ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡¡¡ Viva México Cabrones !!!
¿...còmo chingaos no?

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Taylor plans to reveal all in Stones book Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
09-05-03 04:18 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Oh yeah, KR210, the ONLY people who bring up Taylor are Taylor himself and around 7-10 posters who yell "Taylor!" or "Liberal!" every time someone mentions how cool Ron Wood is. And Ron Wood is cool. He plays guitar in the Rolling Stones alongside Keith Richards.

Truthfully, I have nothing against Woody at all. I like all his solo cd's, and a lot of his earlier work with the Stones. I just prefer Taylor. Especially in a live situation. I usually avoid bringing him up because I know the flames will come a-flyin'! But when someone starts slamming the man (much like how you feel when someone attacks Woody) I get pissed. Why bash either one, really?

I know I've taken a few shots at Woody myself, so I'm far from innocent here. But I'm in rehab trying to kick the habit.
09-05-03 04:18 PM
Joey Steelie ...................................???????????

Is that really you ?!?!?!?!?!

Where in the Hell have you been these past few months ?!?!?!?! Man , one thing about you -- You were always Minty Fresh and sure knew how to write a post .

Welcome home my Cubs Loving , United Center attending , Chicago , Il visiting , funny upside down roof building , egg roll rolling , at first sight of Bill Clinton ejaculating , Lenin's preserved corpse caressing , Granola Crunching pal .

The Wall Was Just Warmed over Arthur !

We going sailing on Lake Michigan with Tele this week ?

Jacky !
09-05-03 04:19 PM
steel driving hammer I'll toast to anything! Even that 2 hr teeth whitening product for Joey!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Got to get up, get out...................................

09-05-03 04:39 PM
tumbling_dice I have never posted anything ever about the Taylor/Wood debate, but after reading this whole thread, I think I will remain as I was before.... totally neutral in this topic. I think they are both excellent, each in their own special way. Mick was great with the Stones in the time he was with them and Ronnie is great right now. And let's face it- Jagger/Richards is the heart and soul of the Stones and no matter who comes and goes, it always will be.
The only Stone or former Stone I don't like is Bill Wyman and I have never kept that a secret. If Mick does publish this book, I am sure it will be nothing like Stone Alone as Mick seems like he would not do it for the reasons Bill did when he wrote Stone Alone (for obviously his own self-interest). I think Mick's book would be an honest and truthful and non-stonesbashing account of the years he spent with the best band in the world. And so what if Mick doesn't play sold out Stadiums. I like how he plays clubs and is more accessible to fans. And he doesn't suck and never has. But I love Ronnie too and I think they are each at a place where they are working and performing best with who they are with right now.
09-05-03 08:10 PM
kahoosier " To every thing
Turn, Turn, Turn,
There is a season..."

Mick Taylor played wicked guitar with the Stones. He did so at a time when blues based rock guitar solos were a very important part of every concert experience. Hw was there for some important Stones albums, but let's not forget that he was also there and essential to GHS and IORR, two albums (and almost half his studio output with the group) which many critics slam and which certainly did not stand up to Some Girls, the first album to follow with Ronnie as a full time member.

The Stones now are attempting to achieve a differnt sound and style.How much would one of MT's fluid solo's really add to When the Whip Comes Down? The band was greatly affected, and pehaps saved from extinction, by the punk explosion of the 70's.

Of course to how different they would have sounded, there is an answer... sort of. Search out the 1981 Kansas City soundboard boot, Cross Fire Hurricane. There are two shows in a row in KC that are booted, get the one that is the second night. MT is on board the whole show. Guess what? He really doesn't make that big of a difference or even that big of an impression. LOL, in fact, there is a quote on the cover by Bll Wyman that says he thinks it is the worst show of the entire tour!
09-05-03 08:46 PM
kahoosier I stand corrected, some people are telling me that it is the first night, not the second,in KC that MT played. I am not at my disc collection right now and cannot confirm. BUT I do know MT is credited on the cover, so read and you can find the correct addition.
09-06-03 12:13 PM
Maxlugar People who think Woody is better for the Stones than Taylor ought to get a time capsule of their own and set it to 1975. That's when he was indeed better for the Stones.

Not anymore.

Most of the time he doesn't have the will to play sharp.

Some of the time he doesn't have the ability.

Then a few times each tour you get the man that replaced Taylor in '75. But even in those shows, it's just a few songs.

Bring back Mick Taylor and close out this career in style!

Move Woody to bass.

Best possible senario.

09-06-03 12:26 PM
nankerphelge Actually Max by 1973 Taylor was well into the classic "binge-binge" cycle of cocaine and KFC original recipe.

His days as a guitarist for the Stones were numbered.

Over time, he fought his demons. True, he still sneaks thru the KFC drive thru and jams on some nuggets here and there.

But the glory days could never be repeated.
09-06-03 04:26 PM
Maxlugar Nanky I don't care if they have to send him out in an extra wide golf cart, that man can still play.

Especially if they hung a deep fried pig off the end of his Gibson as incentive.
09-07-03 08:55 AM
nankerphelge I've heard old Micky T a couple of times in the past few years and yeah he can still play!

But can you just imagine the chaos if he got into some of Keith's Superchiba stash before the gig and then had a snack attack half way through Midnite Rambler!!

He quite possibly could eat the entire band!

Okay, okay, I'm sorry -- I shouldn't pick on the guy's weight!
In fact, looking at the last few pics we've seen of him, he is actually looking quite svelt!

(As in "my tummy has svelt a lot of pizzas!")

[Edited by nankerphelge]
Page: 1 2 3