ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡¡¡ Viva México Cabrones !!!
¿...còmo chingaos no?

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: will there be a new studio album Return to archive
09-05-03 04:36 PM
Some Guy whats up any news.
09-05-03 04:54 PM
throbby Christ, I hope so!
09-05-03 05:00 PM
Some Guy there just has to be a killer classic
09-05-03 05:02 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
there just has to be a killer classic

Oh yea.. I know they MUST have at least one more great one left. My guess is sometime in mid-2004.
09-05-03 05:08 PM
Some Guy man that is too long to wait
09-05-03 05:16 PM
Factory Girl Time Is On our side.

09-05-03 06:35 PM
Dan A while back I realized it had been so long since I listened to B2B, I forgot what it sounded like so I dug it out and pretended it was the new album.
After hearing the new songs on 40 Licks, all I feel I am missing is the feeling I threw away $15
09-05-03 09:59 PM
McQueen Oh yes.
09-05-03 10:05 PM
Angiegirl I don't see it happen. Why would they? They haven't been selling albums decently for years. For the Stones, a new album only makes sense if they tour behind it. They don't, so it won't sell. Only we'd buy it, we're not enough .
09-05-03 10:09 PM
Boomy
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
I don't see it happen. Why would they? They haven't been selling albums decently for years. For the Stones, a new album only makes sense if they tour behind it. They don't, so it won't sell. Only we'd buy it, we're not enough .

Which only proves that Mick's lyrics "Always hate nostalgia..." is a load of horses##t.
09-05-03 11:30 PM
McQueen Tsk-tsk-tsk dear faithful(less?)

'tis coming sooner than later, and as stated before, she's gonna rock ya sweet little ass.

Most pleasurably indeed might I add.

As for touring behind it, (always an enjoyable position)we shall see, we shall see...

Time may no longer be on our side, but that don't mean we can't fight the old fuck to the end...
09-05-03 11:37 PM
Boomy McQueen, I am hoping that you are right..

The Whip is coming down!!!
09-06-03 12:04 AM
rocker It is "augustine" not "agusta." a refence to saint agustine from africa (4th BCE), who converted to the christian faith and wrote a very powerful and revealing look called "Confessions" that spoke of his struggle with lust.
09-06-03 08:44 AM
StonesChick I know it's going to be killer! The Stones have really enjoyed playing with each other this tour, and it's going to show in the new album!!

Keep the faith!
09-06-03 09:21 AM
nankerphelge I would think that they are either contractually obligated to produce or, if at the end of any prior contract, shopping themselves out for a deal. They can't rely on their back catalog now after 40 Licks -- unless they raid their vaults a la Tattoo You.

Now is a great time for them to take a break from the road, give Charlie a Gatorade, and think about how, after 40 years, they can put out a fresh and classic Stones release.

Oh, and then tour behind it...

09-06-03 10:42 AM
throbby [rocker wrote:
It is "augustine" not "agusta."

Surely his friends called him "Augusta" before the fame set in
09-06-03 11:59 AM
McQueen Sir Nanker, right on the mark on that one mate.

Very close indeed...
09-06-03 01:49 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Rocker, I took my Catholic name after him, and I don't think a Christian saint would've been born four centuries before the guy they were all following.

Fourth century C.E., perhaps. And I think his friends called him "August" or "Auggie" or occasionally "A-dog".

-tSYX --- I said a-yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...
09-06-03 05:49 PM
full moon The thing that bothers me is that there really has been no word of a " new " album at all.....
09-06-03 07:52 PM
kahoosier Sales figures...hmmm...I just read somewhere, and was surprised, that even the Bridges album ended up selling over 4 million. Now while that is certainly not earth shaking anymore, it is still a healthy figure. Maybe that estimate was wrong. But I think that any group that can consistantly promise a record company a million units of each product is still viable as a group of commercial artists. Whether critically acclaimed or trendsetting is anoher matter. The first Sinatra Duets realease certainly sold well without being ground breaking or critically applauded. I do think we need to realize that the Stones are becoming the Rat Pack of the baby boomers. There is no shame in that, any more than there is to the fact that many of us listeners now have retirement portfolios we are wrking to maintain.
09-06-03 08:09 PM
glencar Excellent post, kahoosier. 4 million is nothing to sneeze at. Let's hope the folks at Virgin get the Stones around to a studio soon.
09-07-03 12:18 PM
Boomy
quote:
full moon wrote:
The thing that bothers me is that there really has been no word of a " new " album at all.....

There were those blurbs from Ron..his quotes of "if we were forced to do it, we could."

But again, Ron was the one that about two years ago said that they would tour behind a box set of rarities. I'll never find him credible for any of the stories because it's usually Mick (sometimes Keith) that will make the decisions.

Keith said that "it's the best stones yet". Which, I think someone pointed out, is what Keith says everytime they have new material. Obviously they could have done something, but Mick did the solo thing, and I don't blame him for doing it. If Keith really wanted to make a new album and tour, he should've done something to get a Stones album out instead of letting Mick go on with "Goddess In the Doorway". But he didn't, and he didn't get much done since Bridges, unless he has songs in his "can" that he's saving for a new album.

The 6-7 year layoff of new stuff is a bit too long, IMO. It does seem like they are more interested in touring, because that is where all the $$$ is.
[Edited by Boomy]
09-07-03 02:16 PM
Steel Wheels The 6-7 year layoff has been disturbing to say the least.

Their collective creative output has been the lowest of their career(s).

But what has taken place is that they are really playing well together, and I hope they ride this peak into the studio.

They don't have a contract with anyone. Their last contracted album was B2B. The Stones only have their name left to give a record company, and it's still a very big name.

Virgin has the rights to just about everything, Klein has everything else. I remember reading about the contract they signed with Virgin years ago that gave them control of all post 197X recordings.

A new recording is what I want. Enough of these best of's, live recordings of crap I already have. Give me a nice 45 minute CD with all the fat removed.

Give me the B-stage Stones, an empty room, and plenty of blank tape.
09-07-03 04:49 PM
gotdablouse Well that's a tough one...

I never thought (and probably neither did he, based on his many pre-1997 statements) that Mick would organize two tours without a studio album, i.e. No Security and Licks. I guess they had that 1998 tax business issue excuse for NS and that may have made Mick/them realize that after all maybe they didn't need to work hard (i.e be creative) to milk the crowds. To their credit (ka-ching) they did an arena tour which was a treat to the real fans compared to the f&*## stadium shows. Still it seems like something clicked for that tour...

The other problem is that Mick hasn't had much patience with Keith in the studio for a long time...the last time they worked well together was probably in 82/83 and maybe in 1989 when Mick was scared that he'd maybe blown his carrer after the massive failuer of STB and PC...Now that he's not "forced" to do it anymore, there's not much of an incentive.

I'd guess the next batch of "creation" will be in the form of solo albums...

PS - As for Ron Wood's predictions, forget it...in 1996 he said that after Mick had played him material for B2B, that they'd agreed that from now on they would release new material every 18 months because they didn't have a lot of time left to come out with new material...right...although again, maybe the NS tour "click" derailed their plans.
09-07-03 05:51 PM
Boomy To me it's all about money. They didn't tour for 3 years, didn't put anything out, and they needed to "catch up" on Licks, hence, they released a greatist hits package and padded it with four new songs to make it look like they still got it. And, I think they may still have it.

It can't be about time..they can't say, "oh, we couldn't record a new album because we didn't have the time." It must have been there egos that got in the way or they just didn't care to put out a new album.
09-07-03 08:02 PM
Some Guy great comments, they are so damn talented and great live that it just seems to me they could put out a definitive album that does not leave my cd player at all
09-08-03 05:37 PM
gotdablouse Damn it, it seems a 2004 Tour might be in the air again :-( These guys no longer any dignity, just milking it...Next thing you know they'll be taking over Celine Dion's resident act in Vegas!

Contrast this with David Bowie who went throught a horrible studio run (1984/2000) and all of a sudden comes up with two great albums...he's still keeping the "dream" alive, something Mick has apparently given up on...

Sad, Sad, Sad
09-08-03 07:58 PM
rocker Rocker stands to be corrected.

Just read my email and much to my dismay I spelled augustine of hippo's name wrong, plus I put BCE (before common era), which is the poiltically correct way of saying before christ (B.C.). So it was actually C.E.(common era) which is the poilitcally correct way of saying A.D. anno domini- "christian era"

Sorry it was a typo. my typing is so poor that when i type cant
look at the screen. I am fully aware that Augustine didnt convert to a faith 400 years before it existed. Sorry.

Rock on.

Augustine also worte "The City of God"
09-08-03 07:58 PM
rocker Rocker stands to be corrected.

Just read my email and much to my dismay I spelled augustine of hippo's name wrong, plus I put BCE (before common era), which is the poiltically correct way of saying before christ (B.C.). So it was actually C.E.(common era) which is the poilitcally correct way of saying A.D. anno domini- "christian era"

Sorry it was a typo. my typing is so poor that when i type cant
look at the screen. I am fully aware that Augustine didnt convert to a faith 400 years before it existed. Sorry.

Rock on.

Augustine also worte "The City of God"