ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who wrote what Return to archive
September 10th, 2005 08:06 PM
Too Tough There's been alot of disscussion about Mick's role in A Bigger Bang and how much of the material was written solely by him. My question is: how in the hell do YOU know? You wern't there. According to the boys, this album was more collaborative then other recent ones have been, yet people on this board persume to know that "Mick wrote this song on his own" or "Keith didn't have as much input". If there's anything we know about the Jagger-Richards songwriting system is that each bleed into eachothers songs. Yes, we all know there are songs that were written soley by Keith or Mick but we only know that because they told us. You can't possibly determine who wrote what and how much of a split there is in a song just by listening to it. For instance, Almost Hear You Sigh would seem to be a "Mick song". But it started as something from KEITH'S SOLO ALBUM! So you can't know or even persume to know, except in the case in which Keith sings lead or a clear sign like that. Otherwise, you can't have a clue.

Everyone is free to like or dislike any song for any reason, but this whole talk of how this is "Mick's album" (the inference being that it sucks) is just fucking silly.
September 10th, 2005 08:23 PM
Mel Belli I wouldn't call it gospel, but I think it's more than an educated guess that Mick came up with the bulk of the songs on his own. This isn't to say Keith didn't suggest things, tweak things, or, yes, compose things.

How can I - or anyone else who's chimed in on this - tell which is Mick's or which is Keith's? Speaking only for myself, I've played guitar for almost 20 years and feel like I know Keith better than Keith knows Keith. It's the same intuition that would enable you to listen to a hundred different drummers playing solo and *know* when you heard Charlie. It's about style, tone, feel..

To use the example you cited - "Almost Hear You Sigh" - I would never have assumed it was a Mick song. That chord progression was clearly adapted from "Beast of Burden," which was primarily a Keith song. Therefore, it was reasonable to guess the song originated from Keith...

When I say "Bang" is "Mick's album," I don't mean it as a knock. I love the album. I was shocked at Mick's proficiency as both a writer and a player. "Bang" rules. Mick rules.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)