweated it out and made a real song out of the ideas they had floating around. The others seem just like that: ideas, mostly belonging to Mick Jagger. Keith hasn't written a real rock song since "Can't Be Seen". It pisses me off to see Ronnie get sober and clean up his act, Charlie to beat fucking cancer and play better than he ever has, and Mick to do anything in his power to make this album and tour happen, and Keith is just kind of sitting around and checking shit out. He needs to take Charlie's example to heart and find some serious ambition. I've heard too many people call A Bigger Bang the best solo Mick Jagger album, but it's true. Keith is a shadow on this album, and his decline in the band hasn't been too well documented, because they haven't recorded in 8 years. Consider it documented now. Wake up, Keith.
September 9th, 2005 05:33 PM
Saint Sway very true. very sad. but very true.
September 9th, 2005 06:38 PM
ListenToTheLion Maybe he has no inspiration anymore? When I saw him last tour Keith was playing Keith.
September 9th, 2005 06:39 PM
Egbert A case can be made that Keith ceded ownership of the band to Mick as far back as 1973 when he fell down the heroin hole.

The guy's in his 60s, has partied more in those 60 odd years than most would do in 5 lifetimes, and his fingers are seriously fucked up.

Cry in your beer and "document" his demise all you want - I'm relishing the fact that here, in 2005, the Stones have put out a studio album, the anticipation of alone well worth the $9.99 I paid for it. I like it. Sorry you don't.
September 9th, 2005 06:44 PM
ResidentMule "Cry in your beer and "document" his demise all you want - I'm relishing the fact that here, in 2005, the Stones have put out a studio album, the anticipation of alone well worth the $9.99 I paid for it. I like it. Sorry you don't."

nailed it. honestly if it sounds a little too much like a Jagger solo album I'll be the last to bitch. the more things I can find that contrast this album from Voodoo Lounge the better for me. every album should show a different side or at least slightly different angle to the band, and if this angle just happens to favor Mick that's fine by me. it sure as hell wasn't the case with the last album, where I'd credit all the good songs to Keith
September 9th, 2005 07:07 PM
mr. jimmy I've been really pissed at Keith about this too. He says that music is still his passion- so why doesn't he take more control of the band? And why no solo albums in a decade?
I just bought the album and I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of it is very catchy and there are some nice sounding choruses- I'm guessing these attributes should mostly be credited to mick.
I don't think I'll listen to it much though for the same reason I don't love any of the stones albums from steel wheels onward: Mick's vocals are way too prominent in the mix and are annoyingly over-annunciated. And he constantly repeats the same couple of phrasing patterns. It's like he's doing a caricature of 1960's-70's Mick Jagger. And what happened to his writing ability? Normally I focus mainly on the instruments when I listen to music but when writing's as bad as this I really notice it:

When love comes so late
It'll really hit hard
It slams through the gate
It'll catch you off guard
And everyone said
what a perfect love match
Cause she is so smart
She's a hell of a catch

How can that cliche-riden dreck written by the same man who wrote lines as vivid and original as:

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill

or

I shouted out "Who killed the Kennedy's ?" when after all
it was you and me
Let me please intruduce myself I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I lay traps for troubadors who get killed before they reach Bombay

or

there's fever in the funk house now

or

Joe's got a cough, sounds kind a rough,
Yeah, and the codeine to fix it.
Doctor prescribes, drug store supplies,
Who's gonna help him to kick it?

If I can recognize that the writing on the new songs is crap and that mick's singing is way too mannered and that the vocal mix is all wrong, then Keith's got to know it. So why doesn't he do something about it instead of making passive aggressive comments about mick having a small penis.
I know that the stones will never make an exile on main st. again but they still have the potential to make great albums. This one is so close that it hurts me.
Mick and Keith need each other and make each other better. But it seems that keith is being way too passive right now. He's got to rein in mick's worst tendancies.

And while I'm ranting against mick: please give him a guitar when they play live. he plays it pretty well and it prevents him from doing his "jazz hands" routine. His 'dancing' ruins concerts for me the same way that his recent singing ruins albums.

[Edited by mr. jimmy]
September 9th, 2005 07:13 PM
ListenToTheLion [quote]I know that the stones will never make an exile on main st. again but they still have the potential to make great albums.[quote]

Why do you think that? I think they don't have that potential anymore although I like ABB very much. But great albums like they made in the sixties or seventies: no.
September 9th, 2005 07:30 PM
exile Its absolutely ridiculous to say Mick wrote the whole album
September 9th, 2005 08:53 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
exile wrote:
Its absolutely ridiculous to say Mick wrote the whole album

He didn't write the *whole* album. He wrote 11 of the 16 on his own and co-wrote three others.
September 9th, 2005 09:00 PM
exile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
He didn't write the *whole* album. He wrote 11 of the 16 on his own and co-wrote three others.

Thats also ridiculous because you dont know that at all.
September 9th, 2005 09:11 PM
Navin Why not use Ronnie's input...the man can obviously write, and has done so just great on many past occasions (sometimes credited and sometimes being an "inspiration")

This Jagger/Richard duopoly makes no sense at all..."Why so divine?"
September 9th, 2005 09:11 PM
texile yeah jimmy...TRITE is the word.
or:
'all your sickness - i suck it up
you throw it all at me -
i shrug it off..
there's one thing baby -
i don't understand,
you keep on telling me i ain't your kind of man....'

THAT's a great love song.
September 9th, 2005 09:15 PM
throbby Having seen the Stones at the Fenway opener I can honestly say that Keith's arthritic fingers had no problem kicking the shit out of me quite a few times. Ask JB, he'll tell you the same.
September 9th, 2005 10:00 PM
the good
quote:
exile wrote:

Thank you, Exile. Where did this idea come from? Mick does NOT run the band. A lot of the songs on ABB are distinctly Keith; He is all over Rough Justice, It won't take long, and Dangerous beauty, just to name a few.
September 9th, 2005 10:35 PM
PeerQueer Good God some of you are pathetic!

After many listens, this album has both Mick and Keith all over it - in fact, there are numerous tracks that ring very much like Winos-era inspired music. (a good think I might add)

Mick and Keith are still with us - as is Charlie after battling an insidious disease.

Shut the fuck up and enjoy the tunes - or just turn on something else - or go get fucked for God's sake as you cleary need to clean the pipes a bit!
September 9th, 2005 10:42 PM
full moon Get the fuck out of the gutter..........
September 9th, 2005 10:58 PM
Riffhard
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Good God some of you are pathetic!

After many listens, this album has both Mick and Keith all over it - in fact, there are numerous tracks that ring very much like Winos-era inspired music. (a good think I might add)

Mick and Keith are still with us - as is Charlie after battling an insidious disease.

Shut the fuck up and enjoy the tunes - or just turn on something else - or go get fucked for God's sake as you cleary need to clean the pipes a bit!

Note to self-never piss off a gay Stones fan.

I must say that I fully concur with you PQ!

Riffhard
September 9th, 2005 11:38 PM
exile
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Good God some of you are pathetic!

Fucking Oath!!

This is finally the cd we've all been waiting for! Rockers, ballads, blues, slide guitar, LESS KEYBOARDS and great vocals!

This is a very solid, melodic, well-connected cd that flows well and kicks ass in the right places!

If you dont like it put on something else...stop your bitching...

you obviously THINK you know what the stones should sound like MORE than they do! STFU!!
September 10th, 2005 12:09 AM
Daethgod dude
i reckon the lyrics rock .. the boys are back and I am stoked ...
check these :
------------------------------------------
One time you were my baby chicken
Now you've grown into a fox
And once upon a time I was your little rooster
Am I just one of your cocks?

It's rough justice, oh yeah!
You're gonna have to trust me
It's rough justice
But you know I never break your heart

So put your lips to my hips baby
And tell me what's on your mind
I know you still got that animal attraction for me
It's been a long, long time
------------------------------------
And you’re clutching your phone
As you walk in the dark
And your smile's got a twist
You’re looking so hardcore

If you’ve something to say
Don’t be too direct
'Cause I feel a little fragile
Don’t hit the nail on the head
-----------------------------------
And it won't take long to forget you
Time it passes fast
Maybe all be over in a minute
You'll be in the past
Follow it up in this strange grey town
They build it up and let it all fall down
Feel like we're living in a battleground
Everybody's jazzed

Follow it up in this strange grey town
The paint is peeling and the sky turned brown
The bankers are wankers, every Thursday night
They just vomit on that ground
I hear a preacher on the corner
Ranting like a crazy man
He says there's trouble, troubles are coming
I can read it like the back of my hand

I see love, I see misery
Jamming side by side on the stage
In the wind some mournful melody
I can read it like the back of my hand
----------------------------------------
She saw me coming
She saw me coming, yeah
I didn't see a thing
I wasn't looking
I just walked into it
Sucker for it, I'm a sucker
Thought I was so cool
She saw me coming
Boy did I get screwed
-------------------------------------------
I acted impatient, I acted unkind
I took her for granted, I played with her mind
She didn't deserve it but it was too late
I walked out the door and left her to her fate
-----------------------------------------
Is funny how things go around
But go around they do

This place is empty
Empty
So empty without you
-----------------------------------------
I've told you before and i'll tell you again, and again, and again
Can't you get it thru your head
You're not my friend
And i've tried to be nice but now i'm not going to lie
So i suggest you leave before i make you cry, bye

I like to be sulky
I like being vile
I like to make you angry, i like it all the while
I like to know that you're hated, it makes me smile
But i dont like you, i dont like you, i dont like you
---------------------------------------------
Who you got there in that hood, you look so fancy in those photographs
With your rubber gloves on you're a favourite with the Chiefs of Staff

You're doing such a wonderful job
You're a natural at working with dogs
Keeping everyone awake at night
With a touch of the prods

Well you're a dangerous, dangerous
A dangerous beauty
Yeah, disdainfully, painfully
A bit of booty, yeah
----------------------------------------------
Been travelling far and wide
Wondering who's going to be my guide

Living in a fantasy but it's way too far
But this kind of loneliness is way too hard
I've been wandering, feeling all alone
I lost my direction and I lost my home...Well

I'm so sick and tired
Now I'm on the side
Feeling so despised
When you laugh, laugh
I almost died
And listen now, the gasoline
I drink it every day
But it's getting very pricey
And who is going to pay

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con.... Yeah

It's liberty for all
'Cause democracy's our style
Unless you are against us
Then it's prison without trial
-------------------------------------------
I'm going to criticize you and I hate to ostracize you
What a bad night
Where you've been
Lost weekend

You look like a tumble of spades
It must get a horrible taste
You look like a fucker, Sergeant Pepper
Are you going to throw up all over my face

Look what the cat dragged in
Take it right out again
Get out of my house with your dirty old mouth
Take it right out again
But if the rain starts swamping your windscreen
And the lights don't piss through the night
And the trucks coming at ya
Just gonna splat ya
The highway's blinding and bright

You're goin...

Outta your brain, outta your mind
You're so deranged, you're going blind
-----------------------------------------------
Oh why have you got it in for me
Things they are not what they seem
You're living in a nightmare baby
But I mistook it for a dream
Yeah just for a dream
But I mistook it all for a dream, yeah
---------------------------------------------

yer baby !!
September 10th, 2005 05:19 AM
IanBillen [quote]exile wrote:

I totally agree. Do folks honestly think Keith isn't writing with Mick as always....? Do you think Keith just sits there fiddleing with his guitar tuning knobs and says "oh, I love it Mick" then another song goes down to tape, or disc. Compare Godess to ABB. There is a major difference besides the production, song writing is alot more solid. Keith is needed, yesterday and today.

Without Keith: you get Godess in the Doorway
With Keith: you get A Bigger Bang.

The better outcome is your opinion.

Ian
September 10th, 2005 07:58 AM
Rizollin The problem with Mick is he has become a bit too talented a musician for his own good. I love "A Bigger Bang" but Streets of Love is still the forgotten forgotten tune off the Alfie soundtrack. Love it to death though. Hated it at first until I realized what it was.
September 10th, 2005 08:39 AM
rollmops Hey, I am upset too. Where the fuck is Keith? Backing vocals,the fucking Rolling Stones trade mark is absent onABB. Why? 2 voices are better than one.
Rock and roll, mops
September 10th, 2005 08:45 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>>His 'dancing' ruins concerts for me the same way that his recent singing ruins albums.<<<<

Pleaseeeeee! What the fuck are you talking about? Mick is the greatest frontman in the history of rock, and duh, his dancing has a hell of a lot to do with it. He's a great dancer and it's HIS way of dancing that turns Micheal Jagger into
"MICK JAGGER"!
September 12th, 2005 12:01 AM
mr. jimmy
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
>>>His 'dancing' ruins concerts for me the same way that his recent singing ruins albums.<<<<

Pleaseeeeee! What the fuck are you talking about? Mick is the greatest frontman in the history of rock, and duh, his dancing has a hell of a lot to do with it. He's a great dancer and it's HIS way of dancing that turns Micheal Jagger into
"MICK JAGGER"!

I completely agree that he's the greatest frontman in the history of rock... but somewhere along the line I think he forgot how to move on stage.
If you watch "gimme shelter" he looks possessed by the music. Image is very important in rock music and the way he moved around on stage added to the danger of the music.
When I watch him now, I just feel embarrassed. It has nothing to with age because Iggy Pop can conjure up the feeling of danger better than ever. Mick just seems so choreographed- To me, it's like 'n sync without the rhythm.
I like it when he plays guitar live because then the stones look like a band. I know a lot of people enjoy it but to me his dancing feels so forced that it's a real distraction from the music. I'm much happier when they show keith on the jumbotron.
I don't mean to sound so negative. I love the band, like the new album and have complete respect for mick's contribution to rock history. I think I'm just sick of the generally positive but totally unspecific and dispassionate reviews that I always read about the stones recent work ("best since some girls blah blah blah".) There are a few things that frustrate me about the band these days and I wanted to put them into words. It wouldn't upset me unless I thought they were still great and capable of even better.
September 12th, 2005 12:34 AM
gustavobala i believe was in 1989, how condition to mick back to the stones.....
September 12th, 2005 10:40 AM
jb Mick's dancing b/c extremely choreagraped starting in 89....Priot to that, very spontaneous and more reactive to the music and grove as opposed to his very well rehearsed moves since 89. Part if it also is the lack of interplay b/t him and Keith/Ronnie....
As far as Mick taking control of the band, I think he always was more or less in "control", but Keith shared the musical/writing partnership 50/50. I would say anything post VL has had MJ written all over it .....maybe Keith just doesn't have the creative fire ....While I really don't like most of the jaggeresque songs, Mick is at least trying to still create some type of new sound(which I disagree with)..Keith seems content to play the sleepy ballads, which contrary to what anyone says, are fine on an album but totally slow the excitement of the show....Atleast throw in T&A or "Coming Down Again"..............
September 12th, 2005 10:51 AM
blackandblue
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick's dancing b/c extremely choreagraped starting in 89....Priot to that, very spontaneous and more reactive to the music and grove as opposed to his very well rehearsed moves since 89. Part if it also is the lack of interplay b/t him and Keith/Ronnie....
As far as Mick taking control of the band, I think he always was more or less in "control", but Keith shared the musical/writing partnership 50/50. I would say anything post VL has had MJ written all over it .....maybe Keith just doesn't have the creative fire ....While I really don't like most of the jaggeresque songs, Mick is at least trying to still create some type of new sound(which I disagree with)..Keith seems content to play the sleepy ballads, which contrary to what anyone says, are fine on an album but totally slow the excitement of the show....Atleast throw in T&A or "Coming Down Again"..............

JB when did you give this board to Joey?
September 12th, 2005 11:58 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
mr. jimmy wrote:

...I love the band, like the new album and have complete respect for mick's contribution to rock history...

Hi mr. jimmy

Welcome to Rock's Off and thanks for your early contributions.

Please consider re-registering with another username in order to avoid possible confusion. I sometimes love confusion but not when it involves my name. I hope that sounds friendly enough.
September 12th, 2005 12:12 PM
blackandblue
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

Hi mr. jimmy

Welcome to Rock's Off and thanks for your early contributions.

Please consider re-registering with another username in order to avoid possible confusion. I sometimes love confusion but not when it involves my name. I hope that sounds friendly enough.

Who is the real mr. Jimmy?
September 12th, 2005 12:14 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
jb wrote:
..Keith seems content to play the sleepy ballads, which contrary to what anyone says, are fine on an album but totally slow the excitement of the show....Atleast throw in T&A or "Coming Down Again"..............

I couldn't agree more...

I don't want to hear Keith sing a ballad in a huge stadium... it's always a low point for me, brings down the show, and it means that it's one less opportunity for me to hear him play one of his great rockers.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)