ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How come Goat's Head Soup is so underrated? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
September 8th, 2005 11:11 AM
Scratched Back At least in my book it is underrated. Before the internet, I always suspected that GHS would probably be considered part of the Big Five by lots of fans (or even big six throwing in iorr as well!). I have never really had many fellow stonesian friends, except for my brother. Mind you, the limited world you live in without internet Of course, lots of my friends throughout the years liked the stones, but never up to a level that you could discuss GHS place in Stones history.

When I look at the songs, there are at least 6 that match the level of The Big Four:

100 years ago
Heartbreaker
Angie
Winter
Can you hear the music
Star Star

Furthermore, Dancing with Mr D and Coming Down Again are very strong, solid tracks that almost rank the above.

Silver Train is good, but not great and Hide Your Love is the weakest track (but still not bad at all).

September 8th, 2005 11:15 AM
Egbert Because people are stupid.
September 8th, 2005 11:17 AM
moy ghs is one of the best
September 8th, 2005 11:20 AM
The Wick I've never understood the criticism either. I think it was a fairly daring album in a way in that they took their solid roots and explored with different sounds a little bit more. That exploration of new sounds comes out sounding fairly convincing for me. Whereas, something like B2B, just sounds like shite. I just wish Winter was played more. It would be perfect for the B stage or the smaller gigs. Besides, it's the greatest album to listen to while driving.
September 8th, 2005 11:20 AM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT Its only a true gem to TRUE STONES FANS, because Angie was the only hit from it the public never liked it as much as previous album. And you look that it came right after Exile... but to me Angie is one of the songs I like the least when listening to the album, give me 100 years and Winter any day of the week, its one of my favorites along with IORR, but I dont think its cracks the top 5 best.
September 8th, 2005 11:22 AM
jb A great album....probably b/c it came after Exile...(?)
September 8th, 2005 11:26 AM
Saint Sway GHS is the most underated album of all time. By any band.

its utterly amazing. Some of Mick Taylors best work is on there. His guitar at the end of 100 Years Ago is insane!! Winter!! Silver Train! Heartbreaker!

the ballads are great. the rockers are great.

great great record. That I never grow tired of.
September 8th, 2005 11:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Great album artwork....(Damn I miss LPS sometimes)

September 8th, 2005 11:35 AM
Lethargy I've had GHS soup in my car CD player this whole week, digging it over and over. It's amazing. The slide on Silver Train, the great drumming burst and ending wah wah jam on 100 Years Ago, the straight ahead punch of Star Star, the majesty of Winter, etc. This is simply a great, great album.

Why is it underrated? My guess: I imagine the casual fan in the record store, considering it, looking at the song list noticing only two hist "Angie" and "Heartbreaker", not recognizing any of the other songs, and moving on to the next one, either one with more hits or at least more fame.
September 8th, 2005 11:40 AM
jb Lets admit it, MT simply lifted this band musically to heights that were never seen before his tenure or after his departure.
The man was simply brilliant at this time...
September 8th, 2005 11:45 AM
Lethargy
quote:
jb wrote:
Lets admit it, MT simply lifted this band musically to heights that were never seen before his tenure or after his departure.
The man was simply brilliant at this time...

No kidding. Sit back and imagine for a moment Goat's Head Soup with second guitarist...Ron Wood. Makes me shudder.
September 8th, 2005 11:46 AM
Saint Sway I think that its underated is part of its appeal.

the album has even been shamefully glossed over and disregarded by the band. But bc of that we really havent heard these songs live. Unlike, an album like Some Girls where we've been beaten to death with the songs every tour. It allows GHS to still sound very fresh. I cant get enough of it.
September 8th, 2005 11:49 AM
jb Silver train should be played, 100years ago, DWMD, etc....
September 8th, 2005 11:50 AM
gimmekeef I remember when it came out.After a great run of outstanding albums.Angie wasnt the rocker people looked for and for many the dark druggy atmosphere wasnt what they wanted.The album cover was goofy too.But to jb's point Taylor was really in a groove.Just listen to Dancin with Mr D or Angie on the boots....It is underrated but not sure I personally rank it in the Stones top 10...
September 8th, 2005 11:55 AM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I remember when it came out.After a great run of outstanding albums.Angie wasnt the rocker people looked for and for many the dark druggy atmosphere wasnt what they wanted.The album cover was goofy too.But to jb's point Taylor was really in a groove.Just listen to Dancin with Mr D or Angie on the boots....It is underrated but not sure I personally rank it in the Stones top 10...

The 73 boots are quite superb....HB, DWMD, Angie, SS,...really great performances from a band on top of their game.
September 8th, 2005 11:57 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
Silver train should be played, 100years ago, DWMD, etc....

agreed.

StarStar, Coming Down too

DWMrD would be a great number for them to do w/Mick emerging from the top of the stage in some Lucifer get up immediatelyl after the Keith set.

sadly, none of those songs will get played bc the Stones died 2 years ago and they were replaced by robots that are pre-programed and incapable of varying the set list.
September 8th, 2005 11:57 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

The 73 boots are quite superb....HB, DWMD, Angie, SS,...really great performances from a band on top of their game.

I prefer the 72 one, they got a better vibe.
but , yes, those record are great!!
Every Stonesfan can put Brussels on a Europe Map thanks to the boys!!
September 8th, 2005 12:00 PM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I prefer the 72 one, they got a better vibe.
but , yes, those record are great!!
Every Stonesfan can put Brussels on a Europe Map thanks to the boys!!

72 was equally superb....I just liked the new material from GHS added to the 73 shows.....I think Billy was added in 73 for more grove which worked at times ....
September 8th, 2005 12:03 PM
Nellcote Nothing wrong about the sound of "Heartbreaker" at the openah at Fenway.
Funny, I did not find anything robotic about it.
It's the Stones, dammit.

September 8th, 2005 12:03 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

72 was equally superb....I just liked the new material from GHS added to the 73 shows.....I think Billy was added in 73 for more grove which worked at times ....

Billy had a great sound for sure.
It was part of the show, not like the actual clown..
DWMD live was a killer !!to me it's one of the best example of MT great feeling , those licks are so fantastic.
To be honest I prefer Star Star from the 78 tour.

September 8th, 2005 12:07 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Nothing wrong about the sound of "Heartbreaker" at the openah at Fenway.
Funny, I did not find anything robotic about it.
It's the Stones, dammit.

Agreed...it was the best version I have heard in years...much better than recent memories....It almost compares to the 75 performance, but Keith was a little faster then as was Rw.

And Fly, I agree, 78 was a helluva job on SS......
September 8th, 2005 12:34 PM
Thing One Hey jb. Where all your bootlickers today?
September 8th, 2005 12:37 PM
glencar Licking things other than boots?
September 8th, 2005 12:39 PM
Gimme Shelter I love GHS, GREAT, GREAT ALBUM.
September 8th, 2005 01:06 PM
lotsajizz because of shit like 'Can You Hear The Music' ("Love is a mystery I can't demystify, oh no"!!!! gimme a break, or better yet gimme shelter!!). 'Silver Train' was better as an acoustic number. 'Dancing With Mr. D' is utterly insispid...get rid of the two I mentioned, make 'Silver Train' as it was originally done, add 'Criss Cross Man' from the same sessions and throw in 'Travelin' Man' and then you got an album to rival 'Exile'!!
September 8th, 2005 01:11 PM
jb
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
because of shit like 'Can You Hear The Music' ("Love is a mystery I can't demystify, oh no"!!!! gimme a break, or better yet gimme shelter!!). 'Silver Train' was better as an acoustic number. 'Dancing With Mr. D' is utterly insispid...get rid of the two I mentioned, make 'Silver Train' as it was originally done, add 'Criss Cross Man' from the same sessions and throw in 'Travelin' Man' and then you got an album to rival 'Exile'!!

Another poorly coached game by Coker...........unacceptable and more to follow..
September 8th, 2005 01:27 PM
Lazy Bones Some of the best handles on this board are from GOATS HEAD SOUP...

Great albums have great impacts on great people.

September 8th, 2005 01:48 PM
gimmekeef GHS likely would have had a bigger impact in US if it had been released and played live as part of 72 tour....
September 8th, 2005 01:51 PM
gimmekeef It just hit me....remember when they used to release albums every 2 yrs or so..And play most of them while on tour!
September 8th, 2005 02:06 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
jb wrote:

Another poorly coached game by Coker...........unacceptable and more to follow..

so very sad...I have not even had the nerve to talk to anyone about it....is this QB that bad? is it our line? it can not all be Coker's fault, can it?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)