ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Was Nils Lofgren considered to replace Mick Taylor? Return to archive
August 31st, 2004 12:39 PM
CS Never heard about it, does anybody know if this is real?

Grin disbanded in 1974, just as rumors began swirling that Lofgren was one of the guitarists being considered to fill Mick Taylor's slot in the Rolling Stones; the post ended up going to Ron Wood. Lofgren forged ahead as a solo artist; his albums "Nils Lofgren" and "Cry Tough" were critically acclaimed and moderately successful. (The self-titled disc, ironically, included "Keith Don't Go," a fan's plea to Stones guitarist Keith Richards asking him to clean up and avoid Jimi Hendrix's fate.)

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=279768&category=ARTS&BCCode=&newsdate=8/26/2004

August 31st, 2004 01:23 PM
Saint Sway the way I recall reading about this was that Nils thought wanted to audition for the part but never got asked, or was told no thanks. Depends on what story you read.

I read a story that Ronnie Wood told about Nils wanting to get backstage at a Stones show and the security guard telling Keith that Nils Lofgren would like to meet you and Keith replied something like "ask him how much he's willing to pay" or something like that.

I saw Nils during the Stones shows in Vegas on the Licks tour. He was staying in the room next to mine at the MGM. He's a huge Stones fan. He said he had a brief break from his Bruce gigs and flew out, picked up his family and caught a flight to Vegas just to catch the shows. That makes him OK in my book.
August 31st, 2004 01:24 PM
erikjjf Lofgren hung around trying to get an audition, but Keith wouldn't let him. This is mentioned in Bockris' KR bio.
September 1st, 2004 12:46 AM
Soldatti Interesting...
September 1st, 2004 01:48 AM
stonedinaustralia yeah - according to bokris - lofgren asked keithif he could audition and keith's response was "how much will you pay me"
September 1st, 2004 01:57 AM
beer SIA, Miss ya buddy. you should post more..

...well and truely, cervesa.
September 1st, 2004 02:10 AM
stonedinaustralia hi beer - thanks for that my friend and the same to you - would post more but things seem a little slow round here lately - not a lot of news to comment on and a lot of the general topics are ones which i've already thrown in my two cents worth in the past - i guess that happens when you've been hanging around here as long as we have - what we need is a hot topic to generate some lively debate

anyway, how's things?? - the wedding still a happening thing i hope - who's the lucky girl?? - all the best for that by the way - i hope you can post some pics. of the happy event - where are you going for your honeymoon

what stones song do you want played to honour the occasion??

cheers my man

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
September 2nd, 2004 02:07 AM
beer PM SIA
September 2nd, 2004 02:46 AM
stonedinaustralia and one for you beer
September 2nd, 2004 02:53 AM
beer aye mate, got it. i forgot another one i suggest. Steinbeck. avoid salinger, and quite possibly Kafka. but my opinion on him is sorta up in the air. aww fuck that crap, lets drink!
September 2nd, 2004 03:15 AM
stonedinaustralia beer - i was going to suggest - truman capote's "in cold blood" - i'm just reading it (again) now - i know he got slagged of in greenfields book as a "mincing gay-bar loiterer" but it's an excellent read - fact set in a "novel" format

but, yeah, to hell with all that...let's go get stoned
September 2nd, 2004 03:32 AM
Poplar
Haha. Speaking of "mincing gay-bar loiterers" ... I just read "The picture of Dorian Gray" Great book.