ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SOUTH BANK SHOW SPECIAL ON RONNIE - SUNDAY 5/9/04 (ITV) Return to archive
August 31st, 2004 06:40 AM
Gazza

Ronnie Wood

Sun 5th Sep 22:45 - 23.50

The South Bank Show takes an exclusive look behind the public image of rock icon Ronnie Wood to see how he deals with fame by combining his two passions: music and painting.

On a tour of his homes and private music and art studios, Ronnie talks candidly about his life and ongoing battle with alcohol, his work and the drug fuelled lifestyle of the 60’s and 70’s, and the importance of his hobbies and how he balances his riotous rock world with the solitary pastime of painting.

"There is such an adrenalin that comes from playing live to people and then when you get the feedback, it’s hard to drop it", says Ronnie.

"Painting to me is very important because it’s something I can do on my own and the music is a group effort. It’s very interesting and quite an eye opener to see what people do actually like of my art".

Ronnie has been a rock star for over forty years.

He shot to fame with Rod Stewart and The Faces in the 60’s with hits such as Maggie May before joining what many consider the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world - The Rolling Stones.

Since then, he has been swept up in the roller coaster success and substance spree of the classic rock superstar.

"I never used to like a needle”, says Ronnie. "I think if I had been a needle person, I probably wouldn’t be around to tell the story today. The amount of people you just saw dropping like flies… it was very hard to survive that time. I enjoyed myself but I always knew my limits… I think".

Ronnie’s artistic flair was unearthed at an early age and he promptly followed his two elder brothers, Ted and Art, to Ealing Art School.

The three boys, who were also passionate about music, formed separate bands – Ted played traditional jazz, Art favoured rhythm and blues and Ronnie was seduced by rock n’ roll.

His ambition to be a Rolling Stone stems from his college days when as a student he vowed "I’m going to be in that band".

Now, most famous for his dexterity with a guitar, on every tour he takes a travel case of painting and drawing equipment and sketches as much as possible.

He thrives on capturing moments in others' lives.

Ronnie's portfolio contains an impressive array of portraits and figurative works, including countless studies of the great and the good from the music world.

Today, prints of his most popular work sell for thousands of pounds with the originals selling for significantly more, qualifying this rock legend as an accomplished painter in his own right.

Additional contributors include his brother Art Wood, wife Jo Wood, Rod Stewart, Jools Holland, Keith Richards and Jimmy White.

Produced and directed by Daniel Wiles, edited and presented by Melvyn Bragg

http://www.itv.co.uk/southbankshow
[Edited by Gazza]
August 31st, 2004 07:37 AM
Zeeta Cheers Gazman - this looks mint. About time they profiled someone decent on the South Bank Show. That Melvin Bragg is a bit of a turd burglar though!!
August 31st, 2004 10:56 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Fans of Ronnie Wood and The Rolling Stones living in the UK may be interested to know that this Sunday's (September 5th) edition of "The South Bank Show" beginning at 11.05pm BST on ITV1 presents an hour-long profile of the Stones' guitarist.

Ronnie made his debut recording in 1964 with the UK R&B group The Birds, releasing their version of the BO DIDDLEY song "You Don't Love Me (You Don't Care)" as the B-side of their debut single. In 1985, Ronnie and BO DIDDLEY played on-stage together for the "30th Anniversary of Rock & Roll All-Star Jam" MTV concert special in Los Angeles, CA and in 1987 and 1988 they once again joined forces for the highly successful "Gunslingers Tour" of the US, Canada, Japan and Europe and recording their joint album "Live At The Ritz" together in New York, NY.

The South Bank Show website: http://www.southbankshow.com/
September 1st, 2004 12:44 AM
Soldatti UK... is so far from here...