ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Stewart, Ron Wood Revive Faces in Hollywood Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 31st, 2004 05:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Rod Stewart, Ron Wood Revive Faces in Hollywood

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It was just like old days -- except for the absence of booze and cigarettes -- as former Faces members Rod Stewart, Ron Wood and Ian McLagan reunited in a rare on-stage performance during Stewart's concert at the Hollywood Bowl on Monday.

Wood, better known these days as guitarist with the Rolling Stones, accompanied Stewart mid-concert on five songs, including the Faces' biggest hit "Stay With Me," and returned at the finale to sing the band's wistful 1973 ode "Ooh La La" as McLagan played organ.

Stewart, 59, described Wood, 57, as "my best mate and younger brother," and the chummy chemistry between the similarly coiffed rabble-rousers of British rock thrilled the crowd.

Since Wood left the Faces to join the Rolling Stones on their 1975 tour, allowing Stewart to focus on his solo career, reunions between the two have been rare. The Bowl show marked their first extensive collaboration since Wood helped out Stewart at an MTV "Unplugged" taping in early 1993.

The Faces, famous for their alcohol-fueled camaraderie and sloppy playing, formed in 1969 when Jeff Beck Group alumni Stewart and Wood joined Small Faces members McLagan, drummer Kenney Jones and late bassist Ronnie Lane . The band never let work get in the way of having a good time, but managed to release four studio albums of raw bluesy rock.

Stewart apologetically warned the Bowl crowd that some of the tunes could be rough because of limited rehearsal time, but Wood summed up the Faces' career by saying, "That's what we're about is f---ing up, baby."

They also dusted off Faces covers of "(I Know) I'm Losing You" and "I'd Rather Go Blind," featuring a lengthy Wood guitar solo, as well as Stewart's own "Every Picture Tells a Story" and "You Wear It Well."

Wood returned at the end to play along on "Maggie May" and Sam Cooke's "Having a Party/Twistin' the Night Away," before Stewart generously gave him the spotlight for "Ooh La La."

Reuters/VNU

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
August 31st, 2004 07:31 AM
Steel Wheels I need a cd of this!
August 31st, 2004 07:44 AM
Jumacfly please tappers let us know!!
August 31st, 2004 07:45 AM
Gazza some very nice reviews of Ronnie's performance in the IORR site

more importantly, some even better news in the last of these 3 reviews:

>Ronnie looked terrific and played beautifully. Taking the stage about 10 songs into Rod's set, following a guest appearance by Rod's 17-year-old daughter, Ron tore into Stay With Me, followed by Every Picture Tells a Story, You Wear It Well, (I Know) I'm Losing You and I'd Rather Go Blind. His leads were strong and he and Rod shared the same mic throughout the set, clearly enjoying themselves. At one point, Rod joked that they had had the same haircut for the past 40 years. Ronnie then left the stage for several songs, after Rod promised that he would be back later in the show.

After a brief intermission and several selections from Rod's Great American Yawnbook Vols. 1 & 2, Ronnie came back out for Maggie May, a bit of Gasoline Alley, Having a Party/Twisting the Night Away and . . . best of all! . . . did the lead vocal on Ooh La La. For several songs, he played a guitar with the tongue logos.

He was extraordinary.

Paul Serchia

>Just got home from the Hollywood Bowl. Ronnie was amazing. Came out on stage with Rolling Stones Tongue logo on his guitar strap, wearing old blue jeans and an lime green shirt. Played his sunburst Fender strat for most of the show.

>I am back also from the show. Ronnie sounded fantastic proving that any doubts about his guitar playing are unfounded. He was especially great on the solo for I'd Rather Go Blind. Ian MacLagan was in fact at the show and played on Maggie May until the end.
Through a guy I know, who is a good friend of Ronnie's, I was able to meet Ronnie after the show and got a photo taken with him, as well as a few things signed. He is such a genuinely nice guy. I told Ronnie that we are all very concerned about Charlie and he told that Charlie's treatment had just ended on Sunday. The good thing is that you could see that he was very optimistic about Charlie. While I did not personally ask Ronnie about the tour next year, my friend had told me that he has heard that they are planning to start the tour in June, though he did not know if it would start in the US or elsewhere.

Halup

[Edited by Gazza]
August 31st, 2004 09:42 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Ronnie looked terrific and played beautifully. Taking the stage about 10 songs into Rod's set, following a guest appearance by Rod's 17-year-old daughter, Ron tore into Stay With Me, followed by Every Picture Tells a Story, You Wear It Well, (I Know) I'm Losing You and I'd Rather Go Blind. His leads were strong and he and Rod shared the same mic throughout the set, clearly enjoying themselves. At one point, Rod joked that they had had the same haircut for the past 40 years. Ronnie then left the stage for several songs, after Rod promised that he would be back later in the show.

After a brief intermission and several selections from Rod's Great American Yawnbook Vols. 1 & 2, Ronnie came back out for Maggie May, a bit of Gasoline Alley, Having a Party/Twisting the Night Away and . . . best of all! . . . did the lead vocal on Ooh La La. For several songs, he played a guitar with the tongue logos.

He was extraordinary.

Enough to send shivers right up the spine.
August 31st, 2004 09:53 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

>I am back also from the show. Ronnie sounded fantastic proving that any doubts about his guitar playing are unfounded.

Oooh, I like it

GO RONNIE, GO!
August 31st, 2004 09:57 AM
Jumacfly Hit me with Rod's wig Ronnie!!!!:
August 31st, 2004 09:59 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Enough to send shivers right up the spine.

Amen My Brother .
August 31st, 2004 10:46 AM
bootcover Pics from YahooNews

August 31st, 2004 12:18 PM
Jumacfly thanks for the pics Bootscover!
August 31st, 2004 01:05 PM
steel driving hammer Very nice.

Thank ye thank ye.

Nice Ronnie kept his Stones strap.

Now if only Keith would approve of Ronnie's guitar to be a bit louder and not to stay in the shadows as much it'l be like Stones 81, 82 again.
August 31st, 2004 01:11 PM
Martha Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!

I would be cryin' like a baby if I had been at this show....damn where the hell was my private jet???

Great photos....now where's the boot????? Gotta have this one.

mac_daddy....were you there????? Please tell me you were!

Martha My Dear...did you see this show?????

Holy Crap! If they would only do a tour........

Stay with me...stay with me, cause tonight you're gonna stay with me!

August 31st, 2004 01:28 PM
Factory Girl Yes, Martha!! Rod should tour with Ronnie with Ian McLagan on keyboards!

It would be great. It would get Rod's career out of the gutter and warm up Ronnie for the Stones.
August 31st, 2004 03:26 PM
moy thank you
August 31st, 2004 03:29 PM
steel driving hammer
August 31st, 2004 04:08 PM
parmeda Great pics, boot...

And, may everyone be warned: I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A COPY OF THIS SHOW
August 31st, 2004 04:48 PM
Dan
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Great pics, boot...

***ANYTHING?*** Damn, I wish you would have posted this yesterday. I forgot all about the gig and opted to go to bed early but I guess I could have easily slept at the Bowl.
September 1st, 2004 12:41 AM
sammy davis jr. Fuck- I'd rather see the Faces 'bout now than the Stones. Ronnie ALWAYS played better and was cooler in the Faces.
September 1st, 2004 01:06 AM
Soldatti Great pics, Ronnie looks great!
September 1st, 2004 01:19 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Fuck- I'd rather see the Faces 'bout now than the Stones. Ronnie ALWAYS played better and was cooler in the Faces.

Totally Agree...
September 1st, 2004 02:31 AM
MarthaMyDear Martha, I didn't get to go but I'd rather see Ronnie with
the Stones... That's just me... lol......... I spent a wad
this month on decoratin' my new place and I have to calm the
frick down NOW, basically, to be honest... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to a couple of rather boring art
openings but, you know, at least those are free and they do
have that good, ole' free food, and shit... lol..... I met a
cute guy at one of them and that's always righteous... HE!!!
HE!!! HE!!! lol......... :P lol..
lol... LAUGHING!!!!!!!! I'm going to
another art opening this Friday and where I'm going this
Friday, the openings are usually fun so I'm looking forward
to it!!!

Anyways, I WILL be checking to see if Bob will be coming
this way but I'll talk to you soon anyways!!!
Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (RONNIE IS BEYOND BEING A FRICKIN' HOTTIE NOW,
RONNIE!!! I LOVE HIM CLEAN, AND SHIT!!! YES, I SURELY DO,
RONNIE!!! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!! ROCK
ON!!! PEACE!!! )
September 1st, 2004 05:27 AM
Gazza Looks like you two Martha's will both be in luck re: Dylan

According to Boblinks:

"A west coast tour should start around the first part of October. The tour will move east
with possible shows in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio and end up on the east coast."
September 1st, 2004 12:38 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Looks like you two Martha's will both be in luck re: Dylan

According to Boblinks:

"A west coast tour should start around the first part of October. The tour will move east
with possible shows in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio and end up on the east coast."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHIO!!! Can you spell it?! I heard this rumor, but not with the details you just provided, from TMR yesterday afternoon. Oh my!!!!!

I'm getting my MOJO back up and running!

Let's ROCK!

:-)

Wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you!
September 1st, 2004 04:56 PM
Joey
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Great pics, boot...

Come To Joey ..........................
September 2nd, 2004 10:25 AM
parmeda
quote:
Joey wrote:

Come To Joey ..........................

Why? Got got sumfin' for me?
September 2nd, 2004 04:26 PM
Dan I was at the Hollywood Bowl last night and reminded once again why I hate that place so much. It was a nice that they added video screens but I dont really give a damn whether I can see or not if I can't even hear the music at a decent volume.
September 2nd, 2004 05:25 PM
Joey
quote:
Dan wrote:
I was at the Hollywood Bowl last night and reminded once again why I hate that place so much. It was a nice that they added video screens but I dont really give a damn whether I can see or not if I can't even hear the music at a decent volume.

WTF ?!?!?!

I heard that they just spent 95 Million refurbishing the damn thing .

Pete Townshend called the stage design of the old Hollywood Bowl like " Being in a White Vagina " or a " Testicle Factory !!! "

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOE JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JO JO JO JOE JOE JOE JOEY

JOEY !
September 2nd, 2004 05:50 PM
MarthaMyDear YES!!! You must have been having an off night, mac_daddy (?!?!?!)... The sound was nothing but spectacular when I saw The Who there recently and my friend and I were sitting in the benches... Usually at concerts, I'm within at least the first ten rows but I just moved and bought a laptop, etc. (but we enjoyed the HELL out of the show, none-the-less!!!)... The crowd does tend to get packed-in like sardines at that place, though, but maybe it was just that show... I like going there during the summer and we had a great parking spot there so I was happy!!!

Anyways, Joey, if you feel like updating me on your health, please do but I have a feeling you're pulling my leg and I fell for it... LAUGHING!!!!!! But, just in case, let me know, ok.?!?!?! Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
September 2nd, 2004 05:53 PM
Joey " Anyways, Joey, if you feel like updating me on your health, please do but I have a feeling you're pulling my leg and I fell for it... "

Hello Martha My Dear ..........................

Nah , I was just constipated , that's all .

Still , you came into my life like a fragrance and helped me find a way to laugh -- Now I know where true beauty lies .

I shall never forget your sincere dedication to Pete & Co .

You are much loved by the Joeykins !

Joeykins .

[ This has been edited by ]

[Edited by Joey]
September 2nd, 2004 06:19 PM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
Still , you came into my life like a fragrance and helped me find a way to laugh -- Now I know where true beauty lies .

Yes, toilet water... LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ODE
DE MMD!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how I
feel about myself as of about now but I think that soon
things will get ironed-out... LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I
hope... ROTFLOL!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!! Now I know why you're so
constipated all the time... You must be reading my posts!!!
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!! Now, *** I *** have to get into the
self-deprecating humor, here!!! LOL!!!!!!! I've been a bad
girl as of late and I don't mean the good kind (TRUST ME!!!
) but I am resolving NOW to turn over a new
fig leaf?!?!?! Pot leaf?!?!?! I'd better just say olive
branch and leave it the fuck at that!!!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
HE!!! HE!!! HERE'S TO SOME SERIOUS UNCAKING,
RONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE
THAT JOEYKINS!!! NEVER CHANGE!!! GLAD I
CAN MAKE YOU LAUGH (AND VISA-VERSA)!!! ROCK
ON, NICE GUY!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! PEACE!!! lol..

*** Martha ***
Page: 1 2