ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's telegram to MT Return to archive
August 30th, 2004 11:47 PM
Zack Keith's telegram to Mick Taylor shortly after the latter's resignation in 1974 read something like "Really enjoyed playing with you for the last five years. Thanks for all the turn-ons. Best wishes and love."

I find these sentiments to be peculiar. Was it a sincere expression of thanks indicating regret that he was leaving, or a brusque kiss-off with a nasty subtext of "thank you and good night" implying they could move along quickly and easily without him. According to his wife Rose Taylor, quoted by Davis, Mick cried when he read it.

What's the consensus?
August 30th, 2004 11:56 PM
glencar Sounds sincere. Mick T. cried? Is that surprising?
August 31st, 2004 12:02 AM
littleredrooster It has been reported that Keith and MT had been close buddies on the heroin train to nowhere at about this time in Stones history.
Could it have been Keith saying goodbye to his partner in crime?
I'm not sure about the timeframe maybe a better Stones historian could authenticate this hypothesis with some facts
August 31st, 2004 12:24 AM
stonedinaustralia i'd say keith was sincere

remember, mick quit - he wasn't sacked

to me the note implies neither regret nor displeasure/annoyance - it just says "thanks"

although it has been suggested that mick and keith were pissed that he left at that time as they were days away from going into the studio
August 31st, 2004 12:24 AM
beer after reading countless keith interiews, i think he sincerely liked taylor, and he obviously respected MT as a musician. but in classic Jagger/Richards style, they talk alot of shit about people after the fact. they always have, from brian jones, to timberlake.
August 31st, 2004 12:27 AM
MarthaMyDear HI, ROOSTAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MISS AND LOVE YOUR COOLNESS AROUND
HERE!!! ROCK ON!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (I think it was heartfelt, myself... People always tell me not to read too much into anything, etc.... The people I did drugs with and were friends with, we had a weird bond, and the same goes for the people I was in bands with, also... I think MT just felt sad that he wouldn't be playing with and around Keith, etc., anymore, from the way it sounds, IMO...)
August 31st, 2004 12:53 AM
T&A Where have you all been reading the so-called "shit" Keith has been saying/writing about MT? I can only recall positives. The most obviously sincere comments I can recall come during the '85 Live Aid rehearsals where Bob and Keith both have very nice things to say about MT as a person and a musician....
August 31st, 2004 01:02 AM
beer well, Keith called him a permanent failure. Which i think is kinda arrogant considering taylor still plays the blues and jagger and Richards don't.
August 31st, 2004 02:08 AM
Diedre Keith has lots of not-totally-nice things to say about Taylor. You can read about it in the last couple of official coffee table books (On the Road and According to the Stones). Along with interviews over the years. There seems to be two main components to Keith's "problems" with MT. One is Mick T's style. Keith doesn't like flashy lead players; he also tends to put down Clapton for the same reasons. The other is the way Taylor left suddenly, which probably seemed disloyal to Keith.

BTW, MT was supposedly closer to Jagger than Keith. He and MJ did write together without Keith. But Jagger has had less to do with MT than Keith after the break. MT played some guitar with Keith here and there.
[Edited by Diedre]
August 31st, 2004 06:37 AM
Gazza >Keith's telegram to Mick Taylor shortly after the latter's resignation in 1974 read something like "Really enjoyed playing with you for the last five years. Thanks for all the turn-ons. Best wishes and love."

I find these sentiments to be peculiar. Was it a sincere expression of thanks indicating regret that he was leaving, or a brusque kiss-off with a nasty subtext of "thank you and good night" implying they could move along quickly and easily without him. According to his wife Rose Taylor, quoted by Davis, Mick cried when he read it.
What's the consensus?

I think the sentiments are clear enough. I dont see how anyone could interpret those words as anything other than genuine. The Stones made a lot of great music when Mick was with them and Keith is acknowledging the guy's contribution to that and how he enjoyed working with him. Straightforward enough.
August 31st, 2004 05:35 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Zack wrote:
Keith's telegram to Mick Taylor shortly after the latter's resignation in 1974 read something like "Really enjoyed playing with you for the last five years. Thanks for all the turn-ons. Best wishes and love."

What's the consensus?

A third view: an expression of "no hard feelings" along with a lofty view of the past that hopefully both would remember rather than the other stuff.

(The post made me wonder for the first time how Before They Make Me Run may apply as much to MT as to Keith's experiences in Canada.)

September 1st, 2004 01:11 AM
Soldatti Pretty strange...
BTW, MT played on Keith's first solo album...