ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡¡¡ Viva México Cabrones !!!
¿...còmo chingaos no?

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is nearness of you Return to archive
09-05-03 05:23 PM
Some Guy i have never heard this tune, is it good. on any albums?
09-05-03 05:30 PM
Nellcote Seek out "Voodoo Stew" or pm me, we can set up a trade
09-05-03 06:03 PM
Gazza It was written bu Hoagy Carmichael (one of the most covered songwriters of all time) in 1941 or so.

The Stones have never released it. keith's cut a few versions on various solo sessions. He also sang it to Patti at their wedding in Mexico in 1983.

is it any good? most definitely
09-05-03 09:18 PM
Some Guy Thanks y'all
09-05-03 10:01 PM
Angiegirl It is also played in some movies, like Indecent Proposal (with Redford), and in the newer movie 2 Weeks Notice (with Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock), in the latter film it is sung by Norah Jones.
09-06-03 05:25 AM
jopo Theres a movie called Basquiat that came out in 96 ... its about the great american streetartist ... anyways in one scene they play Keiths solo version from the early 80's .. Keiths alone at the piano and its probably the most beautyful thing you ... can hear .. i guess

Check the movie out .. its great .. actors like bowie, dennis hopper, benicio del toro and gary oldman
09-06-03 09:56 AM
LadyJane Good info jopo! Thanks!

Sounds like the perfect flick for "Saturday Night Movie Night".

I've got to hear that song again! GOT TO!!

LadyJ.
09-06-03 07:36 PM
glencar I've never heard the song myself so I'm hoping they do it this week. If they do "Dirty Work" I'll get all "worked up" & won't be responsible for whatever happens!
09-07-03 01:21 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
jopo wrote:
Theres a movie called Basquiat that came out in 96 ... its about the great american streetartist ... anyways in one scene they play Keiths solo version from the early 80's .. Keiths alone at the piano and its probably the most beautyful thing you ... can hear .. i guess

Check the movie out .. its great .. actors like bowie, dennis hopper, benicio del toro and gary oldman

O yeah, that's a GREAT movie!! Saw it like a year ago, I loved it. How could I forget that one !!!
09-07-03 04:58 AM
hotlicks LISTEN TO OLD BLUE EYES VERSION OF THIS SONG-ABS KILLER.
09-07-03 10:31 AM
LadyJane Good old Google. Typed in "Keith Richards singing Nearness of You" and found it!!

Studio outtake from 1981. Just Keith on piano. For such a "bad ass", Keith sure does have a sensitive/romantic side.

*SIGH*

LadyJ.
09-07-03 01:25 PM
hotlicks thanks lady jane-got it on google
09-08-03 10:02 PM
telecaster It is a great song.

In a prior life I worked at a country club in northern Michigan as an Asst. golf pro. One of the members was Hoagy Carmichaels son who was a great guy.

He and I played golf many times and never talked about music
or his fathers movies:

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:84200

He never once said who his father was

I believe his father is THE most re-recorded person in history or the most copyrighted person in history (jb, nanky?) but it is in the top 1, 2 or 3.

Nice guy, hung out and drank many beers. He actually had a gig playing piano at the local (classy) bars

Had I known how influential his father was I probably would have pressed him more for details

Hope he made many royalties, he deserves it

[Edited by telecaster]
09-09-03 04:12 AM
Doxa I heard the Stones (Keef) play "Nearness of You" in Glasgow. That's the only time I've heard the song. Couldn't really captured the thing, though. Could be a nice song, I quess.

Doxa