ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How come Goat's Head Soup is so underrated? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 8th, 2005 02:12 PM
Jumping Jack GHS was MT's best work and an outstanding album. The 73 Oz and European boots capture the Stones at the pinnacle of their greatness!
September 8th, 2005 02:18 PM
ListenToTheLion Underrated? It's one of their top albums. I don't know who are the ones who underrate this album but they must be out of their minds.
September 8th, 2005 02:19 PM
Scratched Back Good to see so many fans love it! I just wondered, since I have seen so many lists of favourite records on boards like these that do not mention GHS! Also ive read so many reviews on the internet that mention SG and TY as the two great albums after Exile totally diusregarding GHS!
[Edited by Scratched Back]
September 8th, 2005 02:41 PM
Surround Sister My absolute fav.
September 8th, 2005 02:43 PM
jb
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

so very sad...I have not even had the nerve to talk to anyone about it....is this QB that bad? is it our line? it can not all be Coker's fault, can it?

Line sucks big time!!!!
September 8th, 2005 02:52 PM
texile actually - ryan adams named this as his favorite stones album....
its beautiful - just that simple and people didn't expect or WANT that from the stones after the heaviness of the previous big four....but i remember being 13 years old - GHS was one of the last ones i got - and my adolescent room just filled up with the warm glow and swirling sound of winter;
GHS is like a safe place to go when you want to dissapear from life.
jagger said at the time that it was like being in a coffe shop and NOT falling in love with every cup of coffee...he said it was evocative and romantic.....didn't know what the fuck that meant then but now i do.....it's about love.
September 8th, 2005 04:08 PM
jpenn11
quote:
texile wrote:

its beautiful - just that simple and people didn't expect or WANT that from the stones after the heaviness of the previous big four....but i remember being 13 years old -
GHS is like a safe place to go when you want to dissapear from life.
jagger said at the time that it was like being in a coffe shop and NOT falling in love with every cup of coffee...he said it was evocative and romantic.....didn't know what the fuck that meant then but now i do.....it's about love.

It is more melodic than the previous four, so maybe it sounds more comfy, but "safe place"? Exile is about redemption, recovery and life, while GHS is about death, loss, and loneliness. (OK, that's just my view.)

The oddness of that contrast--melodic sounds with a dark outlook--may have made the album less acceptable to the listening public despite the warhorses it contained. The "sound" of Sticky Fingers seems to better match its outlook.

While I am a fan of GHS and Mr Taylor, Mr Taylor himself has said he does not particularly care for that album or IORR. Of course, he's also said that he was bored on stage, so maybe his opinions on this sort of thing shouldn't guide listeners.

On her live album with Mick Taylor, Carla Olson introduces Silver Train as being from one of her favorite albums.
September 8th, 2005 04:21 PM
Jumping Jack The Carla & MT Live album doesn't do justice to Sway or Silver Train. :-(
September 8th, 2005 04:29 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Scratched Back wrote:
At least in my book it is underrated. Before the internet, I always suspected that GHS would probably be considered part of the Big Five by lots of fans (or even big six throwing in iorr as well!). I have never really had many fellow stonesian friends, except for my brother. Mind you, the limited world you live in without internet Of course, lots of my friends throughout the years liked the stones, but never up to a level that you could discuss GHS place in Stones history.

When I look at the songs, there are at least 6 that match the level of The Big Four:

100 years ago
Heartbreaker
Angie
Winter
Can you hear the music
Star Star

Furthermore, Dancing with Mr D and Coming Down Again are very strong, solid tracks that almost rank the above.

Silver Train is good, but not great and Hide Your Love is the weakest track (but still not bad at all).

The true gem in there is Hide Your Love - listen to that thing, the Stones had the groove going that day for sure. Hide Your Love and the first half of 100 Years Ago (before Taylor starts his guitar wankarama) are two pieces that could have fit into Exile easily, in fact sound like they at least started in the Nellcote days.
September 8th, 2005 05:31 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
The true gem in there is Hide Your Love - listen to that thing, the Stones had the groove going that day for sure.

Jagger's piano licks makes that tune!

Thanks, SB, for starting this thread. Made me bring it out again. First time, probably, since "Dancing So Free" was released by Mickboy.
September 8th, 2005 07:10 PM
texile sirmoonie...you're full of shit about taylor - but wankerama is my new favorite word.
September 8th, 2005 07:36 PM
Soldatti Goats Head Soup is the most underrated album ever!
September 8th, 2005 08:03 PM
christijanus I hate two songs on it: Can you hear the music ( wich is no music to me) and Hide your love. Strange I can name the songs out of my head, with out thinking. As probally most songs of the Stones
September 8th, 2005 08:14 PM
sammy davis jr. It's definitely among their top 5-7 records. I happen to love Hide Your Love as well...I wouldn't call it a classic though.
September 8th, 2005 09:03 PM
Trey Krimsin Goat's Head Soup is underrated, I think, because it's more melodic compared to the dirty blues boogie of Exile On Main Street. There are some great rockers like "Starfucker" and "Dancing With Mr. D", but if you compare them to "All Down The Line" or "Rocks Off", there is a major difference in the guitar sound. Is it more Mick Taylor? Possibly, or I could be talking complete shit out of my ass. To me, there is a completely different vibe from GHS compared to Exile or any other Stones record.
September 8th, 2005 09:28 PM
the good The album is very poorly produced in certain parts, and this has an adverse effect on its overall quality. A lot of it has a very heavy early- mid 70's sound on the guitar distortion that sounds like shit now. Plus, the sequencing of tracks is horrible. They could have done a better job if they wrote the names of all the tunes on paper, cut it into a pieces, thrown them up in the air. Starfucker or even Heartbreaker, a song I have never really liked (because of the production on it) should have opened the album, and Angie should have closed it. Plus, there are a couple of real bombs in there. Can you hear the music? Unfortunately, on that number, the answer is a resounding no.
September 8th, 2005 09:31 PM
glencar Can You Shut Off The Music would be more accurate! GHS is second tier. Nothing wrong with that. Next thread will be about IORR being underrated.
September 8th, 2005 09:48 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
texile wrote:
sirmoonie...you're full of shit about taylor - but wankerama is my new favorite word.

Texie, dude, 100 Years Ago had a vaguely Torn and Frayed feel to it, and "callllll meeeee lazzzzzzy bonzzzzz....ain't got no time to waste away......." may be the most goddam unheralded and unexamined Stones' moment ever, probably because seconds later Mick Taylor went ballbag on us and turned this finely crafted Jagger tune into the first rendition of Tom Scholz's More Than A Feeling.

Hey Joey, save this post, its got classic written all over it.
September 8th, 2005 09:55 PM
exile Great album

always loved 100 Years Ago

& Coming Down Again
September 8th, 2005 10:07 PM
Riffhard
quote:
jb wrote:
A great album....probably b/c it came after Exile...(?)

There's your answer. Short and sweet.

Riffhard
September 8th, 2005 11:23 PM
Zack
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
The Carla & MT Live album doesn't do justice to Sway or Silver Train. :-(

Are you kidding Matey? Taylor NAILED Sway on that album. The 12-minute Winter on Carla's latest is another story however.

I'll second that GHS was marred in places by poor production in places. Mister Jimmy coming unraveled for sure. Also suffers from bad lyrics (two references to .44's?, "silver bells they're a ringin'- ding dong"?), affected elocution by Jagger, Angie's syrupy strings, the sax solo on CDA (should have been Taylor), and finally what I consider awful artwork. A joke that didn't work.

That said, I listen to the disc a lot. Mickboy helped it greatly.
September 9th, 2005 04:00 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Goats Head Soup is the most underrated album ever!

Is it? I never spoke anyone who thought it was a bad album. So who are you referring to?
September 9th, 2005 09:53 AM
juggsy Another contributing factor that makes this record subpar (imho) is that Keith was so absent and the band was in disarray. According to MT the band was basically falling into various stages of drug use/abuse. Apart from Heartbreaker and Angie this is basically a Jagger solo project where he started relying on other musicians instead of Keith.
September 9th, 2005 09:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
juggsy wrote:
Another contributing factor that makes this record subpar (imho) is that Keith was so absent and the band was in disarray. According to MT the band was basically falling into various stages of drug use/abuse.

When was that NOT the case?
September 9th, 2005 03:52 PM
texile
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

It is more melodic than the previous four, so maybe it sounds more comfy, but "safe place"? Exile is about redemption, recovery and life, while GHS is about death, loss, and loneliness. (OK, that's just my view.)

excellent assesment of both jp - its the sounds that give the illusion of a safe place - but i also find it safe becasue its one of those precious things that opnly a select few people really love....when two fans get together and listen to ghs - NOBODY can intrude - its such an exclusice club.....
and you're dead on about exile - its always misinterpreted as a dark, desparate mood - but i always felt the sense of happiness all over this album - the "keep youre motor runnin" feel of hope, love and all its possibilities........
for me - exile was always a joyful noise of regeneration....and the chaotic sound of the music just adds to that exhilaration.
September 9th, 2005 03:57 PM
pdog Short and to the point!
Who are the raters?
I could give a rats ass! I know what I like and when I like it.

September 9th, 2005 04:15 PM
gimmekeef the version of Drift Away would have pushed the marketability up I think on this.Would have meant 2 covers but that version is a great song...
September 9th, 2005 04:41 PM
texile and criss cross - one of my favorite outtatkes - or for that matter....the original version of waiting on a friend, except its waiting FOR my friends; same musical track except jagger uses a sweet falsetto on this version, nicky's piano is more prominant - it has a lovely latin ting to it - the addition of these two songs would have made it a near-classic.
September 10th, 2005 03:03 PM
no night together

soldatti: i stepped into many people who under rate it. reviews, talkers, also self called experts. a few weeks ago on an italian newspaper a journalist retorically asked himself if "a bigger bang" was to be another GHS (meaning a flop) or another Some Girls.

personally: it's in my top five.

reckon it's underrated because it's not a loud and straight forward album.

escept the great star star it needs more listening attention to other albums.

i love it even more in winter: ghs is's wintery, it great.
September 10th, 2005 04:14 PM
jpenn11
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
the version of Drift Away would have pushed the marketability up I think on this.Would have meant 2 covers but that version is a great song...

2 covers? ATPTB?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)