ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Libertines (New Album) Return to archive
August 31st, 2004 04:33 AM
Honky Tonk Man For those who care…

I bought the new album yesterday and what can I say? It’s very different, but good!

While the debut album zipped along at a frantic pace and every song sounded like a badly recorded demo, their second offering sounds polished, musically accomplished and every song sounds like its been worked out to perfection. There are rough and ready tracks with shouty lyrics but the production even makes them sound soft. There is certainly no Horror Show or What A Waster sound a like to be found here.

Up The Bracket has the feel of the Clash debut record about it. This one sounds like The Kinks. Other songs sound like Dylan and The Smiths. They’re influences can clearly be heard on this one.

The opening song is called Can’t Stand Me Now and it raced to number 2 in the UK Singles Chart. It is the best song on the album and an obvious choice for the first single.

Other songs worthy of a mention include What Katy Did and When The Lights Go Out. The latter is a beautiful sounding song about the fading friendship between Pete Doherty and Carl Barat. It has lovely Kinks style guitar sequence.

I never thought I would say it, but The Libertines have come up with a very pretty sounding record.

Better than the debut? Hell no!

It’s good, but some are going to be very surprised by it. If it weren’t for their voices, you would have no idea it was them.

I was playing it this morning and actually thinking to myself, “This album sounds like Between The Buttons”

They’ve gone soft

7 out of 10
August 31st, 2004 04:47 AM
Jumacfly I need to hear this one to have a new opinion about this band...my best wishes of rehab for Pete, indeed!!

Anyway Alex have you heard about the BEEs??
they seem to be the new fashion english band, a I correct??
are they in the "Coral/ Zutons " mood or what???
anyway thanks again for the Faces tip , im a big fan now!!
August 31st, 2004 05:01 AM
Zeeta Good review - I am buying the bastard today. I have seen the cover and it is a bit homo-erotic to say the least!!

YEah I thought it wouldn't be better than the first adrenaline filled debut. For some reason even when I am stone cold sober that first record made me feel as pissed as a coot!

M
August 31st, 2004 05:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man As there is so much more to The Libertines then the music, I think fans are going to enjoy it whatever.

I actually think they may gain many new fans through this release. It really does sound like a different band and plenty who didn't like the crash and bash sounding debut may like this.

With al the publicity they have been getting lately, it’s going to be a smash hit.
August 31st, 2004 07:34 AM
Factory Girl Thanks Alex!! I care! I'm buying it today, yeah baby!! I can't wait for the show in October!

I hope that Pete can get his s/t together, but I have my doubts.

How old are the guys in Libertines??
August 31st, 2004 08:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I hope that Pete can get his s/t together, but I have my doubts.

How old are the guys in Libertines??

I'm sure he will get on stage with them again, but I'm sure he will be booted out again a week later. He has always been quoted as saying that he can't see a way out. What hope is there for someone who thinks like that?

He is still active, though very sporadically. While The Libertines were playing at this year's Reading Festival, Doherty was playing with Babyshambles (his side-project) in the same town. This sparked rumours that he may get on stage with them, though it wasn't to be.

The fact of the matter is this. The Libertines could easily go on FOREVER touring without him, but could they do an album without him? No way. It wouldn't be the Libertines. Barat and Doherty are a partnership and they couldn't do it without him. I've always thought Pete is musically the stronger of the two.

Lets not also forget that all the publicity surrounding the band at the moment is down to Pete. It's not great, but it’s getting the band in the news and in the minds of the public.

Pete Doherty is 25; I think the other three are around the same age. Maybe a year or two older.

Okay FG, you can breath now!

Alex
August 31st, 2004 02:31 PM
Factory Girl Ok, I got the cd. Will be listening tonight!
September 2nd, 2004 11:03 AM
Gazza Libertines man Doherty gets suspended sentence

By Jonathan Brown

02 September 2004
Pete Doherty, former lead singer of the Libertines, was given a four-month suspended jail sentence yesterday for possessing a flick knife.

The drug-addicted musician was spared prison after a court heard him described as "one of the most gentle, sensitive creatures I have had the pleasure of meeting" by the father of a girl with the debilitating neurological disorder Rett syndrome.

In a letter to the court, Steven Holden Griffiths described how Doherty performed at the bedside of his disabled daughter Bluebell at the family home. The singer agreed to play after meeting the girl's sister while shopping in Oxford Street.

Doherty, 25, protested his innocence at Thames magistrates' court before admitting the possession charge, claiming the blade had been a present for a friend bought in Thailand. The court heard that he was stopped on 18 June by police, who found the knife in his pocket.

District Judge Malcolm Read said custody was the only sentence for such offences but he was suspending it for a year because of "exceptional circumstances" in the singer's life.

Doherty, who was jailed for six months, later reduced to two, last year for burgling the home of a Libertines bandmate, Carl Barat, said: "Justice was done and I am very grateful for all the love."

Doherty has a new band, Babyshambles, while the Libertines' second album, The Libertines, is expected to go to number one this week.

Source: Independent

September 2nd, 2004 11:05 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, Gazza. I think the new album is excellent.
September 2nd, 2004 11:28 AM
Honky Tonk Man Cheers Gazza!

Glad you like the new album FG!

The picture on the front cover was taken at what used to be my local pub!

I used to moan about that place. "Oh, are we going to The Tap 'N Tin again?" Now its on a Libertines album!
September 2nd, 2004 12:35 PM
Factory Girl Hey Alex,

Do you like the new album?
September 2nd, 2004 09:51 PM
Soldatti Thanks, a good album for sure...
September 3rd, 2004 05:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Hey Alex,

Do you like the new album?

See my review at the top!