ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I have a Black Crowes Question Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 9th, 2005 03:43 PM
KeepRigid
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Bang sounds like Goddess In The Doorway Pt. II

It's just another addition to "The Song".
September 9th, 2005 03:58 PM
Nellcote You see Sway, your constant comparisons of
The Crowes vs. The Stones are just so out of touch
it is difficult to find the basis of your arguement.

On the one hand, The Crowes, a band of less than 20 years in existance, with admittedly moderate commercial success,
presently touring as support for Tom Petty, and on their own in some markets. Said band has broken up several times, had alliances with one of the greatest guitarists in rock, which resulted in some moderate performances.
While they enjoyed success, at this guidepost, The Crowes are a jam band.
Because they have no new product to promote, they can pretty much play what they want, which thrills the rabid followers, could ailenate the casual fan.
Possibly their future holds more creative success, here's hoping that is the case.

On the other hand, you have The Stones.
A band which has been in existance for over 40 years
Have a catalog of hits which is legendary.
Band members have been terrifically creative over the years.
The tours which they have mounted are historic.
They are currently touring to support a new disc, however, until it becomes popular, if indeed it does, they choose to play portions from their catalog which are popular with the masses, or easy for them to play. Nevertheless, the cd is charting high here in the States, as well as around the World.

Summary IMHO...
The Crowes, while still popular & active will have a lesser following, not any less devoted than The Stones.
No new procuct on the horizon, have had several recent breakups with founding members of the band
Same founding members of the band have had solo projects which have popularity with longtime band followers, however, probably not with the masses.

The Stones are the legendary
The Stones can do what they want because they are The Stones.
They are touring to support a new product.
They will be historic for decades to come.

We were spoiled with Licks, where they mixed things up.
Time will tell if this happens again.

Accept What the Crowes are, and what the Stones are, you just might like it.
Or, you may not.
Whatever choice, again, what good does it do to come here and blast The Stones?
Tell you what...
With the time you've spent posting thread after thread
about lack of song variety, how ABB sucks, etc.
You could have used your time more wisely to mount an effort to get noticed in a positive way with either the Stones or Virgin to have them play more numbers, if this is what you think folks here want.
Personally, frankly, you need a new act.
This is a Stones board
As I've said before, most here are rabid fans.
And your act is wearing rather thin.
[Edited by Nellcote]
September 9th, 2005 04:01 PM
the good
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
for the record:

I think ABB is lame. Possibly their worst record.

I've never compared Lions to ABB. In fact, I said there is no comparison.

I said Lions was better. But only because Winter pointlessly brought up the Crowes & Lions for the zillionth time.

I will state again, that there is absolutely no point comparing Bigger Bang with any Crowes album because it sounds nothing like the Black Crowes.

There is no real similarity between Goddess and ABB. ABB is a great record, even if some of the "wisemen" like yourself don't think so. Most Stones fans and critics DO think so, and that counts for something. And how in the world can you say that piece of shit with corn and peanuts in it, Lions, is better? That's a fucking laugh! HAHAHAHA!!!
September 9th, 2005 04:01 PM
White House Lawn Nellcote, you are very well-spoken. : )

[Edited by White House Lawn]
September 9th, 2005 04:45 PM
winter
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
for the record:

I think ABB is lame. Possibly their worst record.

I've never compared Lions to ABB. In fact, I said there is no comparison.

I said Lions was better. But only because Winter pointlessly brought up the Crowes & Lions for the zillionth time.

For the REAL Record - I have only ever mentioned the Crowes twice in my posts. This one that I started and the one about them playing in DC. Hell, I like the Crowes, but I do think there recent material (last 3 or 4 albums) compares to the "golden era" of the album and 1/2 of quality material contained in their first two releases. AND, I only made these posts b/c I (probably like almost everyone else who visits this site) am so damned tired of hearing about the Crowes on this Board.

September 9th, 2005 04:58 PM
Saint Sway you should really stop starting threads about the Crowes man

I havent brought them up - unless directly asked/provoked/whatever

I love the Stones and I love the Crowes. But I dont need to debate them here. You folks that are tired of talking about them just need to stop talking about them. Dont bring them up and I wont respond.

the Stones just dropped their latest load - Bigger Bang - thats what we should be talking about!!!

do you like it? do you hate it? discuss

quote:
KeepRigid wrote:

It's just another addition to "The Song".

not THATS funny!

thanks Rigid
September 9th, 2005 05:15 PM
KeepRigid I'm certain that is not mine, but what Chris' take would be on the matter. Right, am I right?
September 9th, 2005 05:31 PM
Saint Sway Yeah you're right. "Its all part of the song, man." LOL!
September 9th, 2005 05:33 PM
winter Saint Sway -

Do you read? I only started one thread.

Don't you think you are being a little sensitive in light of ONE (1) (UNO) (i.e., less than 2) thread?

wintah
September 9th, 2005 05:49 PM
doo doo doo Dude the Black Crowes should go on tour with the Spin Doctors and dub it the Early 90's One-hit Wonder tour. Maybe Toad the Wet Sprocket & Blues Traveler could join up too!
September 9th, 2005 05:52 PM
KeepRigid
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Yeah you're right. "Its all part of the song, man." LOL!

Yes, that was the quote I was reaching for! 'Overheard in the wake of Visions of Paradise', I believe. LOL!

Of course, there's also the irony of believing in a concept such as "The Song", only to turn around and critique someone else's music.
September 9th, 2005 05:58 PM
Some Guy My favorite Crowes album- Amorica.

A friend gave me the instant disc after the recent Atlanta show and I was totally underwhelmed. He forgot most of the words and seemed to hum along.
September 9th, 2005 06:05 PM
KeepRigid I agree. Southern Harmony is the greatest album the Crowes have ever done did.
September 9th, 2005 06:05 PM
Nellcote Hey Sway, great you like the Crowes.
I liked the Crowes.
IMO, they've come & gone.
You look at it differently.
That's great, and fine.
But enough of the force feeding that The Crowes would do this better than the Stones, etc.
It's a moldy line which is being presented.
You need to remember, you are at a Stones board.
You come looking to cause a ruckus about how the Stones are not playing what you want to hear, fine.
Complain to the band, shows us a copy of a letter.

DO SOMETHING ELSE THAN SPAM THE BOARD WITH THIS NEGATIVITY!

Tell you what, auction your tickets off for hurricane relief, if you are so fed up with the Stones.
Do it in the name of a protest to the band
Show them you are fed up with the lacsadasical (sp) style.
The price of your auction may speak to your feelings...
Or, it may not.
September 9th, 2005 06:16 PM
Saint Sway Dear Nellcote,

You're awful bright
You're awful smart
I must admit
You broke my heart
the awful truth
is awful sad.
I must admit
I was awful bad.

OOhh, but I, I, I, I,
I, I, I, I....
September 9th, 2005 06:17 PM
KeepRigid Turn it up!
September 9th, 2005 06:20 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
the Black Crowes should go on tour with the Spin Doctors and dub it the Early 90's One-hit Wonder tour. Maybe Toad the Wet Sprocket & Blues Traveler could join up too!

what do the Black Crowes
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Blues Traveler
and the Spin Doctors
all have in common?

they each had one more hit than the Stones had during the 90's.

you made it about record sales, not me
September 9th, 2005 06:21 PM
Nellcote Ok, and your point is?
I've had better proposals in my life.
Just point me to the auction site where you are donating
your tickets for charity.
I'll know you are for real.
September 9th, 2005 06:25 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Dear Nellcote,

You're awful bright
You're awful smart
I must admit
You broke my heart
the awful truth
is awful sad.
I must admit
I was awful bad.

OOhh, but I, I, I, I,
I, I, I, I....

an incredibly low blow!
September 9th, 2005 06:27 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:

what do the Black Crowes
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Blues Traveler
and the Spin Doctors
all have in common?

they each had one more hit than the Stones had during the 90's.

Then you should head over to their message boards and make this tour a reality! Maybe Jesus Jones is also available!
September 9th, 2005 06:34 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

Then you should head over to their message boards and make this tour a reality! Maybe Jesus Jones is also available!

since you only quoted the sarcastic part of my post and left out the line that contained my actual point in it I'm gonna guess that you didn't get it.
let me see how this works. when we're talking about another band, you have to remind us that the Stones have had more hits. when you see them on tour and they only play those hit records, you call the tour a bust. have I got all this right?
I mean, I can spam every thread we have about Exile On Main St. and say Thriller sold more copies, but would that really achieve anything for me.
[Edited by ResidentMule]
September 9th, 2005 06:38 PM
BlindLemon respect to the Stones respect to The Black Crowes respect to all one very drunk guy waiting for his girlfriend to come out of the shower says respect to all respect respect respect
sorry me junior sorry opinion does not count sorry respect
September 9th, 2005 06:48 PM
Saint Sway mule fans know their shit!
September 9th, 2005 07:00 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
since you only quoted the sarcastic part of my post and left out the line that contained my actual point in it I'm gonna guess that you didn't get it.
let me see how this works. when we're talking about another band, you have to remind us that the Stones have had more hits. when you see them on tour and they only play those hit records, you call the tour a bust. have I got all this right?
I mean, I can spam every thread we have about Exile On Main St. and say Thriller sold more copies, but would that really achieve anything for me.
[Edited by ResidentMule]

Hey RM-
Contrary to your claim, I wasn't making it about album sales or hits. My point was that the Black Crowes were a flash in the pan from the early 90's with only one really strong album (which mimicked the Stones immeasurably btw) and has put out nothing of real consequence for the past 15 years. Sure their a good live band but their setlists consists of a lot of covers and songs from their weak albums that no one has ever heard (except obviously you and Saint Sway).

Now contray to your point, the Stones setlists have been averaging 3-4 songs from the new album this tour and 2-3 songs from their 90's albums (which you obviously don't like). The rest are fom their huge catalogue of consistantly great albums.

And I'm very sorry you don't like their new material but I'm afraid it ain't 1972 anymore. And for me, thankfully, It ain't 1990 (Black Crowes apex) either.
September 9th, 2005 07:36 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
flash in the pan from the early 90's with only one really strong album

well it seems pretty hard to argue that they only had one strong album since everbody here seems to agree with that. only problem there is they all say its a different album. look up in this thread - we've got votes for Shake Your Money Maker, Southern Harmony and Amorica (my personal favorite). seems this has more to do with personal taste than any one album being truly better than the other 5. to be honest I like Shake Your Money Maker the least of the 3 by far largely because of how much it sounds like a generic take on the Stones/Faces - that's why I'm glad they branched out on the next albums even if it did cost them sales.
Three Snakes & One Charm had some excellent moments too but I wouldn't expect anyone here to know that if they stopped listening after 1992. since I've taken the time to let this album grow on me (even if it is considerable slower than the previous ones) I fail to see how that's done me any harm.
say what you want about By Your Side & Lions, they aren't that great albums. I like Horsehead and Young Man though, along with a few others

(which mimicked the Stones immeasurably btw) and has put out nothing of real consequence for the past 15 years. Sure their a good live band but their setlists consists of a lot of covers and songs from their weak albums that no one has ever heard (except obviously you and Saint Sway).

quote:
their 90's albums (which you obviously don't like

bad assumption. I listened to Voodoo Lounge more than any other record as part of the pre-release hype. its a little spotty but has enough on it that its grown on me in the last few years. I'm an even bigger fan of Steel Wheels and Bridges To Babylon (particularly Keith's 'reggae sellout' songs). as far as A Bigger Bang - the jury's still out for me. they do a decent job on the classic sounding stuff but only time will tell how well the more modern sounding songs capture the idea of the current trends without falling into crap like Rain Fall Down (that's one song I'll make no attempts to reserve my judgements)

but if you want to talk about hits, these records didn't have any. well, Love Is Strong did better than OK. so that makes the Stones entire 90's output a one-hit wonder. but I don't care, I think Moon Is Up, New Faces, Thief In The Night, Don't Have To Mean It, Almost Head You Sigh, Hearts For Sale etc were all phenomenal successes (artistically, not commercially) at the Stones trying out some slightly new directions; every bit as much as Some Girls and Tattoo You.
September 9th, 2005 07:58 PM
scratched As the Crowes put it themselves, 'only time will tell'.

My money's on the Stones.
September 9th, 2005 08:26 PM
winter
quote:
winter wrote:
When are they going to follow up from that Blockbuster album - Lions? (yawn) I mean everbody has that one in their collections right?

wintah

WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER MY QUESTION?
September 9th, 2005 08:27 PM
winter
quote:
winter wrote:

Are the Crowes planning another tour / album with the likes of Mr. Page to help pull their ticket and record sales out of the shitter, or are the Robinson brothers going to return to the enormous success of their solo careers?

I believe Rich Robinson was able to sell out a string of dates at local BBQ pit in Cambridge last time he was on tour (Brother Jimmies). If I remember correctly, if you ordered a full rack of ribs, you could either get a side of slaw or a copy of Rich's cd. I took the slaw.

wintah

OR HOW ABOUT THIS ONE?
[Edited by winter]
September 9th, 2005 08:36 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:

well it seems pretty hard to argue that they only had one strong album since everbody here seems to agree with that. only problem there is they all say its a different album. look up in this thread - we've got votes for Shake Your Money Maker, Southern Harmony and Amorica (my personal favorite). seems this has more to do with personal taste than any one album being truly better than the other 5. to be honest I like Shake Your Money Maker the least of the 3 by far largely because of how much it sounds like a generic take on the Stones/Faces - that's why I'm glad they branched out on the next albums even if it did cost them sales.
Three Snakes & One Charm had some excellent moments too but I wouldn't expect anyone here to know that if they stopped listening after 1992. since I've taken the time to let this album grow on me (even if it is considerable slower than the previous ones) I fail to see how that's done me any harm.
say what you want about By Your Side & Lions, they aren't that great albums. I like Horsehead and Young Man though, along with a few others

RM, I could really care less. Sorry dude, I think they suck (especially Mr. Kate Hudson, who I think is a stoned fool).

quote:

bad assumption. I listened to Voodoo Lounge more than any other record as part of the pre-release hype. its a little spotty but has enough on it that its grown on me in the last few years. I'm an even bigger fan of Steel Wheels and Bridges To Babylon (particularly Keith's 'reggae sellout' songs). as far as A Bigger Bang - the jury's still out for me. they do a decent job on the classic sounding stuff but only time will tell how well the more modern sounding songs capture the idea of the current trends without falling into crap like Rain Fall Down (that's one song I'll make no attempts to reserve my judgements)

Fine. Your entitled to your opinions and I actually agree that their post Tattoo albums have been spotty.

quote:
but if you want to talk about hits, these records didn't have any. well, Love Is Strong did better than OK. so that makes the Stones entire 90's output a one-hit wonder.

This is where I take issue, I was never trumping the Stones "hits", my point was that the Crowes have very little to show for their career other than their first album from the early 90's. Unlike the mighty Stones, they failed to sustain a solid career due largely to their lousy follow-up albums which I am not alone in disliking. Whether you like it or not, they will forever be remembered by their early 90's heyday as little more than a third generation, poor man's Rolling Stones.

But I'm tired of arguing, let's just say I like the Black Crowes about as much as you guys like A Bigger Bang and leave it at that. Peace.
September 9th, 2005 08:48 PM
exile If people here were interested in talking about 'white trash' steven tyler/joe perry ripoff like the black crowes are....we would join a black crowes board.

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)