ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

23 years ago!!!
The Cockroaches - warm-up club gig - 1981 US tour
Sir Morgans Cove - Worcester, MA - September 14, 1981
© 1981 Ron Pownall
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brussels Affair Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 24th, 2004 08:18 PM
swapwoodfortaylor OK I'll come out and admit that the only CD in my car for the last 3 years is 'Brussells Affair' and worse still I only play 1 track...2 Gimme Shelter! Perhaps barring Beefheart's 'Strictly Personal' I have never heard a couple of white lads play the blues like that! Brian was of course King.....what delivery of 'Last time'!
August 24th, 2004 08:32 PM
corgi37 Brian never played on Gimmme Shelter, ever.

But, of course, Brian was a legend. By the time Brussels Affair was done, he'd been dead 4 years. What a master!

August 24th, 2004 09:37 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Indeed.....the Brussels Affair is a prime example of 2 folks (Richards / Taylor) getting on with their job with complete confidence in their fine rhythmn section.
August 24th, 2004 11:41 PM
Soldatti By far the best Stones boot, it's a shame that not was released oficially...
August 25th, 2004 01:03 AM
Egbert The Gimme Shelter from Wembley 1973 rules.
August 25th, 2004 01:39 AM
Poplar
Head'n For An Overload - same show, better sound.
It is the single most rocking CD I have ever owned.

August 25th, 2004 01:46 AM
beer yes brussels is excellent, along with the other great 72 73 stugff, but i dont think it's the be all, end all best boot of the Stones. The '66 hawaii and Melbourne are cool cuz they;re punk as fuck.

I'm not a big fan of '75. But do like the '76 stuff though.

Some of the '78 boots are way more energetic and they sound like much more fun.

I totally dig the '81 stuff. The "Under My thumb" opening just might be my absolute favorite.
August 25th, 2004 04:14 AM
stones-addict After being a fan for many years, I only just recently (in the last few months) got Brussels, and I was blown clean out of my boots! It would be impossible to express how amazing this boot is without the repeated use of profanities!
[Edited by stones-addict]
August 25th, 2004 05:38 AM
Jumping Jack I wish the sound engineering tech wizards would clean up Perth 73. It is perhaps the best performance despite (or because) of how wasted they all were.
August 25th, 2004 12:50 PM
moonlightmile

quote:
I wish the sound engineering tech wizards would clean up Perth 73. It is perhaps the best performance despite (or because) of how wasted they all were.

Amen!

Someone needs to do this, TSP was super but Perth 73 could be even more cleaned up!!
August 25th, 2004 02:07 PM
Joey
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
By far the best Stones boot, it's a shame that not was released oficially...

Agreed Soldatti .

Jacky !
August 25th, 2004 02:16 PM
steel driving hammer It's one of the greatest but slightly over-rated imo, just slightly.

Jersey Devil is up there w/ it.

Yes it is Ronnie.
August 25th, 2004 07:00 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
swapwoodfortaylor wrote:
OK I'll come out and admit that the only CD in my car for the last 3 years is 'Brussells Affair' and worse still I only play 1 track...2 Gimme Shelter!

man that's impressive - 'tho i wonder if you aren't a suitable case for treament - i also wonder what my psych. friend Dr.Filth would say but it strikes me as a great example of an obsessive compulsive disorder - and i should know - i often have a similiar problem - but THREE YEARS - ONE SONG

BLOODY HELL!!

HATS OFF!!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
August 25th, 2004 11:11 PM
midnightmagic Brussels- gives me chills
August 25th, 2004 11:42 PM
exile I have been a Stones fan since 1988
I have heard of it, but never actually heard "The Brussels Affair"

can I truly call myself a fan,now?
August 25th, 2004 11:58 PM
Scottfree
quote:
exile wrote:
I have been a Stones fan since 1988
I have heard of it, but never actually heard "The Brussels Affair"

can I truly call myself a fan,now?

fan1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fn)
n.
A device for creating a current of air or a breeze, especially:
A machine using an electric motor to rotate thin, rigid vanes in order to move air, as for cooling.

Sure go ahead, call yourself whatever you would like.....
August 26th, 2004 05:55 AM
egon Would anyone be willing to burn this magical album for me?

As I’m a bootleg virgin, all I can trade it for is a pack of gum and/or my eternal gratitude...

August 26th, 2004 07:32 AM
JaggaRichards if they ever did a legit release of Brussels '73, they'd probably screw it up with unnecessary overdubs.
I love it the way it is.
especially 'Gimme Shelter'.
August 26th, 2004 07:47 AM
Some Guy
quote:
egon wrote:
Would anyone be willing to burn this magical album for me?

As I’m a bootleg virgin, all I can trade it for is a pack of gum and/or my eternal gratitude...

me too, man.
August 26th, 2004 09:03 AM
exile
quote:
Scottfree wrote:

fan1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fn)
n.
A device for creating a current of air or a breeze, especially:
A machine using an electric motor to rotate thin, rigid vanes in order to move air, as for cooling.

Sure go ahead, call yourself whatever you would like.....

Hee hee thats a good one
August 26th, 2004 10:56 AM
Chuck Brussels '73 is great, but I prefer Leeds '71.
August 26th, 2004 01:39 PM
moonlightmile

Perth 73 - what an AWESOME show!

[Edited by moonlightmile]
August 26th, 2004 01:45 PM
kahoosier I know it is all a matter of personel taste, but my money will always be on Perth 73 over Brussles on any day. The verison of Bitch from that show has to be the ultimate example of Rock and Roll at its finest. Throughout the show Keith is on fire, Mick is wildly suberp, Charlie and Bill are a constant, and most importantly for me, MT is at his finest without any of the excess he demonstrates on later boots.
August 26th, 2004 01:54 PM
doo doo doo Dude Brussels is the shit. I'll hook you guys up, PM me.
August 26th, 2004 06:59 PM
stonedinaustralia can anyone get me sorted for perth '73??

August 27th, 2004 01:55 AM
Egbert
quote:
JaggaRichards wrote:
if they ever did a legit release of Brussels '73, they'd probably screw it up with unnecessary overdubs.
I love it the way it is.
especially 'Gimme Shelter'.

Amen. It don't get no better than this. Gimme Shelter cooks, and also check out the guitar interplay at the beginning of Rip This Joint - awesome!
August 27th, 2004 03:49 AM
beer
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
can anyone get me sorted for perth '73??

SIA, the VERY first Stones booot i ever got was a CD titled Wizards Of O.Z. (Sydney Feb 27, 1973)
You must get some of the boots that have escaped your land> Perth, Happy Birthday Nicky(is that the same one? it also has Dallas rehearsels if i remember right_)is great, also check out Melb '66, if ya can handle the crude raucous shit from the early days. i love it.

[Edited by beer]
August 27th, 2004 07:05 AM
F505 You can't always get is my favorite from BA. The sax solo in combination with Keith's rhythm guitar is probably the best on a stones record ever.
August 27th, 2004 07:31 AM
Mr Hess No doubt the best!
Anytime I burn a copy for someone, they go bonkers over it!
August 27th, 2004 07:48 AM
Gazza I think Keith has been quoted as saying that only once in his life did he perform stoned on acid.

The show in question was Perth '73.

If the "Just Say No" crowd heard that show, they'd collectively shit themselves.
Page: 1 2