ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How is Charlie doing?? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 26th, 2004 04:33 PM
Some Guy I haven't heard anything lately. I guess no news is good news?
August 26th, 2004 05:13 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I haven't heard anything lately. I guess no news is good news?

Radiation and Chemotherapy will reduce any tumor and thus make it easier to operate .

Surgery is the ONLY way to completely excise any cancer from the body .

" Prayer Time Ronnie ! "

Jersey !

August 26th, 2004 05:42 PM
Gazza >I haven't heard anything lately. I guess no news is good news?

its only been a week and a half since the story broke. Without trying to sound like a smartarse, I doubt it's something that we're going to get regular updates on like we do with tour and album news.

Also, its not exactly an illness like flu where there's going to be much of a difference in the space of a week or two!

People whose authority and contacts I have faith in have said theres every indication he will be ok. Thats good enough for me.
August 26th, 2004 06:19 PM
Some Guy Thanks
August 26th, 2004 09:50 PM
Soldatti I think that on the next two weeks will be more news.
August 26th, 2004 11:52 PM
BILL PERKS I CANT SHAKE THE FEELING THAT CHARLIE WILL BOW OUT ON ANOTHER TOUR AND IT'S OVER.HOPE I'M WRONG
August 27th, 2004 02:21 AM
IanBillen
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I CANT SHAKE THE FEELING THAT CHARLIE WILL BOW OUT ON ANOTHER TOUR AND IT'S OVER.HOPE I'M WRONG

Well I seen on Shadoobie that someone named Kathy talked to Charlie on the telephone. From the sound of it she knew him for a while or knew the family somehow and she doesn't post there very often. Everyone there seems to take her seriously as if she previously mentioned that she had ties with the Watts family.
Anyway, as the story goes he lost his voice due to radiation treatment but is now getting it back and seems to be doing fairly well and is in good spirits. No mention of any further treatments or anything.
Who the hell knows what to believe anymore....you know.
Anyway,
That is what is up over there.
Ian
August 27th, 2004 02:47 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I think... I'm sure...

Charlie's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood tonight

he rulez u baz tardz
August 27th, 2004 03:09 AM
erikjjf Kath has been in touch with Peter King who is a member of the Tentet and a close friend of Charlie's.
August 27th, 2004 04:59 AM
Gazza >Well I seen on Shadoobie that someone named Kathy talked to Charlie on the telephone. From the sound of it she knew him for a while or knew the family somehow and she doesn't post there very often.

Kath posts here as well, Ian. She's the reliable source I was referring to previously
August 27th, 2004 04:51 PM
Gazza ..and this was her post a couple of days ago :

he is able to speak now, he couldn't for a while because of the burning from the treatments. he feels REALLY shitty. he has one more week to go on those treatments. more info when i get some i can share....

so the good news is, he is talking on the phone again....

thread URL :

shidoobee
[Edited by Gazza]
August 27th, 2004 06:13 PM
kath yow....i've been upgraded in the world!!!!

i've met charlie, talked to him, blah blah blah....but by no means am i close to him or his family!!! i am friends with peter king, however, and he has been kind enough to keep me posted as to charlie's well being.

lord knows i've never called charlie on the phone. the post was that peter talked to him on the phone for the first time since the treatments started. he said charlie was tired and didn't wanna talk on the phone because his throat burned so badly. but then a few weeks later he was on the phone with peter.

i mean, i appreciate the upgrade...but it ain't so!!!!
[Edited by kath]
August 27th, 2004 09:28 PM
Soldatti Good news and good for Charlie!
Thanks for the update.
August 27th, 2004 09:47 PM
LadyJane Thank you Kath..for sharing this news with us.

I know I'm not the only one who just can't get Charlie off of my mind.

Get well soon, Mr. Watts!! I hope you know how beloved you are by so many.

LJ.
August 28th, 2004 06:33 AM
IanBillen
quote:
kath wrote:
yow....i've been upgraded in the world!!!!

i've met charlie, talked to him, blah blah blah....but by no means am i close to him or his family!!! i am friends with peter king, however, and he has been kind enough to keep me posted as to charlie's well being.

lord knows i've never called charlie on the phone. the post was that peter talked to him on the phone for the first time since the treatments started. he said charlie was tired and didn't wanna talk on the phone because his throat burned so badly. but then a few weeks later he was on the phone with peter.

i mean, i appreciate the upgrade...but it ain't so!!!!
[Edited by kath]

Thanks Kathy. Sorry for the mix-up. So you are on the inside more than any of us so I'll ask you (although I am sure you have been asked a million times). How is CHarlies future looking? And what exactly was the minor operation? Did they get all the cancer out originally and is this just to make sure all other cancer cells have been eliminated if there were any missed?
Anything you know from a medical standpoint
on our Charlie is trememdously appreciated.
Thanks again,
Ian
August 28th, 2004 09:29 AM
nankerphelge I smell a Tardrite...
August 28th, 2004 10:50 AM
kath Posted August 28th, 2004 06:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I smell a Tardrite...

i have no idea what that means, but i assume it is something disparaging.

ok. one more time. i've been on the boards a long time, so i thought everybody in the stones community knew this, but i guess not. anyway, i have the charlie watts website. had it for a long time. have communicated with sherry daly quite often regarding a book about charlie, but alas to no avail. met charlie in june 2001 at ronnie scott's. gave him a birthday present, got autograph, spoke to him for a while, was there every night of the residency, etc etc etc. became friends with peter king and anthony kerr. again saw the tentet in november 2001 in nyc at blue note, was there all week. saw keith again (he had been at ronnie scott's with woody one night, mick was there one night also, yada yada yada). again spoke with peter and anthony and the band and charlie all knew me by name. since then have have kept in touch with peter. he sent our good wishes to charlie for us in a neat little package via sherry. they took our notes to his house and gave them to him. peter is very busy, he is a jazz musician you know, and he plays what are known as "gigs" and is just putting the final touches on a hip hop opera that my husband will be staging for him when it gets to that point. so he doesn't have a lot of time. but he does keep me posted and i pass along the word. i have no idea if he had extensive surgery or if they thought the tumor could be shrunk by radiation. i know he had a biopsy. never have i said i talked with charlie on the phone or hung out at the farm or shoveled his horse's poop (although i would be honored!!!). i did say that peter was not able to talk to him on the phone for a while because charlie's throat was so burned from the treatments that he couldn't speak on the phone. but now he is able to do that, and is working on regaining his strength. if you, have any other questions, i refer you to gazza.
[Edited by kath]
August 28th, 2004 11:20 AM
LadyJane For God's sake Ian, I know your heart is in the right place, but you've got to learn when to STOP.

Kath has been kind and gracious enough to share info with us...what do you expect her to do...scan all of Charlie's medical records, x-rays, lab results, pathology reports, etc and post them for all of us to read!!

Be thankful that we are getting ANY info about a VERY private man.

Jeez..maybe Nanky's right...tardrite time for YOU!!

LJ.
August 28th, 2004 11:22 AM
nankerphelge Oh it was disparaging -- but wasn't aimed at you dear!

August 28th, 2004 11:23 AM
kath hi ladyjane!!! how you doin'??? haven't seen you in a long time!!!
August 28th, 2004 11:25 AM
kath Oh it was disparaging -- but wasn't aimed at you dear!

oh good. i hate disparaging......

thanks for clearing that up!!!! just what is the definition of that word??? i am so old, i feel so out of the loop!!!
August 28th, 2004 11:29 AM
LadyJane
quote:
kath wrote:
hi ladyjane!!! how you doin'??? haven't seen you in a long time!!!

Hi Kath! I'm just fine. Worried about Charlie, thankful for your information, and aggravated at some of our overzealous posters who just don't know when to stop acting like the Inquisition!!!

LJ.
August 28th, 2004 11:33 AM
kath well, i know everybody is concerned. i was absolutely terrified, particularly when i thought about george harrison....

but i really think he's gonna be ok. it seems like they caught it really early on, and he's not doing chemo so that is a good sign.
August 28th, 2004 03:23 PM
gypsy Y'know, kath, by next week, it will be all over the internet that you're Charlie's mistress.
August 28th, 2004 03:53 PM
kath LOL!!!!!

gawd.....wouldn't that be something???

yeah, "charlie watts picks old fat white broad with pendulous breasts and bad knees as mistress....

shirley watts stunned!"

too funny.....
August 28th, 2004 04:19 PM
gypsy kath, you never know...he might just have a fetish for that sort of thing.

All kidding aside, I totally adore Charlie, and the fact that he and Shirley have such a great marriage. I have said it before, and I'll say it again--Charlie has aged so well...he's more handsome now than he was in the 60's.
August 28th, 2004 04:42 PM
LadyJane gypsy..I totally agree. Charlie just exudes class. He's so distinguished. By golly, I think he's hot!!

LJ.
August 28th, 2004 05:10 PM
kath totally hot. totally. and yes, he HAS gotten more perfect as he's aged. he is just extraordinary. his skin is so perfect, and he's so compact.

i can imagine shirley's quote if she read that about me.

mrs. watts quoted as saying "well, if i'd known he liked that sort of thing, i'd have let myself go YEARS ago!!"

bless their hearts. they are such a perfect couple.
August 28th, 2004 05:21 PM
gypsy I was looking at a picture of Shirley and Charlie from the Sixties...and they both look better now, which can't be said of Anita or Keith--even though I love Anita and Keith, and understand all they went through, and realize they are lucky to even be alive.
Shirley is just stunning and she just sparkles...she has beautiful eyes and a great smile.
In the sixties, she looked plain next to Anita. However, now, if you put those two women side by side, Shirley is the striking one.

And, kath, I do remember Anita saying that Shirley had the personality of elevator music. Well, Shirley gets the last laugh.
August 28th, 2004 07:47 PM
kath she's a rock and roller, though. she loves rock and roll. and yeah, anita looks like absolute crap on a cracker, shirley is drop dead gorgeous, always has been. there's a picture of her on sdb from the early years, and she was stunning. and if you look at those pics swiped from the 4 flicks dvd, she is just incredibly beautiful. i have an old interview on tape of her talking about how much in love she and charlie were when he had to lie about being married and stuff. she's surrounded by her dogs, and she has this very quiet, self-assured demeanor about her. i would think she could also slice you to ribbons if she wanted to. she's awesome.
Page: 1 2 3