ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ron wood - plus or minus? Return to archive
September 5th, 2004 11:03 PM
kmc I know it's a little late to be evaluating Ron, but here goes -

Ron Wood has been the second guitar player in the Stones longer than any other. He sounds like a great person. He’s seems to be the perfect buffer between Mick and Keith. But has he been what the Stones needed?

Originally thought he was going to be a huge plus for the Stones. His first solo album and collaborations with Keith were refreshing. His playing (in the Faces) with Keith guesting on “Sweet Little Rock and Roller” was as good as any Stones’ interpretation of Chuck Berry except for maybe “Around And Around.” His slidework and ability to play lead and rhythm made him a natural fit in the Stones. Lastly, he wrote many diverse songs Faces that made one curious to see what he’d come up with Jagger/Richards.

Well, Jagger/Richards doesn’t like to share songwriting credits so all we have a few Ron Wood contributions. Most of it weak. (My personal fave is “Everything Is Turning To Gold.”) “Breathe On Me” would have made a great Stones song. Unfortunately, Wood’s solo albums have gone downhill since his first one also.

In the studio we have one great Stones album - Some Girls - from the Ron Wood era. Several excellent individual cuts. Of course, you can’t blame the quality of the songs on him and I can’t judge the technical side of his playing, but on listening it doesn’t seem like he’s bringing a lot to the table. “Weaving” with Keith is one thing, but too many times the guitar playing is nothing special. Maybe the group needed a producer like the late Jimmy Miller to contrast the guitars better.

Having seen the Stones in concert often, I’ve seen Ron play his ass off and other times seem like the grinning jester who’s just going through the motions. That seems to be the opinion of many reviewers over the years. Give us some sweat, Ron!

Bottom line - got to give Ron a C+ for his stint with the Stones to date. Potential never realized.
September 5th, 2004 11:35 PM
Bloozehound what the fuck does it even matter anymore, the whole bands been deadwood (no pun intended) for practically 20+ yrs now
September 6th, 2004 12:05 AM
MarthaMyDear BLOOZEY!!! Where have you been?!?!?!
It's nice to see you!!! ROCK ON, BUDDY!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
September 6th, 2004 05:01 AM
F505 I have given my opinion about Ron Wood a dozen of times. Now I stop. The whole subject is milked out...
September 6th, 2004 06:56 AM
MarthaMyDear This is a truly sad thread. Thank you and good night...
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST PLAYING!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! God, I
make myself crack-up!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit... It must
be late here... GOOD NIGHT!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!! :P
lol........ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
lol......

*** Martha ***
September 6th, 2004 07:05 AM
steel driving hammer Plus.

But Keith needs to let Ronnies guitar be louder.

Remember, (like in 81-82) the Stones are guitar band.

The guitars need to be very prominent in the mix.

Lesson the piano and horns, and turn up Ronnie, thats really all.
September 6th, 2004 11:43 AM
Nellcote Definite Plus. Woody is the balls. Day by day, I am convinced that he saved this band. Period. And JB, so you will know how I continue to feel, do not even bother posting your Taylor is God rubbish, that whole era is so over, just like your Dolphins....
September 6th, 2004 11:50 AM
BILL PERKS THIS WHOLE BOARD IS MILKED OUT
September 6th, 2004 01:15 PM
Angiegirl Milk is healthy. I think.
September 6th, 2004 01:47 PM
full moon Bill Perks, I have just shit liquid.....
September 6th, 2004 03:22 PM
F505
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
THIS WHOLE BOARD IS MILKED OUT

agreed!

LOL

September 6th, 2004 07:52 PM
Soldatti Plus of course...