ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡¡¡ Viva México Cabrones !!!
¿...còmo chingaos no?

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Book--According to the R Stones Return to archive
09-08-03 12:05 PM
luxury1 Anyone else get this book?
I am greatly enjoying it. It is made up of recent (Nov 2002-March 2003) interviews with the band members and a select group of insiders. Dora Lowenstein (I believe the daughter of Prince RUpert) put it together. What I really think she did was give each band member a list of questions/areas to reminisce upon, which were recorded, and then she and Charlie put the thing together with a few private photos from the band's personal collection, and others that we have all seen before. They begin in the 50's and take it up to 40 Licks. Keith is extremely funny (he absolutely hated the corn backdrop for the 40 Licks tour, as we all did--he said he didnt want the Stones to be associated with corn--and he wondered who the hell ever OK'd the thing---and then he promptly ordered a new one made). Mick is always trying to explain things--he took his assignment from Dora quite seriously I see-, Charlie is brutally honest to the point of hysterics (ha-ha kind), and Ronnie is surprisingly insightful. I like the book's packaging too. It is a handsome book.
09-08-03 01:32 PM
Monkey Woman Absolutely right, Luxury! It's a beautiful book, with lots of never seen photographs, but they not as crowded as in Bill Wyman's 'Rolling With The Stones'. The text and photos have space to "breathe", as they rightly point out in the foreword.
And it's really a good read. For one thing, it's probably the longest one has ever heard or read of Charlie! He's a very interesting guy. But then, all four Stones are here very relaxed, very forthright and honest. The focus is of course on the music, not the salacious gossip - for a change! And it's a good thing. The Stones talk in detail about the way they work, write songs, record and play on stage. There's also texts written by friends and associates: Giorgio Gomelski, Marshall Chess, Don Was, etc.

So it's both a beautiful and interesting book. Don't miss it!
09-08-03 01:44 PM
Mother baby Any Bill Wyman contribution or Brian representatives at all?
09-08-03 02:06 PM
Monkey Woman No, the book is by the 4 members of today's Rolling Stones. Maybe they wanted to do something different from their previous book 'A Life On The Road' (1998), already with Dora Lowenstein, which had interviews from Bill, or the video documentary 25x5. I guess they didn't want Bill on board because he already did his own books!
But they talk quite freely of their former bandmates, about the good and bad moments. True to form, they don't try to be nice or politically correct about Bill, Brian and MT! So some readers will perhaps be shocked. But I find it refreshingly honest.
09-08-03 08:46 PM
gypsy I flipped through it at Barnes & Noble the other day. I was hoping for more family pictures...even the few family pics included were very small or not in focus. I liked the one of Keith dancing with Angela at her wedding.
09-09-03 03:48 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Keith absolutely hated the corn backdrop for the 40 Licks tour, as we all did--he said he didnt want the Stones to be associated with corn

thanks for the review lux - i'll be on the look out it

did keith shed any light on what that corn business was all about - surely one of the most bizzare things i've ever seen in connection with the stones

did keith elaborate as to why he didn't want the stones associated with corn - after all it's a fairly harmless vegetable

or was it the corn/corny connection or did he too just think it was so weird as to be ridiculous

thanks again
09-09-03 03:54 AM
Doxa "they don't try to be nice or politically correct about Bill, Brian and MT!"

Have they ever been? For a change I would see THAT happen.

Doxa