ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

FleetCenter,Boston, MA September 3, 2002
by Kevin Mazur

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock Psychology Return to archive
09-12-02 05:27 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Is a doctor in?

I am apparently addicted to the song "Four Faces", even above all the other great tracks on the Quadrophenia soundtrack (except for "He's So Fine" - what were they doing sueing poor George? They probably ripped that riff themselves and George's is different enough to barely judge him guilty of 'having a similar idea'.)

And I have what might be described as an "unquenchable yearning" from time to time for "Don't Stop".

These wouldn't be so bad if I didn't occasionally sing along to "Emotional Rescue" and think of possibly covering it as a funk/soul number with the band.

Halp! Perhaps we should set up a group! Music Anonymous!

-tSYX --- You think it's funny, I can tell!
09-12-02 06:46 PM
Nasty Habits Xyzzyzizizz ---

I think I might know a doctor who can help you - he specializes in psychological problems related to rock and roll. But I have yet to see you describe an actual problem. What do you think your problem is? Other than posting on the board all the time when you should be going out and getting some chicks?

The nearest I can figure is that you think you're turning into some kind of "pop fag."

That and you've got some denial issues when it comes to George Harrison, consciously or unconsciously, ripping off the song about the great god Doolang when he composed "My Sweet Lord".

Embrace your taste, young man - fighting it only represses it and repression gives you cramps. I know a doctor who can probably help. I swear you won't "go gay" just because you like "Emotional Rescue". Don't let that Sir Stones lout fool you on that one.

"I just want to have some kicks! I just want to get some chicks! Rock rock rock rock rock and roll high school!"
09-12-02 07:44 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Xyzzyzizizz ---

I think I might know a doctor who can help you - he specializes in psychological problems related to rock and roll. But I have yet to see you describe an actual problem. What do you think your problem is? Other than posting on the board all the time when you should be going out and getting some chicks?

Chicks come to me! I am a chick magnet! Not because of any attractive force mind you, it's just that Mick Taylor must be around and our combined masses have created a black hole.

Women have never bothered me. I've had my crushes and flights of fancy - I'm just waiting on a friend!

quote:
And lo, Nasty Habits continued, saying:
The nearest I can figure is that you think you're turning into some kind of "pop fag."

How so? I was into the Beatles way before the Stones, and I confess to having some (*gasp*) Queen MP3s on my computer, just for fun.

quote:
Nasty Habits sprang forth then, claiming:
That and you've got some denial issues when it comes to George Harrison, consciously or unconsciously, ripping off the song about the great god Doolang when he composed "My Sweet Lord".

So? It's unconscious in the sense that "I have written a song with a similar riff in many other songs."

quote:
Nasty Habits concluded thusly:
Embrace your taste, young man - fighting it only represses it and repression gives you cramps. I know a doctor who can probably help. I swear you won't "go gay" just because you like "Emotional Rescue". Don't let that Sir Stones lout fool you on that one.

Oh, I don't *like* it - I think it'd be well covered as a funky blues number, just as I think "All About You" needs to be stripped down to "You Got The Silver" level while "The Note You Never Wrote" (McCartney) would be well-served as an almost Floydian number.

And I'm straight - have been all my life - my rhythm guitarist (he came back to school this year with a guitar and a vengance!) is bisexual though, I don't mind - to each their own!

As for the doctor, fear not! My issues in rock and roll are far greater than these, and one day I'll call on him, perhaps! But if he tells me to go to the mirror I'm bolting!

I was making idle chitchat - and commenting on my newfound enjoyment of both "Don't Stop" and "Four Faces".

And looking forward to "Lost In A Cloud", the fist single off of the hopefully non-plagaristic Brainwashed!

Anyone have any songs they're 'stuck on' currently?

-tSYX --- I get hungover times sixteen!
09-12-02 08:26 PM
mattb Jigsaw Puzzle from the remastered Beggars.
09-12-02 08:50 PM
Scot Rocks There are a few albums I am stuck on at the moment, they may sound surprising but I donno, the more u listen to these gems the better they get. The Who by Numbers, Undercover, and Dirty Work.

...and of course predictably as it is tour season..Ya Ya's, which I think might be worn out now I have played it so much now lol!!!!

Mark

09-13-02 01:00 AM
gypsymofo60 I can't stop playing 'The Stanley Clarke-collection'1996. at the moment....'Hello Jeff', that never dates....
09-13-02 01:08 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

So? It's unconscious in the sense that "I have written a song with a similar riff in many other songs."

It's not just nicking a riff, it's making off with the entire song! The verses have the same basic structure, the change is essentially the same, the backup vocals are very similar. Look, I'm not saying it was a bad thing to subconsciously rewrite an old girl group number and turn it into a song about God. If it hadn't been a huge monster selling single, nobody would have cared. If it was only an album cut, people would have said to themselves "Hey, George Harrison took that old Chiffons song and turned it into a song about God!" And in interviews George Harrison would've said, "You know, I didn't mean to do it at the time, but in retrospect I'm glad I rewrote "He's So Fine" and turned it into a hymn to the Lord." And if the Chiffons heard a George Harrison album cut stuck on a three album set they would've said, "Hey, that Beatle is doing our song, except he made it into a song about God! That's cool!" And so on, back to the writer, whoever that was (Ronald Mack). But since there were big fat greenies involved, and since the song rode on an old familiar melody (still under copyright and only 12 (?) years old at that point) poor ol' Nelson had to pay the toll. Of course they went after him. I would've.

I'm hooked on "My Obsession", off of the UK BTB remaster.
And "Smash You", off of the Ramones' newly reissued Too Tough to Die (the one VoodooChile posted about with the great version of "Street Fighting Man".)
And, while I am kind of in the closet on this one (so don't tell anybody)(this is one of those things I'm seeing my doctor about) I am compelled to play the new Sleater Kinney album over and over again.
I am less ashamed to admit that I am also stuck on side two of "The Immortal Mississippi John Hurt", although in the past I've taken issue with Hurt's laid back approach to solo blues performance. Especially soulful is the tryptic that starts with the dazzling picking of "Buck Dance" and ends with "Richland Woman", which is just about the most seductive song I've ever heard.
And Fraternity of Man (band) have a song called "Too High to Eat" that has the best Lou Reed rip off vocal in rock and roll history.
I had to listen to the Flowers version of Out of Time three times in a row tonight to clean out the sound of the Metamorphosis version.
And for some reason I listened to Guns 'n' Roses "I Used to Love Her But I Had to Kill Her" not once but twice while I was at work today.