ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Thomas Beyl with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Eagles to release first album for 28 years... Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th August 2007 01:18 AM
Starbuck
quote:
Is it as bad as someone playing Macca in a Beatles tribute band?

pay attention nellie! my rickie 325 with bigsby vibrato just arrived today!

'sides, we all that outside of stones circles, where the hardcore fans for some strange reason think that you have to hate the beatles to love the stones, the beatles are revered as the great songwriters they were. solo stuff aside....hey, even "abbey road" sends glenny's foot a-tappin'!
25th August 2007 01:23 AM
MrPleasant The Eagles aren't too bad. They were merely mediocre.

It's fair that I'm not from the U.S.: their stuff isn't too popular in the local radios. And Hotel California is a good song - Overplayed? Sure. But so were Led Zeppelin.

Anyhow, I don't really like Hotel California. I own their first album on MP3 - pretty decent harmless country stuff. "Take It Easy" is about fucking and not having to worry. But, so could have said that Frank Zappa.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=1423&name=The+Eagles

Eagles [Asylum, 1972]
These guys certainly boogie more than the bluegrass sellouts who populate the vaguely country-oriented mainstream of contemporary American rock, and they certainly write more memorable songs. But this culminates the reactionary individualism that country-rock has come to epitomize in the counterculture. What's worse, the country orientation bespeaks not roots but a lack of them, so that in the end the product is suave and synthetic--brilliant, but false. And not always all that brilliant, either. B

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/eagles.htm#Eagles

EAGLES

Year Of Release: 1972

The fresh and even slightly exciting debut. Innocent country fun, hah hah.

Best song: TAKE IT EASY

Track listing: 1) Take It Easy; 2) Witchy Woman; 3) Chug All Night; 4) Most Of Us Are Sad; 5) Nightingale; 6) Train Leaves Here This Morning; 7) Take The Devil; 8) Earlybird; 9) Peaceful Easy Feeling; 10) Tryin'.

A long long time will pass before the Eagles will be again remembered for what they did best: good, friendly, cheerful, more or less authentic and memorable country rock. Okay, forget 'memorable'. Not even a single tune on here, apart from maybe 'Witchy Woman' which isn't country rock at all, is memorable, and that's one of the Eagles' worst problems: everything they do from the very beginning is so slick and formulaic, and all the hooks are so damn predictable and abused many times before, that this record will flow out of your head as smoothly as it flowed in. But what the hell - while it's there, it's enjoyable, and it makes for some excellent background music. To an extent, this is the band's best album, p'raps, it's just that it's way too unremarkable even for the Eagles.

Even so, you may be surprised, but the Eagles know how to rock out. I wouldn't know how to condemn 'Witchy Woman', for example. The guitar riff is kinda obvious, but so is the one on 'Smoke On The Water' and on about ninety percent of Black Sabbath tunes. Henley takes lead vocals and the others 'whoa-hoah' around him, apparently, to create a mystical, slightly evil atmosphere, except that at a certain point they bring in female backing vocals and the room begins to smell of cheese a little. Fortunately, that's only occasionally. The melody is good.

'Chug All Night' is worse, because it doesn't have an 'obvious riff', but, on the other hand, it's faster and shorter, and features some ferocious lead notes that are about the hardest the Eagles get on their debut album. That's alright by me, too. However, third time around ('Tryin') it gets tiring and far too generic. Sorry dudes, I can't rate that one. Oh, and by the way: I must give out the warning that if the words 'generic' and 'formulaic' will crop up about ten times more often on this page than on any other on the site, well... that's not my fault.

Let's revert to the milder stuff, shall we. Essentially, the Eagles should be flying over the Grand Canyon - a better name for a country-rock band could hardly be found. So pay attention to their country schtick. The single 'Take It Easy' is pleasant as hell, and dang is it friendly. Everything about it. Frey's vocals, the band's harmonies, the slide guitar part, the banjo solo, everything just screams "we're doing this to please you". Not "we're doing it because we like it" or "we're doing it because we want to push forward the boundaries of country" or anything. User-friendly - quite unlike Windows 2000. Do you understand now why the Eagles are considered radio fodder?

The other single was 'Witchy Woman', and a third one was 'Peaceful Easy Feeling', written by a guy whose name I've forgotten, and it's more of the same, basically 'Take It Easy' Volume 2. I don't even know what to write about it, except that the melody is lovely. I just have to put it on every time I want to remember it.

In fact, I hardly know what to write about all of that stuff: getting to the bottom of it is not very interesting, considering that I've dismissed many songs in a similar style on other artists' albums as filler. Everything is relative, and the Eagles really make you reconsider certain things. Such as the beauty of minimalism, for instance. But I digress. I actively dislike one song, the slow, dull and sacchariney ballad 'Most Of Us Are Sad', but at least I'm able to tolerate it. It's just that the melody is far too pedestrian, even for the Eagles.

Oh, and a major highlight on here is 'Earlybird', too. Love that beginning - are they tapping synthesizers to get that pecky-pecky sound? Lyrically, it's actually the Eagles' version of 'I'm Only Sleeping' - life goes on around me and I'm kinda lazy to follow it. And musically, it's just another country rocker with a nagging banjo part and cool guitar solos. I seem to like it because it's unusual to hear a banjo in such a straightforward rock composition, but at least it's better than getting nothing at all in 'Nightingale' (apparently, the Eagles were somewhat keen on birdnames and bird thematics on their debut album. Do you think they would have made suitable ornithologists instead?)

Well, the last notes of 'Tryin' are currently echoing away, and I find that I have to go and re-listen to the record again while I check this here review. Again, there's nothing left in my head. How can that be possible? I think I'm starting to understand the real reasons for the Eagles' radio overplay now: unless you've heard a certain song for fifteen times in a row, maybe more, you won't have the ability to memorize it. But joking aside, this is a pretty cool debut album, not at all cheesy or corny. If one can't stand country-rock, it's one's own problem. It would get far different later on, but as of then, this record is a good introduction to the Eagles and one of the main keys to the understanding of their incredible success. And longevity. In people's minds, that is.

Oh, and I suppose it's the Eagles' best album, too, but I guess that goes without saying.

READER COMMENTS SECTION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92vC-q6mbU

[Edited by MrPleasant]
25th August 2007 01:30 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Boss wrote:

Clarence Clemmons is looking for a new bitch. You will singer higher than you did in "Can't help falling in love."

????????
25th August 2007 01:35 AM
Starbuck
quote:
The Eagles aren't too bad. They were merely mediocre.
And Hotel California is a good song

because i have always liked you, and because your post count is respectable, i will pretend i never heard that statement.
25th August 2007 01:38 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

because i have always liked you, and because your post count is respectable, i will pretend i never heard that statement.

I was fearing a response like that, but bear this in mind: I just came from the Beach, walking, with a hangover, and with no money. Peace!
25th August 2007 01:44 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
I dig Joe Walsh...

Rocky Mountain way!!allright.
25th August 2007 07:58 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

'sides, we all that outside of stones circles, where the hardcore fans for some strange reason think that you have to hate the beatles to love the stones, the beatles are revered as the great songwriters they were. solo stuff aside....hey, even "abbey road" sends glenny's foot a-tappin'!

A-tappin'! Yes, but it's certainly nothing like Beggars Banquet or Let It Bleed. It's good pop music. And I find Sgt. Peppers to be excrement.
25th August 2007 08:13 AM
Nellcote Starbuck wrote:

Hey, props to you on your effort. Once Macca shook hands in Say Say Say, and agreed to allow the gloved one the rights to the music, it was OVA for moi! Then, he altered songwriting credits to McCartney/Lennon, please. The stick-up that Stumpy is giving him is not enough for one Mr. Angela Lansbury. Such a troll. Because Joe Walsh is in the Eagles, it is worth it. He's nuts enough to send that commie Henley off the deep end. And, everytime I see Frey singing, I get jucied for Crockett & Tubbs, the 2nd best effort NBC ever had after Hill St Blues. Plus, one of the few bands that can circle the family in a vehicle without the lyrics "staring down your tits" with an middle school daughter...
25th August 2007 12:26 PM
Starbuck i don't understand why anyone can get down on the beatles because of what they did during their solo careers. do you think i like say say say and ebony and ivory? what little solo macca i've heard past the early to mid 70s gives me hives. same could be said for cloud nine and anything ringo ever put out...john's stuff is a little better, but not comparable to his beatle output.

second tier solo stuff does not take away from the greatness of the group in their heyday.
25th August 2007 02:29 PM
MrPleasant I still don't understand quite why Harrison and Starr sucked, which is going a bit too far, while Neil Young and Bruce Sprinsgteen (and Lennon, BTW) have released some horrid shit (those eighties shit albums) and their hands are clean. They rock! Duh. So does Kiss. I blame it on the media!
25th August 2007 03:09 PM
Nellcote Das Buckinator....It's what the custodian did to the product. The fact that Macca orchestrated all of these Beatle Blunders takes the bloom off the rose. Hey, if you are in the area, come by, I'm smoking 10lb of spare ribs, into my thrid hour, Dos Equis is flowing freely, wife & family were paid off to leave the premisis, I am having a wicked pissah time. We can hash out the world's woes....
26th August 2007 09:45 PM
Southbound Train "Man, c'mon, I've had a rough night and I hate the fucking Eagles, man."
The Dude
26th August 2007 09:52 PM
robpop It's only preseason, but the Steelers are beating the eagles right now.
26th August 2007 10:32 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I love The Eagles, I once played in a band that used to do a lot of the Eagles covers, Lying Eyes/Peaceful easy feeling/Take it easy/Hotel California, etc. their harmony is great.

You make me ill.
26th August 2007 10:49 PM
robpop
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

You make me ill.

Ring number six is a few months away. I am more sure of it now more than ever.
27th August 2007 09:48 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
robpop wrote:

Ring number six is a few months away. I am more sure of it now more than ever.

Yeah,for the 49ers.
28th August 2007 06:44 PM
Starbuck
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
guitarman53 wrote:
I love The Eagles, I once played in a band that used to do a lot of the Eagles covers, Lying Eyes/Peaceful easy feeling/Take it easy/Hotel California, etc. their harmony is great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You make me ill.

doesn't he, though? i mean, shit! this is the reason why he's never seen a naked woman before. i'm sure of it.
29th August 2007 06:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I personally don't like the Eagles all that much. But If someone else does more power to 'em. Of course there is such a thing as bad taste but where is the line?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)