ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown dies at 81 Return to archive
September 11th, 2005 02:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
The Associated Press

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown in a 1996 file photo.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown dies at 81

BATON ROUGE (AP) ? Clarence ?Gatemouth? Brown, the singer and guitarist who became famous with juke-joint stomp numbers and built a 50-year career playing blues, country, jazz and Cajun music, died in his hometown of Orange, Texas, where he?d gone to escape Hurricane Katrina. He was 81.

Brown, who had been battling lung cancer and heart disease, was in ill-health for the past year, said Rick Cady, his booking agent, in a telephone interview Saturday. Cady, who received a call from Brown?s manager Jim Bateman, said the musician was with his family at his brother?s house when he passed away Saturday
Brown?s home in Slidell, La., a bedroom community of New Orleans, was destroyed by the Katrina, which wiped out much of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and New Orleans, Cady said.

?He was completely devastated,? Cady said. ?I?m sure he was heartbroken, both literally and figuratively. He evacuated successfully before the hurricane hit but I?m sure it weighed heavily on his soul.?

Although his career first took off in the 1940s with blues hits ?Okie Dokie Stomp? and ?Ain?t That Dandy,? Brown bristled when he was labeled a bluesman. In the second half of his career he became known as a musical jack-of-all-trades who played a half-dozen instruments and culled from jazz, country, Texas blues and the zydeco and Cajun music of his native Louisiana.

By the end of his career, Brown had more than 30 recordings and won a Grammy award in 1982.

?I?m so unorthodox, a lot of people can?t handle it,? Brown said in a 2001 interview.

Brown?s versatility came partly from a childhood spent in the musical mishmash of southwest Louisiana and southeast Texas. He was born in Vinton, La., and grew up in Orange, Texas.

Brown often said he learned to love music from his father, a railroad worker who sang and played fiddle in a Cajun band. Brown, who was dismissive of most of his contemporary blues players, named his father as his greatest musical influence.

?If I can make my guitar sound like his fiddle, then I know I?ve got it right,? Brown said.

Cady said Brown was quick-witted, ?what some would call a ?codger.??
September 11th, 2005 02:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Dang.

First RL Burnside, and now Gatemouth...very sad.

The blues is dying right before our eyes....
September 11th, 2005 02:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Sorry, didn't see this thread already posted

http://novogate.com/board/968/215607-1.html

So I'm gonna close this one
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)