ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: From Woody - re : Charlie...and some tour gossip Return to archive
August 31st, 2004 07:57 AM
Gazza I copied and pasted this review by Halup (and a couple of others) on IORR regarding the Rod & Ronnie appearance at the Hollywood Bowl at the weekend on TTM's thread elsewhere on this board

Re-posting this extra tidbit for those who maye have missed it as it contains a couple of other bits of information which have been on our minds lately...

>I am back also from the show. Ronnie sounded fantastic proving that any doubts about his guitar playing are unfounded. He was especially great on the solo for I'd Rather Go Blind. Ian MacLagan was in fact at the show and played on Maggie May until the end.

Through a guy I know, who is a good friend of Ronnie's, I was able to meet Ronnie after the show and got a photo taken with him, as well as a few things signed. He is such a genuinely nice guy. I told Ronnie that we are all very concerned about Charlie and he told that Charlie's treatment had just ended on Sunday. The good thing is that you could see that he was very optimistic about Charlie. While I did not personally ask Ronnie about the tour next year, my friend had told me that he has heard that they are planning to start the tour in June, though he did not know if it would start in the US or elsewhere.
Halup

August 31st, 2004 08:05 AM
Angiegirl Thanks Gary, let's hope for the best!
August 31st, 2004 08:07 AM
Jumacfly Good news from Charlie, great!!!
thank you Gazza!
September 1st, 2004 12:51 AM
Soldatti Great news, thanks for post it!
September 2nd, 2004 07:43 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:

[...]
, my friend had told me that he has heard that they are planning to start the tour in June, though he did not know if it would start in the US or elsewhere.
Halup

The tour will start in Argentina, then Brazil, US, Mexico, and then Europe, returning again to US playing small gigs, something that my beloved Burcee Townshend Joey complaint about small venues being missed last tour.

but please, don't you ever forget

STONES RULE YOU BASTARDS.

********END OF TRANSMISSION**********

D.J. THELONIUS MONK MILES GILLESPIE PARKER WATTS

[Edited by J.J.Flash]
September 2nd, 2004 07:58 AM
Gazza that probably would have been practical had the tour began in early 2005/spring 2005 as was originally hoped, because that is summer in South America and Australia etc.

The first sensible rule of touring is to play where the weather is reliable - especially important for outdoor shows, but also important when it comes to transporting the crew and equipment. You also have to take into account availability of stadiums and arenas that would otherwise be used for sports (ie, forget about playing European stadiums apart from May - August or baseball stadiums in the US between spring and September/early October).

Obviously, you could pretty much play in South America at any time of year weather wise but in the northern hemisphere they are more limited. It makes more sense therefore that if a tour is to start around June 2005 and will include any outdoor venues it would realistically have to take place in either Europe or in North America (using football stadiums for outdoor shows). I dont think theyd start in Europe as the last tour ended there and its much to soon, so it really points to a start in North America for EVERY conceivable reason (more high profile, more chance of making a lot of money to pay for the initial costs of funding the tour, less saturation as theyve played almost everywhere else since they were last there and also availability of stadia and good weather)

If they were to start in summer 2005,and IF they are planning to play a reasonable amount of stadium shows, my personal guess would be :

Summer/autumn 2005 - North America
winter 2005 or early 2006 - South America
winter/spring 2006 - Asia, Australia & maybe some more indoor North American shows
summer 2006 - Europe
[Edited by Gazza]
September 2nd, 2004 08:43 AM
nankerphelge Glad to hear he's playing well.

I watched the 4 Flicks theater show this past weekend and I was reminded just how well he played last tour. He played the Wayne Perkins solos from both Hand of Fate and Worried About You quite nicely -- the Weissenwatzits on No Expectations was beautiful!

Oh and the banana -- classic!!

September 2nd, 2004 10:42 AM
Some Guy Wow, I'm feeling all giddy.
September 2nd, 2004 11:35 AM
Martha This is absolutely GREAT news, thank you for posting it Gary!

Ronnie looks fantastic in those shots with Rod. He looks ready to ROCK!

2005!!!!!!

:-)

Martha
September 2nd, 2004 11:41 AM
jb Thanks Gazza!!! This bullshit had to be stopped!!!
September 2nd, 2004 11:49 AM
Joey

<---- Thanks Gazza!!! This bullshit had to be stopped!!!

September 2nd, 2004 12:05 PM
rogerriffin IN STONES WE TRUST!
September 2nd, 2004 12:29 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Glad to hear he's playing well.
I watched the 4 Flicks theater show this past weekend and I was reminded just how well he played last tour. He played the Wayne Perkins solos from both Hand of Fate and Worried About You quite nicely -- the Weissenwatzits on No Expectations was beautiful!

Totally Agree...it s great to hear Ronnie playing like that, but I m more impressed by the rythm part of his playing,like on worried about you, Love Train (can you hear theses funky licks??? ),Dance..

Anyway he was in better shape in USA, Can t You Hear me knocking solo from MSG or his work in Palais royale like on Hot Stuff, Stray cat blues and Heart of stone are my personnal sunlights from the Licks tour..

But well, no threadjacking here, Learning that Ronnie and Charlie get well is priceless news!!!
they should be more involved in the next record making of or tour!!
i don t know so many bands that could live without those two great musicians..but wait, hoobastank, hoobastards ??? who are those wankers Ronnie and WHY WHY WHY????( sorry i m training for the tee shirt)!!!

September 2nd, 2004 02:03 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Gazza!!! This bullshit had to be stopped!!!

Which one my evergladian pal?
September 2nd, 2004 02:11 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Gazza!!! This bullshit had to be stopped!!!

Which one.....
September 2nd, 2004 10:07 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Summer/autumn 2005 - North America
winter 2005 or early 2006 - South America
winter/spring 2006 - Asia, Australia & maybe some more indoor North American shows
summer 2006 - Europe
[Edited by Gazza]

Your prediction is the most probable now, I'm sure that will be on that way...
September 2nd, 2004 11:29 PM
corgi37 I can tell you right now - They wont tour here. Maybe never will again.
September 3rd, 2004 02:47 AM
IanBillen
Well I am by no means raining on any Pararade or anything but let's just see what happens. Yes, even I this time must say "just wait and see what happens". No need to plan all these tour possibilities when that is a ways off. First we have to hear solid rock news that Charlie is fully cured and fully recovered and ready to get back to work.
By the way, Gazza you mentioned Charlie finished his treatments on Sunday. Does that mean it is over for him as far as his cancer treatment goes? Is that a wrap? I am not sure if they test after to see if the cancer is still there or during, or both? If they test during would they stop treatment for a bit even though some cancer may still be present of would they continue or move toward a new possible treatment?
In other words, does Ronnie saying he finished his treatments on Sunday, mean: that is basically a done deal now Charlie can get on with his regular life? Is this how you guys are taking it? and am I supposed to be taking it that way as well?
Ian
September 3rd, 2004 03:17 AM
Hannalee He should have a follow-up appointment fairly soon after his treatment finished, then regular checkups every three months; then every six; then once a year. Not being sure exactly where his cancer was, or what morphological type, I don't know how long the observations will go on if there's no spread or recurrence. Here's hoping.

[Edited by Hannalee]
[Edited by Hannalee]
September 3rd, 2004 04:47 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
He should have a follow-up appointment fairly soon after his treatment finished, then regular checkups evey three months; then every six; then once a year. Not being sure exactly where his cancer was, or what morphological type, I don't know how long the obsevations will go on if there's no spread or recurrence. Here's hoping.

Thank you for the good input,
Ian
September 3rd, 2004 10:59 AM
glencar Good to hear! Back next week.
September 3rd, 2004 12:15 PM
T&A Saw Woody last nite at the gallery in SF. He did look very good. Shook his hand...he admired my tongue shirt. For those wondering: he was smoking and had a drink (can't say if alcoholic - looked like cranberry juice).
September 3rd, 2004 01:20 PM
Stray Cat UK Please remember - Give Charlie some Time and Peace.

A suggestion - if a new album is recorded,how about giving proper credit for songwriting/creating , ie

JAGGER / RICHARDS / WATTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He's probably there at the beginning of the process more than mick and keith both are.(?)

scuk
September 3rd, 2004 01:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Please remember - Give Charlie some Time and Peace.

A suggestion - if a new album is recorded,how about giving proper credit for songwriting/creating , ie

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
September 3rd, 2004 02:05 PM
Stray Cat UK Fair comment.

September 3rd, 2004 02:18 PM
Elliot Whitcomb
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Well I am by no means raining on any Pararade or anything but let's just see what happens. Yes, even I this time must say "just wait and see what happens". No need to plan all these tour possibilities when that is a ways off. First we have to hear solid rock news that Charlie is fully cured and fully recovered and ready to get back to work.
By the way, Gazza you mentioned Charlie finished his treatments on Sunday. Does that mean it is over for him as far as his cancer treatment goes? Is that a wrap? I am not sure if they test after to see if the cancer is still there or during, or both? If they test during would they stop treatment for a bit even though some cancer may still be present of would they continue or move toward a new possible treatment?
In other words, does Ronnie saying he finished his treatments on Sunday, mean: that is basically a done deal now Charlie can get on with his regular life? Is this how you guys are taking it? and am I supposed to be taking it that way as well?
Ian

Mind your own bloody business.

September 3rd, 2004 09:23 PM
Soldatti The Jagger/Richards credits will be forever. Look at Forty Licks with the 4 new songs and even the two jams on Four Flicks...
September 3rd, 2004 09:40 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Gazza wrote:
(...)The first sensible rule of touring is to play where the weather is reliable(...)

I'd put touring behind a new album #1 on my list of rules ;-)