ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA Spetember 5, 2002
By Brian Rasic with thanks to moy!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chicago United Center, yesterday ........ Return to archive
09-11-02 10:48 AM
Voja The Stones opened the show at 9:10. Here's the setlist:
1. Street Fighting Man
2. It's Only Rock and Roll
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. All Down the Line
6. Stray Cat Blues
7. Far Away Eyes
8. Shattered
9. When the Whip Comes Down
10. Tumblin' Dice
--- Introductions
11. The Worst (Keith)
12. Happy (Keith)
13. I Can't Turn You Loose
14. Miss You
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16. Honky Tonk Woman
17. Satisfaction
18. Mannish Boy (Center Stage)
19. You Got Me Rocking (Center Stage)
20. Brown Sugar (Center Stage)
21. Sympathy For the Devil (encore)
22. Jumping Jack Flash (encore)
End time 11:15
A little rain can't stop fans from rolling with the Stones
By Robert K. Elder
Chicago Tribune staff reporter
Published September 11, 2002

Marv and Bonnie Sutton were on hand Tuesday night to witness two acts of God at the United Center. The first was rain--the second was The Rolling Stones' 40th anniversary tour.

Surviving drug addictions, the death of a band member and four decades of ever-changing musical tastes, the superstar rockers opened the first of three shows in Chicago to a soldout crowd of 19,700.

Before the show, fans huddled along the building's portico, hoping to avoid wind and bursts of rain before the doors opened around 6 p.m.

The Stones' ambitious Licks World Tour offers concerts in various-size venues--each with different set lists--reaffirming the veteran rockers' belief that time is still on their side.

The Suttons plan to be there for each Chicago show, although they've yet to score tickets to the coveted "small venue" concert next Monday at the Aragon Ballroom.

Still, together with Tuesday night's show and Friday's Comiskey Park blowout, the couple have spent $1,400 ($350 a ticket)--although other fans bought tickets starting at $50.

Marv, 53, and Bonnie, 49, braved three hours of traffic from their home in Wadsworth before waiting for friends in grumpy weather.

Clad in a white Stones T-shirt from the 1995 Voodoo Lounge Tour's stop in Australia, Marv defended his lifelong obsession with the Midnight Ramblers.

"Expensive as these tickets are, they are the cheapest therapy around," said Marv, a school psychologist.

He's been a Stones fan longer than his 30-year marriage and has seen every tour since 1964. A Stones baseball cap barely conceals unruly gray hair, but not his decades-old enthusiasm.

"He gets charged up a week before the concert," said Bonnie. "He plays records and checks set lists on the Internet every night."

She added that their children, both University of Iowa students, are also fans and envious of their parents' attendance at the show.

However, mom Karen Mainieri, 46, and son Nick, 18, were coming to see the Glimmer Twins--Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, now both nearing 60--in an attempt to bridge their own generation gap. This would be Nick's first time seeing the group, and his rambunctious mother's first glimpse of them since 1977--when Jagger sang "Angie" ("right to me," she says) at Louisiana State University.

On their drive from South Bend, Ind., Nick flipped through his mom's CD collection and photo covers of Jagger, remarking, "Mom, what do you find attractive in this man?"

"There's just something about him," Karen replied, unembarrassed to admit to her son that she still found the thick-lipped frontman sexy at age 59. "He's The Man."

Unlike The Who, The Rolling Stones never made the mistake of turning the line "I hope I die before I get old" into a generational anthem.

"Passion," is Marv Sutton's one-word explanation for the Stones' longevity and artistic vigor. Marv hopes to see them in England, although he doesn't think he'll be able to make it this tour.

"Maybe for your retirement," his wife said.

"Hopefully they'll hang in there that long," he added.

It's only rock 'n' roll, but Chicago likes it
September 11, 2002
BY ANNIE SWEENEY STAFF REPORTER Chicago Sun Times
Who says you can't always get what you want?
More than 20,000 fans from all over the country got tickets to see the Rolling Stones on Tuesday night at the United Center, the first of three Chicago shows by the legendary rock 'n' roll band.
Chuck and Teresa Thompson came to West Madison Street from Atlanta, Ga.--their first visit to Chicago.
It's his 10th Stones concert and her ninth.
"I say they can't get better, but every time I see them, they are better," said Chuck Thompson, 47, as he waited in the drizzling rain a few hours before the show.
He first saw the Stones in 1978 in Atlanta when tickets were selling for $10.
Tickets for Tuesday's concert and a Sept. 13 show at Comiskey Park were a bit pricier, ranging from $50 to $350. And tickets to a Sept. 16 Stones show at the 4,500-seat Aragon Ballroom went for a flat $50 plus service charges but have been bid up to more than $800 on eBay, the Internet auction service.
"I wish they would lower their ticket prices," said Bryan Hughes, 43, of Chicago. But he added, "The only way they're going to come out is for the big money."
Musically, Hughes hoped the Stones would avoid newer music in favor of their old standards.
"Nobody comes to hear their new music," he said. "They should play all the old music--the hits."
But Kevin Matter, 20, of Lincoln Park said he likes the newer tunes, as well. He got to like the Stones through his mom. "They're really great in concert. They rock out all over the stage."
The cost of tickets was not an issue for Debbie Miller, 48, of Danville, who was waiting at the United Center to see if any last-minute seats would be released for the sold-out show.
"I spend a fortune on concerts now," Miller said. "I couldn't when I was younger."
She said she spent all her money on seeing such bands as the Who, ACDC, Aerosmith and Paul McCartney. Recently, she's also seen Pink and Lenny Kravitz.
But the Stones remain her favorite. "I told my husband if I'm ever in a coma and he plays the Rolling Stones and I don't wake up, then pull the plug."
09-11-02 01:00 PM
posada Thanks for posting this, Voja! I was there last night and really enjoyed reading this, thanks!
09-11-02 01:10 PM
jb The reviews are sparkling this tour..I hope more people buy tickets !!!