ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: anyone listen to ROCKLINE last night? Return to archive
September 2nd, 2004 02:30 PM
Saint Sway Rich Robinson of The Black Crowes was on promoting his newly released solo record "Paper" and he briefly mentioned how exciting it was for him and his brother to open for the Stones at Wembley Stadium. He said Keith invited them to sit and watch the show with his guitar tech Pierre behind his amp. And about how much they were freaking out to be standing a few feet away from Charlie Watts.

he said that at the time he and his brother were fighting a lot and were hardly talking but once they got booked to open for the Stones they both got really excited and were like school kids again

I thought that was pretty cool.

www.richrobinson.net
September 2nd, 2004 02:36 PM
Joey Thanks Saint Sway
Rocks Off Member
September 2nd, 2004 02:58 PM
Mel Belli Very cool to hear, as it's more often you see him and Chris R. bitching sourly about how the Stones are out-of-their-minds greedy (some truth to that, of course.)

Anyways, if you live in the D.C. area, Rich is playing a cool little venue in Northern Virginia called Jammin' Java on Sept. 25. It's a really small club and can't be beat if you wanna be up close to a guy whom you're used to seeing in much-larger places...
[Edited by Mel Belli]
September 2nd, 2004 03:44 PM
Saint Sway Mr. Belli

I was wondering if you've had a chance to hear Rich's record yet? And what you thought of it?

you know from a legal standpoint
September 2nd, 2004 03:52 PM
Mel Belli I don't think Rich is a singer, but then, justice is deaf and dumb, too, right?
September 2nd, 2004 04:02 PM
Saint Sway one more legal question, Mr.Belli

"Yesterday I Saw You" - the outstanding opening track on Rich's record - sounds a lot like a Wino tune circa Main Offender. Especially with the heavy guitar riff and big chorus. Is this something that Keith could sue Rich Robinson over?
September 2nd, 2004 05:23 PM
Mel Belli In my expert opinion, no; not if Keith has chosen not to sue Rich over "Twice as Hard," "Jealous Again," "Remedy," "Hotel Illness," "Just Say You're Sorry," "Kickin' My Heart Around," ad nauseum.
September 2nd, 2004 05:59 PM
Saint Sway Thick-n-Thin, Sister Luck, By Your Side, Seeing Things, Only A Fool, Nebekenezer, p24 London, She Talks To Angels.... yeah your probably right. Besides its not like Keith needs the bread.

Rich definately has Keith down. Its a great tribute. He's doing amazing versions of "Hand Of Fate" and "Memo From Turner" at his live shows - so your in for a real treat when you go!!

TRUE STORY: Chuck Leavell is backstage introducing the Crowes around and Keith walks in and Chuck says "hey Keith have you met Rich Robinson yet?" And Keith replies "met him? I invented him!" and everyone cracks up
September 2nd, 2004 09:17 PM
Steel Wheels I attended one of Chris Robinson's terrible shows in Philly. This asshole had the balls to bad mouth the Stones for 300 dollar seats for the 40 Licks Tour.

I began to yell, "Write a hit, Chris" and "Let's see where you are at 60."

End of story.

September 2nd, 2004 10:13 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
This asshole had the balls to bad mouth the Stones for 300 dollar seats for the 40 Licks Tour.

He earns 300 dollars... per show!
September 2nd, 2004 10:57 PM
corgi37 ha-ha, thats brilliant! I never had time for the BC. Just tried way, way too hard to be photo-copied Stones, circa 72-75. That "remedy" clip is just an insult. Almost like CR had jagger himself there in person coaching him for the moves.
September 3rd, 2004 09:31 AM
Factory Girl Where is that Jivin Java joint located in Sweet VA?
September 3rd, 2004 10:32 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
I attended one of Chris Robinson's terrible shows in Philly. This asshole had the balls to bad mouth the Stones for 300 dollar seats for the 40 Licks Tour.

Chris has quite a big mouth. Plus he can be a total asshole at times. Its a brutal combination that has pissed people off for years. But thats rock and roll I guess.

his brother Rich on the other hand is a lot more respectful, especially in referring to the Stones - who are his heroes and biggest inspiration.
September 3rd, 2004 06:14 PM
Saint Sway if you hit a record store this holiday weekend and are looking for some good new tunes then pick up Rich Robinsons "Paper" - it'll make your weekend!

cheers!
September 3rd, 2004 07:05 PM
Gazza >Rich Robinson of The Black Crowes was on promoting his newly released solo record "Paper" and he briefly mentioned how exciting it was for him and his brother to open for the Stones at Wembley Stadium. He said Keith invited them to sit and watch the show with his guitar tech Pierre behind his amp. And about how much they were freaking out to be standing a few feet away from Charlie Watts.

I was at all 3 of those Wembley shows. I have to say I could never warm to their music and I thought they were very mediocre at Wembley that week. Good Stones-y sound, but the songs just weren't there IMO.

The final night it started raining - not too heavily though - when they were playing. They weren't getting the crowd warmed up at all and just cut short their set

>I attended one of Chris Robinson's terrible shows in Philly. This asshole had the balls to bad mouth the Stones for 300 dollar seats for the 40 Licks Tour.

he's just gone up in my estimation!

[Edited by Gazza]
September 3rd, 2004 10:53 PM
Steel Wheels I'm listening to Hendrix - Electric Ladyland. The Robinson music can wait.
September 4th, 2004 03:10 PM
Mel Belli Factory Girl - Jammin' Java is in Vienna, Va. Try www.jamminjava.com for directions and box-office info. Very cool little place.
September 4th, 2004 04:53 PM
Factory Girl Thanks Mel Belli.