ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan to Publish First Volume of Memoirs (nsc) Return to archive
August 24th, 2004 09:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bob Dylan to Publish First Volume of Memoirs

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The famously private Bob Dylan , whose background and music are the stuff of legend, will shed light on his life and four-decade career as a singer-songwriter in a memoir to be published this autumn, his publisher said on Tuesday.

Dylan's "Chronicles: Volume One" (Simon & Schuster), the first of a planned three-book series, is a first-person narrative from the 63-year-old music icon, who rose to fame in the early 1960s and whose musical style ranged from folk and blues to rock, country and gospel.

The first volume of his memoirs focuses on significant periods in Dylan's life and is described by publisher David Rosenthal as "extraordinary, revealing and surprising. It is a beautifully written, singular achievement."

The 304-page book is due out on Oct. 12 and will be followed about a week later by an updated edition of "Lyrics: 1962-2001," a compendium of lyrics to nearly every Dylan song.

Born Robert Zimmerman in Duluth, Minnesota, Dylan left the University of Minnesota for New York's Greenwich Village folk music scene at the start of the 1960s. He soon won fame for his such protest anthems as "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times They are A-changin."'

The scrawny mid-Westerner who wrote lyrics like poetry and sang with a distinctive howl, shifted to more introspective material and later added electric instrumentation as he helped create the folk-rock sound and scored a big singles hit with "Like a Rolling Stone."

While Dylan sold millions of records on his own, some of his songs are best known through recordings by others like Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, The Byrds, and The Band.

Dylan, who still tours the world with his rock band, was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammies in 1991 and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Bruce Springsteen (news) in 1988.

He previously published "Tarantula," a 1971 volume of poems. Simon & Schuster Inc. is the publishing arm of Viacom .
August 24th, 2004 09:41 PM
gypsy I know what we can get Martha as an early Christmas gift!!!
August 24th, 2004 09:58 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I know what we can get Martha as an early Christmas gift!!!

Lol...don't be surprised if she's already ordered an advanced copy. Then again, she's been so busy AT Dylan shows, she probably hasn't had time.

August 24th, 2004 10:32 PM
gypsy Hell, she probably helped him write it...knowing our Martha.
August 25th, 2004 08:15 AM
Factory Girl Hey, I want a copy also!
August 25th, 2004 11:15 AM
steel driving hammer How many volume's does Wyman have?

August 25th, 2004 12:22 PM
Martha
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I know what we can get Martha as an early Christmas gift!!!

Christmas!?!???......my birthday is October 15th....

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!!

LOL

Ok, I did help Bob write just a few pages......how did you know!? I must be sooo damn transparent.

What good news this is. Tralalalalala!

And TMR rides tonight in Peoria!!!

August 25th, 2004 04:01 PM
gypsy Well, I wrote "Early" Christmas present, as I didn't know when your birthday was. But now I know! My mom's is on the 16th of October, so there is no way I can forget your's.
August 25th, 2004 07:39 PM
Soldatti
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
How many volume's does Wyman have?

two, by now...
August 25th, 2004 07:54 PM
Gazza It's only really one. "Stone Alone" covered the period up to 1969

"Rolling With the Stones" isnt really a sequel to that. Its a separate thing altogether
August 26th, 2004 12:33 AM
MarthaMyDear I take it you've PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE-PRE ordered your copy
already, Gary?!?!?!
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! I'm quite sure you have or the times, they
are-a-changin' (I know that's bad but what the hell)!!!
lol........... :P lol............
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P BTW!!! I saw Rosanna
Arquette (WOA!!! THAT WAS COOL!!! ) at Patti Smith last
night and we got 5th row seats and it
RULED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More on that later and I'll talk to you soon!!!
Take care!!! I can't wait to
buy this book, myself, either!!! ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 26th, 2004 01:53 AM
gypsy "Stone Alone" is so damn boring. I put it back on the bookshelf after only getting about a third of the way into it. I do use it as a reference sometimes...Bill sure took notes on every little detail, didn't he?
I like "Rolling with the Stones" for the photos...it's like a big scrapbook.
August 26th, 2004 02:56 AM
MarthaMyDear Oh... I meant to say: WOA!!! THAT WAS TRIPPY on the Rosanna
Arquette reference... LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just being
anal!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
racking-up!!! :P lol......... LOL!!!!!!!!! :P
CARRY ON!!! lol........

*** Martha ***

P.S. (I agree with you about Rolling With The Stones,
gypsy... BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!! I might just check that out
again tonight... I don't have Stone Alone and I haven't read
it yet but it DOES sound like my cup of tea, and shit,
'cause it's funny when people remember every minute detail
about things... lol............. I bet I'd find it funny so
I'll check that out (so THANKS)!!! ROCK ON!!!
PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
August 26th, 2004 11:33 AM
Martha Can you REALLY pre pre pre pre-order this book then?????? If so, how much does it retail for?

Martha My Dear...are you drinking coffee right now?

I am!!

August 26th, 2004 12:12 PM
Lazy Bones Here's the link from Amazon to pre-order it. Three days before...ohhh...someone's birthday!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743228154/qid=1093536646/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-8355894-1196001?v=glance&s=books

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
August 26th, 2004 12:22 PM
Martha Ok, I'm shooting for a copy of this book AND a show in Ohio perhaps on my b-day! Bring on the Dylan FALL tour...hehehehe.

Thanks for the link Lazy!

BTW, who has the Basement tapes.........I need those too!
August 26th, 2004 12:28 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:

BTW, who has the Basement tapes.........I need those too!

Check your pm...
August 26th, 2004 12:33 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:
Bring on the Dylan FALL tour...hehehehe.

That will be a Canadian 'out-door ice rinks' tour with Cohen and Lightfoot.
August 26th, 2004 01:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot I hate pre ordering stuff. They can't ship it to you until the day it hits the stores, so you end up getting it several days to w week AFTER it's available to the public. I hate that. I want it in my greedy little hands the day it comes out.

Oh, and is this a work of fiction, or is Bob going to give us the real story for a change?

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
August 26th, 2004 02:37 PM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I hate pre ordering stuff. They can't ship it to you until the day it hits the stores, so you end up getting it several days to w week AFTER it's available to the public. I hate that. I want it in my greedy little hands the day it comes out.

Oh, and is this a work of fiction, or is Bob going to give us the real story for a change?

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

I bet Bob gives us some fiction mixed with moments of the semi-real deal. We'll have to maybe read between the lines...but I'm just guessin' about that. I'll be checkin' it out that's for certain!

I wouldn't be able to get this book the day it goes on sale unless I drive two hours...so it behooves me to pre-order. I live in the land of redneckery and farm machinery.

BTW, Prayers are needed>Travelin' man Records is STRANDED in Chicago right now. I'm waiting to hear back from him about the situation. His car is having major oil problems....and he may have to get a new engine. Yikes!

He's still planning to get to Madison for tomorrow's show and he was in Peoria last night.

He needs our rock and roll travelin' prayers. Thanks in advance to those of you who wish him well.

Lazy......I knew you 'd been in that basement!!! :-)
August 26th, 2004 02:48 PM
gypsy Sending prayers his way right now!
August 26th, 2004 02:52 PM
Martha Thank you Gypsy! BTW, I did ask and he plans, although he does not have his ticket yet, to be at the OK show. I'll call you.....:-)
August 26th, 2004 04:08 PM
Lil Brian We could probably find extra tickets for Lincoln on Tuesday night too.
August 31st, 2004 10:00 AM
Lazy Bones
August 31st, 2004 01:18 PM
Martha
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
We could probably find extra tickets for Lincoln on Tuesday night too.

TMR IS in Lincoln for tonight's show Lil Brian.....if you want to hook up with him and meet afterwards you must PM me your cell phone number asap! Do it!

Sure wish I was there!

Martha
August 31st, 2004 01:55 PM
Lil Brian Martha
PM for you.

Just picked up the tickets.
The line is forming.
Baseball season ticket holders get in early at 5pm
I love baseball. :-)

August 31st, 2004 03:04 PM
Martha
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Martha
PM for you.

Just picked up the tickets.
The line is forming.
Baseball season ticket holders get in early at 5pm
I love baseball. :-)

I want you up close and personal...and please post a review if you can! Tell Bob I miss him, but to compensate I watched "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid" last night.

I also just tried to call you.....you must hook up with TMR! :-)

Martha