ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank you Throbby!
Giants Stadium Yesterday
© Throbby, thanks so much!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LIND and the fun spoiler Return to archive
September 8th, 2005 04:01 AM
FotiniD Don't know if anyone's had this... "idea" before but just wanted to share.

So I'm listening to A Bigger Bang last night, I'm loving every single little part of it (knew it was going to be good is my latest mantra) and I'm hooked like many of you on Laugh, I Nearly Died. I put it on repeat and go bananas when I actually listen to the "I've seen Greece and Rome" line - I had read the lyrics, I had listened to it online, how the heck did I miss this line? That's my definition of feeling national pride

BUT, a non-Stones fan friend of mine was also listening to LIND and all of a sudden he goes "hey, that sounds a lot like American Woman". American Woman? Of the Guess Who? Yes, he says. So what do you guys think? Does it indeed sound like American Woman or has he lost his mind?
September 8th, 2005 06:02 AM
Gazza when I first heard the song, I actually thought he was saying "I've seen priests in Rome".....another in a long line of classic misheard lyrics!
September 8th, 2005 08:03 AM
corgi37 Just like "Scuse me, while i kiss this guy" - eh, Gazza?
September 8th, 2005 08:10 AM
UGot2Rollme Like you, I love this tune. I don't hear American Woman, though. The way Mick sings the verse (until chorus) reminds me of Marvin Gaye. I think it's one of his best performances.
September 10th, 2005 09:17 PM
gotdablouse Yes that one has Marvin Gaye/Curtis Mayfield written all over it, a good thing too !
September 10th, 2005 09:27 PM
J.J.Flash Brilliant song! I simply loved it all the way...
September 10th, 2005 09:40 PM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Just like "Scuse me, while i kiss this guy" - eh, Gazza?

my mum, on hearing the chorus of "respectable" was convinced that Mick was singing "crack the bone..."
September 11th, 2005 08:12 AM
corgi37 Wow! hahahaha.
September 11th, 2005 08:54 AM
Daethgod and what about that Creedence classic " theres a bathroom on the right .."

and any James Reyne

September 11th, 2005 10:54 AM
lotsajizz I dig the coda with the chanting backing singers....
September 11th, 2005 01:46 PM
Taptrick
I'm not hearing any similarities to American Woman. Specifically, how does your friend think they are alike?
September 11th, 2005 06:42 PM
maumau
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I dig the coda with the chanting backing singers....

that is: Mick, Jagger, one of the glimmer twin guess who (clue: he's name is not Keith), a skinny singer from the Rolling Stones, the maracas player from the same band (and he is not Blondie!) and who else?

brilliant song
can't stop listening to it
September 12th, 2005 02:38 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

I'm not hearing any similarities to American Woman. Specifically, how does your friend think they are alike?

He says it's not the music, it's the way Mick sings it.

Brilliant song indeed. It's the one that gets me most hooked from ABB so far, along with Back of my Hand.
September 12th, 2005 02:31 PM
gimmekeef I dont hear American Woman at all....as far as screwed up lyrics..my wife and I always yell out during Tumblin Dice..."Dont Jews ever frown"....(dont need no jewels in my crown)..But we're loaded when we do!
September 12th, 2005 06:25 PM
FPM C10 Huh? "American Woman"? Um...no. It IS sung similarly, in that both singers open their mouths and force air through their larynxes.

However, my compatriot SS is spot-on when he points out that "Look What the Cat Dragged In" is actually "Suicide Blonde" by INXS. I mean, if they gave k.d. lang a co-writing credit for ASMB simply because the chord structure was similar, then they owe the estate of Michael Hutchence SOMETHING.

Which sucks because I like the song. It really gets a head of steam built up, but then that guitar riff comes in and I remember that I never particularly liked INXS.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)