ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby
Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 13, 2005
© Throbby Thanks a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "She Saw Me Coming" in open-F Return to archive
September 6th, 2005 10:01 PM
Mel Belli Playing along with the album tonight ... Sounds like "Coming" is dropped way down to an open-F tuning (CFCFAC) - a first in Keef history, no?

The nasty tone of the opening glissando lick plants itself right in your thorax. Something like this:

C----00-0--0------------
A----88-0--10-----------
F--------------55--0---7
C--------------55--0---7
F--------------55--0---7
C-----------------------

In a distant, sorta-kinda way, the lick is a cousin to "All Down the Line." God, I'm loving this song. I love the way the sledgehammer riff drops out and Keith is playing those "Memory Motel"-ish fills in standard tuning. I love the big chant of the chorus. I love the way Mick sings "Boy, did I get screwed."

Anyone who thinks this one's filler is wrong, Wrong, WRONG.
September 6th, 2005 10:12 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox I too love this song/riff, but I had the feeling that it was actually Ronnie playing the "Memory Motel-like" fills in the right channel. The credits say he's on this track and I remember only hearing two guitars. Sounds like somethin he would play anyway.
September 6th, 2005 10:14 PM
Mel Belli Naw, those are definitely Keith. Ronnie plays a few slide fills but not much else on that track.
September 6th, 2005 10:16 PM
Steel Wheels This whole album is awesome. Since buying it Friday afternoon, I've listened to it at least 10 times and I'm constantly getting hit with new stuff.

Awesome.

September 7th, 2005 09:27 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:
I too love this song/riff, but I had the feeling that it was actually Ronnie playing the "Memory Motel-like" fills in the right channel. The credits say he's on this track and I remember only hearing two guitars. Sounds like somethin he would play anyway.

Just for the record, I meant "Memory Motel" as played in the '90s, not the studio version.
September 7th, 2005 10:38 AM
wooden ...great idea to discus how to play some new tracks.
There´s a topic at Shidoobee
http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm391.showMessage?topicID=256.topic

Perhaps we can have some updates here

Mel Belli any ideas ??

wooden
September 7th, 2005 05:50 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Just for the record, I meant "Memory Motel" as played in the '90s, not the studio version.

I was kinda wondering about that as I had my mind stuck on the studio version. I still wanna say it's Ronnie playin that part in SSMC but then I ask myself, would the Glimmer Twins of 2005 allow Ron to "carry" a large portion of the guitar work in a song? Probably not.
September 8th, 2005 12:14 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
wooden wrote:
...great idea to discus how to play some new tracks.
There´s a topic at Shidoobee
http://p081.ezboard.com/fshidoobeewithstonesdougfrm391.showMessage?topicID=256.topic

Perhaps we can have some updates here

Mel Belli any ideas ??

wooden

I noticed at the Shidoobee post that "Driving Too Fast" is said to be in the key of E when actually it's B. Main riff approximately:

E----------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------------
G--------444-------44---------4444------2------
D--------444-------44---------4444------2------
A------0-222-----0-22-------0-2222--2-0-0------
E--0-2------0--2--------0--2--------------------

Verse riff is B to E.

And then "out of your brain, out of your mind" is F# - A - E - B

Chorus: B - A - E
September 8th, 2005 12:24 AM
Mel Belli "Infamy" reggae lick based on F#m - G - A

Then that little instrumental bridge is:

E----------
B--2--3------
G--2--2------
D--2--4------
A--0--0------
September 8th, 2005 12:33 AM
Mel Belli "Laugh, I Nearly Died":

Verse: Bm - G

Chorus: Em - G - Bm

opening lick, with hammer-on:

E-----------------------
B---------------------7-
G--7--9--7---9--9-7---7-
D--7-----7------------9-
A-----------------------
E-----------------------

Lick after "I nearly died" is Bm and Em played in the seventh position.
September 8th, 2005 08:09 AM
Mel Belli "Biggest Mistake"

I forget which order they come in (don't have a guitar in front of me), but it's in the key of F. Chords are F - C - Dm - Bb, with a Gm in the chorus.

Sounds like Mick's playing an acoustic capoed on the first fret, a la "Saint of Me."
[Edited by Mel Belli]
September 8th, 2005 08:32 AM
T&A I don't think this is a great album by any means - but SSMC is the best song the boys have come up with since Pain of Love - 22 years ago. Kudos.
September 8th, 2005 09:16 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
T&A wrote:
I don't think this is a great album by any means - but SSMC is the best song the boys have come up with since Pain of Love - 22 years ago. Kudos.

I'm really surprised by the folks who are disappointed with the record. I honestly don't know what more one could expect from the Stones today....
September 8th, 2005 03:14 PM
Mathijs I very much doubt She Saw Me Coming is in E or F tuning. You can play the lick on first and 9th position in standard tuning fairly easy. Also I do think it is Ron Wood playing the little fills opposite of the main riff, not Keith Richards.

Mathijs
September 8th, 2005 05:31 PM
KeepRigid According to Ronnie's interview in RS, the song was recorded live with just the four of them (Mick on bass).
September 8th, 2005 06:09 PM
gypsy
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Playing along with the album tonight ... Sounds like "Coming" is dropped way down to an open-F tuning (CFCFAC) - a first in Keef history, no?

The nasty tone of the opening glissando lick plants itself right in your thorax. Something like this:

C----00-0--0------------
A----88-0--10-----------
F--------------55--0---7
C--------------55--0---7
F--------------55--0---7
C-----------------------

In a distant, sorta-kinda way, the lick is a cousin to "All Down the Line." God, I'm loving this song. I love the way the sledgehammer riff drops out and Keith is playing those "Memory Motel"-ish fills in standard tuning. I love the big chant of the chorus. I love the way Mick sings "Boy, did I get screwed."

Anyone who thinks this one's filler is wrong, Wrong, WRONG.

I don't think it's filler. It's actually one of my favorites thus far! I like the part where Mick sings "I'm a sucker for her, I'm a sucker, thought I was so cool." His singing is really good there. I also like the fact that I can hear Keith and Ronnie singing along in the chorus.
September 8th, 2005 08:11 PM
sammy davis jr. Gypsy....very astute observation. I wholeheartedly agree. More Keith and Ronnie vocalizing is a good thing.
September 8th, 2005 09:26 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
I very much doubt She Saw Me Coming is in E or F tuning. You can play the lick on first and 9th position in standard tuning fairly easy. Also I do think it is Ron Wood playing the little fills opposite of the main riff, not Keith Richards.

Mathijs

No way that opening riff is in standard tuning. (I know exactly what you're playing, and it's not correct.) It's clear he's doing the "You Got Me Rocking"/"Too Tough"/"Dangerous Beauty" changes in the fifth, open and seventh frets, which is why I maintain he's playing in open-G style but tuned down a whole step.

All I can say is try it; you'll agree with me after doing so.

I'm even more positive that it's Keith doing the 10th position fills. The only thing Ronnie's playing are those slide licks around 1:45.
September 9th, 2005 11:42 AM
mark Could it be open E with a capo on the first fret?
September 9th, 2005 03:51 PM
marko Great song.
September 10th, 2005 11:39 AM
T&A
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I'm really surprised by the folks who are disappointed with the record. I honestly don't know what more one could expect from the Stones today....

I'm not disappointed in the least. I expected an album somewhere in the league of B2B and VL - and that's exactly what we got. It's not a great album (neither were its two predecessors) - but it's what we can expect from this era of the Stones.
September 10th, 2005 04:22 PM
Mathijs o.k., you're right: it isn't in standard tuning; it's in open G. It's actually a really simple lick, but the trick is the capo at the first fret which lifts the lick into something sonically stranger sounding. Here it is: tune to open G and put capo on first fret. The riff goes tadada-ta-ta. The first chord (the tadada) is F with the B-string ringing (thus a C ringing), the second part is playing the B and G string with an upstroke, then sliding the G from tenth (F) to 12th (G) while stil letting the B string (C) ring. Finsh off with Bflat and C chord.

G----10----------
D----10----------
G----10----10->-12(slide)
B---------- 0--0--0-
D----------------

The main lick is played by Jagger to my ears, while I can't figure out for sure who plays the counter little riffs, it does sound like Wood, but again I am not sure.

Mathijs
September 10th, 2005 08:35 PM
Mel Belli You may be right. I'm not gonna bet the farm on it (if I had a farm).

I still think the open-F arrangement is simpler to play, and, going with Occam's Ravor, the simpler explanation is probably the true one. (Simplicity is always your best bet, too, when you're dealing with Keith.)

Also, I still insist it's Keith playing the main lick. Ronnie said (in Rolling Stone) they cut the bones of the song live, and Mick is credited with playing bass on it. My guess is that Keith was playing the main riff live and overdubbed those little right-channel fills (sounds a lot like his cream-colored Strat; plus it sounds like he's doing the little hammer-ons that he's been playing for the last 15 years), while Ronnie played the slide licks live. I think the main riff was cut out of the verses during mixdown.

The other reason I think it's Keith is that it's just too sloppy (in a good way) to be Mick. There's a point where the guitar that's doing the main riff goes flat - which screams Keith to me.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)