ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Slipping away/Thru&Thru/How can i stop/Losing my touch Return to archive
August 27th, 2004 05:35 AM
marko Whats the best of the bunch?all are closing songs.My personal favorite is Thru&thru.
August 27th, 2004 05:42 AM
egon Slipping away drags it's feet and doesn't seem to stop,
but thru & thru is my absolute fav!
August 27th, 2004 05:46 AM
erikjjf Losing my touch is my least favourite.
Sleep Tonight is better as an album closer, in my opinion.
And All About You even more so.
I love the other three though!
August 27th, 2004 06:23 AM
Honky Tonk Man In order....

1 Slipping Away
2 How Can I Stop
3 Thru and Thru
4 Loosing My Touch = Zzzzzzzzz
August 27th, 2004 06:32 AM
Moonisup 1 HOw can I stop
2 thru and thru
3 Slipping away, (prefer the stripped version)

4 Loosing My Touch = boring
August 27th, 2004 07:33 AM
Mathijs How Can I Stop is hauntingly beautiful, while I can't stand Thru&Thru...an old man howling about pizza delivery..you can even hear keith's false teeth...

Mathijs
August 27th, 2004 07:49 AM
Moonisup well I liked t&T live, I don't think he should play how can I stop live, with plink leavell, he'll fuck up the song big time, like almost every song
August 27th, 2004 08:11 AM
egon
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
with plink leavell, he'll fuck up the song big time, like almost every song

What happened; he won't return your calls anymore???
August 27th, 2004 10:31 AM
Moonisup
quote:
egon wrote:

Chuck is a very naughty boy, from time to time
August 27th, 2004 10:43 AM
scratched
quote:
egon wrote:

Any minute, any hour
I'm waiting on a call from you
And you know this heart is constant
I'm your lover, Chucky
Thru and thru
Lover, Chucky, thru and thru
[Edited by scratched]
August 27th, 2004 11:15 AM
Mathijs There's songs that are so extremely beautiful I don't ever need to hear live. How Can I Stop live in NYC in 1997 didn't do it for me. There's more songs that I didn't need to hear a live version, like Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile, and even Can't You Hear Me Knocking. The latter is real fun to play though, so I can understand that.

Mathijs
August 27th, 2004 11:37 AM
Bloozehound The Worst
Too Rude
August 27th, 2004 12:42 PM
steel driving hammer

Except for him.

I LOVE Thief In The Night just as much.
August 27th, 2004 09:16 PM
stonedinaustralia the background vocals on thru & thru are awe inspiring - and they give the tune an air that is almost frightening - a menacing tone that sounds like its coming from a world where it's always 2.00 a.m. - whoever noted it would compliment the sopranos had good ears

but slipping away is just beautiful i'm almost in tears thinking about it (just kidding - but only just) - the theme of impermanence set against the eternally predictable is profound in its simplicity and as gazza noted in another recent thread the way the lines "one of them will be round soon" are delivered is,well he used the word "gorgeous" and while i might not have used that adjective, i struggle to come up with one to replace it - to me keith can rank himself alongside any other songwriter going all the way back to hoagy carmichael with this

"touch" - i enjoy it - nice piano - keith sounds exactly like he is - honestly he's 60 years old and in some ways he has lost his touch - that's what happens when you get old unfortunately

don't stop - i don't dislike it - it goes on a bit at the end - "how can i stop" - with difficulty it seems

to me one of his unsung gems is "can't be seen" - "i just can't sleep with you - i'd always be awake" - hilarious!!
August 27th, 2004 09:38 PM
Soldatti Slipping Away is by far the best of all this boring tunes. Thru And Thru is half bad (the first 3:20) and half good (the rest of the song), How Can I Stop is the most boring of the bunch and comming from another boring tune (Thief In The Night) didn't help too much and Losing My Touch is boring too but has some good feeling on it.

1. Slipping Away
2. Thru And Thru
3. Losing My Touch
4. How Can I Stop
August 28th, 2004 12:55 PM
padre I agree with you 100%, Soldatti. Never liked the first half of Thru and Thru, it should've been edited out completely. I really hope ol' Keef would stop whining and rock again. Or go country, The Worst is very good.
August 28th, 2004 03:26 PM
Soldatti Amen Padre!
August 30th, 2004 11:39 AM
Trey Krimsin Thru and Thru is my favorite of the four. It always seems I get them fucking blues. You know what I mean?
August 30th, 2004 09:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
Thru and Thru is my favorite of the four. It always seems I get them fucking blues. You know what I mean?

Like I said I'm 50% and 50% with this song, sometimes is great and sometimes is bad. I didn't like it before but now my affection is growing...
September 1st, 2004 07:56 PM
oldkr how can i stop and losing my touchn are rare windows into keith richards -- nuff said

BECAUSE IM OLDKR
September 1st, 2004 11:12 PM
Zack Can I bring Thief in the Night into this derby? I think it's the best of this lot, especially the NS version. It's got swagger while the other one's have Keith's "I'm a Loser" vibe going.
September 2nd, 2004 03:12 AM
padre The only slow one from Keef that does it for me is All About You. "you're the first to get laid, always the last bitch to get paid" is the stuff I wanna hear from Keith in a ballad, not losing my touch-slipping away-crying and missing you-bull! Ok, You Got The Silver works, too.
The outtakes from VL with Keith doing old country blues (Cocaine Blues, Salty Dog, etc)are the best stuff I've heard him singing with The Stones since Little T&A. There's plenty of good stuff on his solo records, though.
September 2nd, 2004 07:31 AM
Mr Hess The Worst

Theif In The Night

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 3rd, 2004 06:31 AM
Zack >..you can even hear keith's false teeth...

Shiver!
September 3rd, 2004 08:29 AM
gimmekeef I too wish he'd do something new with more up tempo.I've always thought the version of I Wanna Hold You on the Bridges DVD was excellent....
September 3rd, 2004 08:29 AM
gimmekeef I too wish he'd do something new with more up tempo.I've always thought the version of I Wanna Hold You on the Bridges DVD was excellent....
September 3rd, 2004 12:33 PM
Saint Sway Thru and Thru kicks ass in every sense. But it doesnt work for me as a closer. Its such a great song - moving - hard rock - that it should be mixed into the middle of the record

for best Keef Closers I have to go with "Sleep Tonight". Killer song. Haunting closer with the beautiful piano intro and then when the ghostly "ahh ahh ahhhh's" kick in it just gives me chills. And the boogie with Stu at the end is the nicest touch they've ever closed a record with.

for a lot of the same reasons "How Can I Stop" runs a close second for best Keith Closers
September 3rd, 2004 09:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I've always thought the version of I Wanna Hold You on the Bridges DVD was excellent....

It's the best song of Keith on a Video/DVD. Excelent sound and version.