ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thank you Throbby!
Giants Stadium Yesterday
© Throbby, thanks so much!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Finally! After 8 long years...... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
September 7th, 2005 11:56 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
jb wrote:

I gave my copy of GITDW to a guy who use topost here named Fiji Joe........

And I can tell you he didn't like your gesture at all.
September 7th, 2005 11:57 AM
BlindLemon Actually, a quick off topic question, Ju: could u tell me who recorded the original song with the chorus "dans la vie, il y a des cactus"? And what the title is? Thnx a lot.
September 7th, 2005 12:08 PM
Joey [quote]Phog wrote:

That said, I don't get the urge to skip over any of them. It ain't perfect by any means, but this record gets a big thumbs-up from me. "

Natch !

Flacky

September 7th, 2005 12:09 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Actually, a quick off topic question, Ju: could u tell me who recorded the original song with the chorus "dans la vie, il y a des cactus"? And what the title is? Thnx a lot.

it's Jacques Dutronc "les cactus"...one of the most famous 60's tune from our poppy country!
September 7th, 2005 12:35 PM
BlindLemon Thnx, maybe I was lucky than. Heard a great version of it on the street, just off the Bastille on a 13th July a few years back, by a heavily blues-tinged band. Spiced it up with some mean Chuck Berry fills.
September 7th, 2005 12:58 PM
caro
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Laugh, I Nearly Died. No I just laughed. This song is dumb. What's with the chants? Ridiculous. Mick isn't even slightly believable in his delivery. Crap. Minus.

After listening to the song a few times, I agree. It sounds like he's got too much time on his hands to sing that song, like "and now I'm getting ready to hit *that* note, and - dig it! - I hit it!!"
One thing I love about Mick's vocals on slow songs is he usually seems rather impatient. I don't remember who said that during gigs, Mick always tries to speed the song up while Keith tries to slow it down -- that's certainly how it sounds to me. And it makes those slow songs vibrant, because Mick seems to have this urge to avoid that people leave to buy their beer & come back for "Satisfaction". LIND is boring to me because Mick sounds like he's taking his time.

(Disclaimer : It's the first album in 8 years, so I feel allowed to post at least one or two pointless theorizations of untheorizable stuff on ABB :-)
September 7th, 2005 01:12 PM
Some Guy I gave it another listen (under less stressful conditions) and I must admit it is starting to move me.
September 7th, 2005 01:13 PM
Saint Sway the chants in Laugh is the best part of the song. Those chants remind me of cool X-Pensive Wino tunes.
September 7th, 2005 02:35 PM
texile i like most the funky songs - raw - but the ballads are weak; i agree with ss and caro about jagger's vocals on laugh.....he kills the song with that voice - this is mick trying too hard to be soulful abd sincere....it sounds forced and whiny; ditto biggest mistake - generic lyrics;

and blind lemon - i think dangerous beauty might be the real political song on the album with those references.......this one is my favorite lyrically - this is the lyricist in jagger i love....
help me out though - what the fuck is he talking about....
because i definately hera the dark political overtones...and i miss being confused and fascinated by jagger's lyrics; this is the best one for me.
September 7th, 2005 03:38 PM
Jerry in Boston I actually really dig most of this album. I would keep:

1. Rough Justice
2. Let Me Down Slow
3. It Won't Take Long
4. Rain Fall Down
5. Back Hand
6. She Saw Me Coming
7. Oh No, Not You Again
8. Dangerous Beauty
9. Sweet Neo Con
10. Cat Dragged In - reminds me of INXS for some reason.
11. Driving Too Fast
12. Infamy

I don't care for: Streets of Love, Biggest Mistake, Empty Place, and Laugh I Nearly Died

So I guess each of us likes/dislikes different songs. Still, I think it's a very nice album and I like the quantity of songs because it gives us more to like/dislike. LOL

September 7th, 2005 03:38 PM
BlindLemon Texile,
gotta go now, but if u start up a DB thread, IŽll be more than glad to comment tomorrow. I really do think there is interesting stuff going on in the song. Or IŽll just start one up myself.
BL
September 7th, 2005 04:33 PM
texile start one up because you're an elder here....
give me some theories - i think it's fascinating....
September 7th, 2005 05:09 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I gave it another listen (under less stressful conditions) and I must admit it is starting to move me.

********* END TRANSMISSION *********
September 7th, 2005 06:06 PM
Some Guy I'm in! It's official! The new Stones moves me!
September 7th, 2005 06:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot So. I slept on it. Played it again 4 more times today.

I like it less today than I did yesterday.

Into the minus column go:

It Won't Take Long
This Place Is Empty
Sweet NeoCon
Look What The Cat Dragged In

I still like Rough Justice(sort of), Back Of My Hand, Oh No Not You Again(I REALLY like this one), and Infamy.

OK, now this is a negative review. I don't like 12 outta 16 songs. Bummer. I really wanted to like this too.

The big problem that I'm having is that this isn't my idea of rock n roll music. Most of these songs sound like Adult Contemporary pop. That is just not my scene. My dad listens to that sort of stuff a lot. You know, those gawdawful radio stations that play "rock n roll without the hard edge...". Well, I like the hard edge of rock n roll dammit. I don't like "soft rock" or "pop rock". Nothing against those that do like that sort of thing...I just don't.

Let's just say that I'm having some stylistic differences with the Stones right now. The Stones can put out whatever type of music they want, more power to 'em. I don't think any less of them.

Fortunately for me, the new songs that the Stones are playing live, are all songs that I like...RJ, BOMH, ONNYA, Infamy. Have they played Streets Of Love yet live? I really do not like that one. Man, I hope they stay away from that one at MSG.

I'm gonna listen some more, but this album just isn't getting it done for me. So, go ahead. Flame away. I've said all I have to say. All I can do is be honest. If that pissed you off....too fuckin' bad.
September 7th, 2005 07:12 PM
the good
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So. I slept on it. Played it again 4 more times today.

I like it less today than I did yesterday.

Into the minus column go:

It Won't Take Long
This Place Is Empty
Sweet NeoCon
Look What The Cat Dragged In

I still like Rough Justice(sort of), Back Of My Hand, Oh No Not You Again(I REALLY like this one), and Infamy.

OK, now this is a negative review. I don't like 12 outta 16 songs. Bummer. I really wanted to like this too.

The big problem that I'm having is that this isn't my idea of rock n roll music. Most of these songs sound like Adult Contemporary pop. That is just not my scene. My dad listens to that sort of stuff a lot. You know, those gawdawful radio stations that play "rock n roll without the hard edge...". Well, I like the hard edge of rock n roll dammit. I don't like "soft rock" or "pop rock". Nothing against those that do like that sort of thing...I just don't.

Let's just say that I'm having some stylistic differences with the Stones right now. The Stones can put out whatever type of music they want, more power to 'em. I don't think any less of them.

Fortunately for me, the new songs that the Stones are playing live, are all songs that I like...RJ, BOMH, ONNYA, Infamy. Have they played Streets Of Love yet live? I really do not like that one. Man, I hope they stay away from that one at MSG.

I'm gonna listen some more, but this album just isn't getting it done for me. So, go ahead. Flame away. I've said all I have to say. All I can do is be honest. If that pissed you off....too fuckin' bad.

LOL. That sucks man. You must be so bummed out. I'm sure you were really looking forward to it to. Like a kid getting coal on Christmas morning...
September 7th, 2005 07:19 PM
Saint Sway Sir Stones.

I agree with everything you wrote. You nailed exactly how I feel about this record.

It just aint the Stones. Theres some flashes but mostly it just reminds me of one of those awful Rod Stewart records. Back when he thought he still rocked, only he had been putting out lame radio friendly rock pop for a decade and the albums just kept getting worse and no one bothered to tell him he didnt rock anymore. Trying to rock - just not trying to rock too hard so that he'd still be FM friendly and could compete with the current pop scene. Those were horrible records.

Well, thats what this feels like. Just trying too hard to be contemporary instead of just being a raw Stonesy record.

oh well.

we shall go down in flames together.
September 7th, 2005 07:38 PM
sammy davis jr. They should just stick to the blues these days. It's always been and always will be what they do best.
September 7th, 2005 07:46 PM
exile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Well, thats what this feels like. Just trying too hard to be contemporary instead of just being a raw Stonesy record.

WTF??? So now they are trying too hard to be contemporary??? instead of just being a raw Stonesy record.????????????

are we listening to the same album?????????

man..you guys have some serious issues....you need help

[Edited by exile]
September 7th, 2005 07:56 PM
IrelandCalling4 Yet Another 2 cents..

With almost a week now to digest & explore the brand new Stones opus(save for 6 tracks I'd heard plenty in the weeks previous),I must say there is a lot to savour. Initially,I was in the half great,half so-so camp,but,with time,others have grown on me,specifically "Biggest Mistake",which I hadn't cared for at all!

It's not an album with the best material collected over 8 the years previous,it's simply the stones in 2005. At first,given the intense anticipation & hype,I was a wee bit disheartened,even though there were,even on first listening,touches of brilliance. I do feel some of them are underwritten/underdeveloped,but,on the whole,so far,there are 9 I would love,comprising my very own edited Great Rolling Stones album in 2005..and,for my two cents,here they are:

1. Rough Justice
2. Rain Fall Down (loved this one from 1st hearing! Slinky,funky & addictive)
3. Back Of My Hand
4. Laugh I Nearly Died
5. Streets Of Love (I like it* Sorry to those ONNSOL folks^A wee bit cliched at time,but,charming)
6. Look What the Cat Dragged In
7. Oh No Not You Again
8. Biggest Mistake
9.This Place is Empty (a better closer than 'Infamy' methinks)

Those 9 would make a fabulous,varied & quality album IMO. "Infamy" and "She Saw Me Coming" are serious growers though,almost added them to the list. Bonus tracks on my 9 favourites maybe^!

Bubbling under--"Dangerous Beauty","It Won't Take Long" & "Driving Too Fast" are missing something,missing that sparkle that make ONNYA & RJ so good. "Sweet Neo Con" & "Let Me Down Slow" don't grab me(yet!).

Overall,one happy stones fan. Sure,some filler on there,but,with at least 9 tracks that I love and keep coming back to,in 2005,it's a satisfying collection.
September 7th, 2005 08:11 PM
Glimmer I cannot believe how many negative comments I have read about A Bigger Bang. I have been waiting for 8 years for a full CD of new material and I for one am not disappointed. Sure I have favorites...and sure there's a song or two that I think are the weakest of the bunch. If you're looking at having an entire album of songs that are like Gimme Shelter...give me a break. For those of you who think they should have got it down to 10 - 12 songs...well then you would have missed out on 4-6 new Stones songs. I guess you don't want them to release a box set some day of unreleased Studio songs. I sure hope they do. I think A Bigger Bang is great overall. I think it's a lot stronger than Bridges. I quite liked Voodoo but I think overall A Bigger Bang may be better...time will tell. You definitely have to give it more time than a couple of days to make a fair judgement as I don't know how many times I hear a song at first and think it's okay only to end up thinking it's great. Cramming a bunch of plays in 1 - 2 days isn't the same as giving it time...you need days...even weeks.
September 7th, 2005 08:43 PM
exile
quote:
Glimmer wrote:
I cannot believe how many negative comments I have read about A Bigger Bang. I have been waiting for 8 years for a full CD of new material and I for one am not disappointed. .... I think A Bigger Bang is great overall. I think it's a lot stronger than Bridges. I quite liked Voodoo but I think overall A Bigger Bang may be better...time will tell.

I cant believe it ethier......
back whe B2B and new songs on Forty licks were released everyone was saying how over produced they sounded. What they wanted was a back to basics raw stones record....

now they get exactly that......and its still not good enough for some.

Im actually going to go away from these stones bashers for a while and enjoy the album on my own. Without having to listen to all these negative comments and ruin my own enjoyment of a fantastic album.
September 7th, 2005 08:47 PM
lotsajizz you people are heretics who shall be cast into the Lake of Fire and whipped by the Beast with 7 Eyes!

Cazart!

September 7th, 2005 09:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Cramming a bunch of plays in 1 - 2 days isn't the same as giving it time...you need days...even weeks.<

Maybe you do. I don't. I know when I don't like a song.

I like rock and roll. The vast majority of A Bigger Bang is not rock and roll. At least, it's not what I call rock n roll. I don't need to give it more time. More time is not gonna add danger or edge to this music. It is what it is, and isn't what it isn't. Time won't make a lick of difference.

>are we listening to the same album?????????<

It's called different strokes for different folks dude. Thank god we don't all gotta be like you.

>man..you guys have some serious issues....you need help<

No I don't. Especially from you. Fuck off.

September 7th, 2005 09:07 PM
exile
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No I don't. Especially from you. Fuck off.

I didnt offer my help pal...you need PROFESSIONAL help

fuck you.

September 7th, 2005 09:25 PM
Glimmer
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>It's called different strokes for different folks dude. Thank god we don't all gotta be like you.

I never asked you to be like me. That's great if you think A Bigger Bang isn't very good...I'm very happy for you. I bet you just can't wait until their next studio release. While you're doing that for the next 5 - 10 years, I'm going to enjoy this one for a while.
September 7th, 2005 09:26 PM
the good Can't we all get along?
September 7th, 2005 09:58 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
I will not buy this based on SS's review..or just to help sales, I'll buy it, and send it to someone.

SEND IT TO YOUR CANTOR
September 7th, 2005 11:02 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Glimmer wrote:
I cannot believe how many negative comments I have read about A Bigger Bang. I have been waiting for 8 years for a full CD of new material and I for one am not disappointed.

I hear you man and agree with your assessment but, as someone said on this very same thread, different strokes for different folks. I've always agreed with that statement. That's cool. I, for one, am glad it will always be that way. Diversity is the spice of life. To each their own is another way of putting it.

Let me just say on closer inspection, I don't like it all. There are some definite minus's- RAIN FALL DOWN AND SWEET NEOCON just don't do it for me but the rest of it is pretty solid to great. Really like these songs: Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow (judging from other people comments thought I wouldn't like this one but absolutely love it- one of my favorites on the album),Back of My Hand, Biggest Mistake, Oh No Not You Again, Laugh I Nearly Died, Look What The Cat Dragged In, and Driving Too Fast.

So that's eight big pluses and two big minuses. Not bad, not bad at all.

These songs I like and are growing on me- It Won't Take Long (to be honest thought I would like this one better), Streets of Love (you know I thought I hated this song but honesty compels me to say it's growing on me- shit I didn't want to say that), She Saw Me Coming, This Place Is Empty, Dangerous Beauty, and Infamy.

So there you have it. So far (8 big pluses, 6 pluses, and two big minuses). I need much more time to properly evalute this album but, for me, right now, it's their best since TATTOO YOU.

You know it's like someone said- for those that really enjoy this album, we have many, many years of enjoyment ahead of us. For the many on this site that don't, well they'll always have classic STONES but you know we'll have that too.

Opinions are like assholes- everyone has one.

September 7th, 2005 11:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot >LOL. That sucks man. You must be so bummed out. I'm sure you were really looking forward to it to. Like a kid getting coal on Christmas morning...<

Yeah, I am bummed out, and I really was looking forward to it. It's not like getting coal...more like just getting clothes and socks.

>back whe B2B and new songs on Forty licks were released everyone was saying how over produced they sounded. What they wanted was a back to basics raw stones record....<

It certainly isn't over produced, that's for sure. It doesn't even sound finished. That isn't my problem with the album. My problem is that it sure as shit isn't "back to basics Stones". To me, "back to basics Stones" means that it would be a ROCK & ROLL album. I smell 3 rock n roll songs and one blues song on A Bigger Bang. The rest is Adult Contemporary music. It's NOT rock and roll...at least it isn't to me. Your mileage may vary.

>now they get exactly that......and its still not good enough for some.<

No, we didn't get exactly that...at least I didn't. It's not that it isn't good enough. I guess it's good if you like that Adult Contemporary stuff. It's simply not the type of music that I like. Why is this so hard to understand?

>I never asked you to be like me.<

Glimmer, I wasn't talking to you. If you look at the post that you quoted, you will see that I was responding to a quote made by Exile. I was talking to him. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And Exile....you say I need professional help, yet you make comments like the following:

>Your whole life must be disappointments...try suicide<

Yes you sound like quite the stable fellow. Advising suicide over being disappointed by an album. That's just brilliant. When you grow up and can add something constructive to the conversation, let us know.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)