ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick's original vocal on YGTS is way better than Keith's Return to archive
September 10th, 2005 10:50 PM
poor immigrant Heard this for the first time in ages today on a remastered bootleg and it was like a revelation. Now, I love Keith. He's the coolest dude ever as far as I'm concerned, but Jagger just nails this vocal in a way that no one else possibly could. Slightly drawled, the buildup/climax verse cutting right through, interesting phrasing that rivals only Dylan for eccentricity.
It's nice that Keith had this tune to add to his "Stones vocal" library, but as far as I'm concerned, this is the version that should've been on LET IT BLEED. I also think Mick's vocal even benefits the rest of the performances on the track. He plays off everything is classic Stones fashion. I hope this eventually sees the light of day officially. Thoughts anyone?
September 10th, 2005 10:54 PM
lotsajizz my thoughts are that you are 100% correct
September 11th, 2005 01:43 AM
Zack My thought is you are 100% wrong. "Just waiting here at your kitchen door" or more accurately in the Bentley while Mick and Anita boffed on the set of Peformance is Keith's pledge of steadfast love for her in spite of everything. It HAS to be Keith. It doesn't work with Jagger.
September 11th, 2005 02:35 AM
poor immigrant
quote:
Zack wrote:
My thought is you are 100% wrong. "Just waiting here at your kitchen door" or more accurately in the Bentley while Mick and Anita boffed on the set of Peformance is Keith's pledge of steadfast love for her in spite of everything. It HAS to be Keith. It doesn't work with Jagger.

That's a nice story and all, but it has little to do with appreciating either take. It's like Rolling Stone Mag saying how brave Jagger is for tackling his age head on with the "hooker losing her looks" line in YGMR. People think if they know every story behind every moment of every song/recording, they will somehow unlock the mysteries. It's not that complicated. Jagger knows how the sing and perform and channel that magic. Keith does too and I love his version of YGTS, just thought that Mick's kicks ass.
September 11th, 2005 04:23 AM
MikeyC613 Keith has a better country voice than Mick. Mick can't take country seriously enough, and that's what makes Keith the musical genious of this band. He does blues, rock and roll, and country, better than anyone. Keith, through Gram, has a reverence for the genre that Mick won't give in to. Keith MAKES You Got the Silver, because it sounds like he fucking MEANS it.

"Hey BABY! What's in your eyes?
Is that the diamonds,
from the mines?
What's that FLASHING
in your smile?
I won't tell.....is that some big SURPRISE?"

He sings with more conviction on this tune than any other song he's every sung.....ever.

LET IT BLEED IS THE GREATEST STONES ALBUM EVER,
BECAUSE IT BELONGS TO KEITH RICHARDS.
September 11th, 2005 11:06 AM
KeithRichardsWife
September 11th, 2005 11:28 AM
the good
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Keith has a better country voice than Mick. Mick can't take country seriously enough, and that's what makes Keith the musical genious of this band. He does blues, rock and roll, and country, better than anyone. Keith, through Gram, has a reverence for the genre that Mick won't give in to. Keith MAKES You Got the Silver, because it sounds like he fucking MEANS it.

"Hey BABY! What's in your eyes?
Is that the diamonds,
from the mines?
What's that FLASHING
in your smile?
I won't tell.....is that some big SURPRISE?"

He sings with more conviction on this tune than any other song he's every sung.....ever.

LET IT BLEED IS THE GREATEST STONES ALBUM EVER,
BECAUSE IT BELONGS TO KEITH RICHARDS.

Say what??? Keith has a better country voice than Mick? Is that Keith singing on Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginie???
September 11th, 2005 12:51 PM
Taptrick
I like Mick's version better. But I think this is one of keith's better tracks. Let's not forget Far Away Eyes, Evening Gown, and the unreleased gem No Spare Parts.

September 11th, 2005 01:46 PM
stickyturd RE: Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginia...

YES, that is Keith singing. His harmony parts on both of those songs MAKE the choruses what they are.

Russ
September 11th, 2005 04:21 PM
the good
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
RE: Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginia...

YES, that is Keith singing. His harmony parts on both of those songs MAKE the choruses what they are.

Russ

Horse dung!!! The parts Jagger sings by himself are brilliant.
September 11th, 2005 04:40 PM
J.J.Flash I whole-heartedly disagree. And I love Keith's harmonics
September 11th, 2005 06:47 PM
stickyturd
quote:
the good wrote:

Horse dung!!! The parts Jagger sings by himself are brilliant.

You should tell Mick Jagger to get a glass belly button so you can see what the rest of the world is doing with your head so far up his ass.

Mick is obviously a far better vocalist than Keith, but not for country.
September 12th, 2005 02:23 AM
Child of the Moon I was never a big fan of Mick's version. He doesn't sound very convincing on it, in my opinion. Or more than one occasion, he reverts to that "mouthful of marbles" dialect he seems to be so fond of, and it's highly inappropriate.

You Got the Silver is an intensely fragile song, and I think it really takes someone like Keith, who has a fragile voice to begin with (and let's not even get into how fragile and timid he was physically and mentally back then), to convey that song the right way. Not to disreepect Jagger's voice, but he's not right for that song.

My vote goes to Keith.
September 12th, 2005 03:17 AM
stonedinaustralia keith by a country (pun intended) mile

jaggers tones (in that song particularly and through the stones catalouge generally)are more mellifulous

but keith's voice aches in a bittersweet way that mick can never match - he has (or should that be had)the voice of a grievous angel
September 12th, 2005 08:49 AM
Jair I also prefer Mick lead vocal. His voice is much better.

Actually, ABKCO has provided to me, some yrs ago, a special edition of Let it Bleed with Mick doing the vocal.

I truly believe is the only copy in the whole world.

Once I heard Steven Tyler daughters, Liv, also had a copy but she told me "No, I haven't. I can make sex to you, tough, if you gimme yours". I said NO.

We're still friends anyway, because both of us HATE Aerosmith.

(Edited by J. Perry)

[Edited by Jair]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)