ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡¡¡ Viva México Cabrones !!!
¿...còmo chingaos no?

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Basketball diaries (movie) Return to archive
09-07-03 08:41 AM
Factory Girl I saw this movie last night and thought it was very very good. Leonardo DeCaprio (as Jim Carroll) puts in a very powerful perfomance, as does Mark Wahlberg as Mikey. Actually, the entire cast is very good. Jim Carroll has a cameo. Check this movie out.

I read the book a long time ago as well.
09-07-03 08:52 AM
steel driving hammer Prolly my least fave actors mouthing our their lines are those two mentioned above.

However there's some great Stones stuff on cable!

The Man From Elysian Fields
Thu Sep 18 09:00P STARE- Starz
Fri Sep 19 04:15A STARE- Starz
Sun Sep 21 05:35P STARE- Starz
Mon Sep 22 02:20A STARE- Starz
Wed Sep 24 05:00P STARE- Starz
Thu Sep 25 01:00A STARE- Starz
Mon Sep 29 02:35P STARE- Starz

-

Popular Song: Soundtrack of the Century, Part 5
60 minutes- Part 5 of 8
Guitar-oriented rock explodes onto music scene in the 1960s with legendary groups the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Kinks and the Who.
Sun Sep 28 02:00P BRAVO- Bravo

-

Last night The White Stripes were on SNL!

-

Saturday Night Live
60 minutes- (CC), SS
Host: Luke Perry. Music guest: Mick Jagger.
Tue Sep 16 01:00P COME- Comedy Central

-

Freejack
Fri Sep 12 04:40P MAXE- Cinemax
Sun Sep 21 11:30A MAXE- Cinemax
Mon Sep 29 09:40A MAXE- Cinemax

-

Ned Kelly
Tue Sep 9 06:00A SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
Sat Sep 13 10:00A SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
Sun Sep 14 05:10A SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
Wed Sep 17 03:35P SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
Thu Sep 18 05:00A SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
Thu Sep 25 06:30A SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
Thu Sep 25 01:50P SHOXE- Showtime Extreme
09-07-03 10:24 AM
stonedinaustralia yes FG - i've seen it and thought it good as well - the last (only?) cool thing LDeC ever did - well the titanic sails at dawn

i haven't come cross the book yet

"people who died" is (are?) rock and roll
09-07-03 11:51 AM
FPM C10
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
yes FG - i've seen it and thought it good as well - the last (only?) cool thing LDeC ever did - well the titanic sails at dawn

everybody's shouting "which side are YOU on?"

I have NOT seen it but will. I thought he was pretty good in the film in which he played Arthur Rimbaud, and excellent in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" with our friend Johnny Depp.

Speaking of Johnny, I like him even more for speaking his mind about America. Wish he'd stop denying it.
09-07-03 01:45 PM
mac_daddy great book - I don't know if you guys are hoops fans, but those were the kids that ended up at St. John's in college. Chris Mullin was one of them - do you remember when he used to be a big drinker? scary stuff...

seen only parts of the movie - it looked like a music video: all washed in hot lighting and edited with quick cuts. I might have to track the film down on your recommendation, though.

have a good one.
09-07-03 01:47 PM
mac_daddy yes I like the movie where Leo played Rimbaud (the guy that played Verlaine was good, too), gilbert grade was good, too. He was good in the Tobias Wolf adaptation, too.
09-07-03 05:03 PM
Factory Girl I read the book about 20 years ago. I hope its still in print.

This is a GREAT Movie-Leo DiC. ( before the Titanic opus) does a tremendous job of playing a junkie kid. Very brutal, very raw. Lorraine Bracco plays Leo's/Jim's mother.

Jim Carroll-is still alive. I'm not aware of his possible demise.

Johnny Depp-is a f/ing treasure. I'm glad his movie made millions. He's briiliant.

09-07-03 05:37 PM
beer There's a picture in some Stones book of Keith playing guitar onstage and Jim Carroll is singing.
09-07-03 05:44 PM
gypsy One of my dad's friends knows Tobias Wolfe really well...my dad got to meet Tobias a long time ago...said he's a real character...I'll have to hit him up for the details next time I talk to him.
09-07-03 07:53 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I thought he was pretty good in the film in which he played Arthur Rimbaud, and excellent in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" with our friend Johnny Depp.

i haven't seen either of those FPM but will try to following your recommendation - fact i wasn't even aware he'd played Rimbaud

everybody's making love or else expecting rain
09-07-03 07:56 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

Jim Carroll-is still alive. I'm not aware of his possible demise.

i wasn't suggesting he was dead FG if that's how you read my post - "people who died" is one of his better known tracks it's the one they did when keith played with him
09-07-03 09:44 PM
FPM C10
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i haven't seen either of those FPM but will try to following your recommendation - fact i wasn't even aware he'd played Rimbaud

everybody's making love or else expecting rain

Well, I'm not giving the flick (Total Eclipse) a total thumbs up, but Rimbaud is someone I've been interested in since Jimbo turned me on to him, and I thought taking a role as a gay/teen/genius/poet/addict was pretty gutsy of Leo at the time. It's certainly worth seeing for anyone who knows who Rimbaud and Verlaine are.

I will endorse Gilbert Grape whole-heartedly. Good flick.

Jim Carroll and Keith played together in 1980 at Trax in NYC. In fact Keith got Carroll his recording contract.
09-07-03 09:48 PM
steel driving hammer Brother Jon, too bad they give this movie's soundtrack a frigging C!

http://www.filethirteen.com/reviews/corndogman/corndogman.htm

09-07-03 10:03 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
beer wrote:
There's a picture in some Stones book of Keith playing guitar onstage and Jim Carroll is singing.

I think it was taken at The Bottom Line in the 80's. Keef came out and played w/Jim on 'People Who've Died'.
09-07-03 10:56 PM
FPM C10
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Brother Jon, too bad they give this movie's soundtrack a frigging C!

Yeah, that's hard to figure. It had "I Walk on Gilded Splinters" on it, fer crissakes! Whaddya want - rubber biscuit????

I mean, at least they liked the movie, but the soundtrack was one of the things I loved.

I can't thank you enough for turning me on to that, brother Tony!

Have you watched Bowling For Columbine yet? Even I'm not QUITE as far left as Michael Moore, but no matter what your politics are, it should be seen. Funny and HORRIFYING and absurd and touching and SCARY and great.

I just saw it, so it's fresh in my mind.

It has a great soundtrack too - Camper Van Beethoven's "Take The Skinheads Bowling", Joey Ramone's "What A Wonderful World" - they even ponied up the money for the Beatles' version of "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", which they NEEDED to have.

What's anyone else think about Bowling For Columbine?
Seems like a movie that'd be more popular over THERE...
<--------------------------------
09-07-03 11:23 PM
stonedinaustralia re Bowling for Columbine - saw it recently and had a response similiar to FPM

speaking as an outsider i was interested to hear his theories re US citizens living in a constant "state of fear"

it seems to me (again speaking as an outsider so maybe that gives me a bit of objectivity)that the fact that gun ownership is constitutionally enshrined and that the industrial/military concerns like lokheed play such a huge part in the US economy make any reform difficult

and was also interested to note that he felt the "race issue" plays a part in it all, as it seems to in almost all aspects of US culture - again, i speak as an outsider who's spent a total of 5 days in the US (and all of them in NYC)- so if you want to tell me i don't know what i'm talking about here i won't mind

i liked the way he debunked the idea that marilyn manson should have been blamed for the massacre - and i was sort of even impressed by manson's responses in the i/view with him

funny/scary that "south park" was inspired by the town of columbine
09-08-03 07:24 AM
Factory Girl SIA, thanks for the clarification.
09-08-03 07:48 AM
steel driving hammer Been wanting to see Bowling for Columbine for a long long while actually. But it's like one of those things you never get around to do. Why? I wish I knew.