ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Thomas Beyl with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hey, Sway: What'd you think of Jason Isbell solo? Return to archive
5th September 2007 04:45 PM
Mel Belli "Brand New Kind of Actress" is getting a lot of Pod-play for me lately...The rest of the album is patchy, I think, but there's a few stunners: "Chicago Promenade," "Dress Blues," "The Magician."
5th September 2007 05:08 PM
Fiji Joe The album is solid...and the live show smokes...got to hang with him and the band for a while when they were in town...down to earth fellas to say the least...Did you know that Jason, amongst his friends, likes to be referred to as Spliffy McGrab?
6th September 2007 04:59 PM
Saint Sway I really liked his songs with the truckers.

but am a little dissapointed with the record.

granted, its a good record. But I think the combo of my expectations being so high and the fact that no song really jumps out has me a bit dissapointed.

With the truckers, he was more of a singer/songwriter type where Patterson and Cooley were a bit of that but more traditional southern rockers. I think his heartbreak/weary tales sounded a little sweeter and stood out a bit more when meshed between the Cooley and Patterson numbers. So his album just sorta flat lines. If that makes any sense.

and maybe thats why i dont hear any standout songs like Danko/Manuel, Outfit, WTWRD or GDLL

his new one, Hurricanes & Handgrinades, sounds eerily like a Leroy Justice song.

all the songs are good. Except the Brand New Actress - which to me sounds like a weak Brian Adams "rocker" or a Rick Springfield hit. It just sounds forced and cliche. And its trying to hard to rock without actually having any real rock balls to it.
6th September 2007 05:03 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

his new one, Hurricanes & Handgrinades, sounds eerily like a Leroy Justice song.

Point of fact, Most all of Isbell's songs are rip offs of other people's music...it's all derivative of something...and not by accidental osmosis...I think it's intentional...that said, I'm cool with it...No, it ain't DBT, but how many good (new) rock n' roll records have you heard lately?...I'lll take it for what it's worth...Tommy Tutone meets Faces
6th September 2007 05:11 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Joey wrote:

Look at me! I'm an attention whore!

True dat...true
6th September 2007 05:32 PM
glencar Did DBT disband?
6th September 2007 05:37 PM
Joey " Did DBT disband? "

6th September 2007 05:37 PM
Fiji Joe NO...Just Isbell...excellent songwriter, solid singer, exceptinal guitarist....that said, he was better off in the truckers...for most of the reasons SS says
6th September 2007 05:38 PM
Joey " .. he was better off in the truckers..."

6th September 2007 05:39 PM
Saint Sway musically, Try probably sounds the most like a DBT song

I agree its a good record. a solid "B"

Magician, Hurricans, Razor Town, Dress Blues, Chicago Promenade, Whisper - are the tracks I really like. Solid stuff right there.

Actress is cheese. And Devil Is My Running Mate is a track skip. I just cant ever stand those trying to be too clever politico songs.

I was torn whether to see Isbell's show at Mercury or Truckers free show - both which were on the same night here (cock block??). Wound out being out of town and didnt have to pull the trigger on a decision. Though I think I would of went to check out Isbell's set out of more curiousity, having already seen DBT a ton of times.
6th September 2007 05:41 PM
pdog Joey would be better off with a trucker in him, no?
6th September 2007 05:41 PM
Joey " .. didnt have to pull the trigger on a decision. "

6th September 2007 05:43 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:
Joey would be better off with a trucker in him, no?

Not like he ain't been down that "road" before...

Joey?

6th September 2007 05:47 PM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

that's right !!!!

6th September 2007 06:20 PM
pdog Joey rent the gun and buy the bullet!
7th September 2007 12:12 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
musically, Try probably sounds the most like a DBT song

That might be my least favorite. Maybe it's because I'm not as steeped in the DBTs as you are, but the riff sounds to me like sub-Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the faux-hard-ass lyrics are really lame.
7th September 2007 12:41 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

the riff sounds to me like sub-Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the faux-hard-ass lyrics are really lame.

LOL! I hate to admit it but you just described nearly every Truckers tune
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)