ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More Wembley legal problems Return to archive
6th September 2006 11:34 AM
Gazza The 2nd story pasted below seems to suggest that it will still be available for use next summer, in the event of a certain well-known beat combo playing a show there...

Legal woes could push Wembley opening back to 2010

Wembley worry: Court action could delay the stadium's opening even further
The opening of the troubled new Wembley Stadium could be pushed back even further, after Australian builders Muliplex began legal action against FA subsidiary Wembley National Stadium Ltd, which could last several years.

Muliplex has issued a £450 million claim to cover for loss of earnings and Lord Carter, the chairman of Sport England who acted as a trouble-shooter on the project four years ago, could now become involved again to try and help resolve the dispute.

Muliplex could now refuse to hand over the keys to stadium operators WNSL until the court action is complete, delaying the opening until 2010, according to reports in the Daily Telegraph.

Both Multiplex and WNSL have privately distanced themselves from the report. A source close to Multiplex said: "Legal action does look likely but there is nothing to stop that going on while the stadium is in use."

Multiplex signed a fixed-price contract to build Wembley but are claiming changes to the design means they are owed more money, and although no writ has been issued they have sent WNSL several letters of notification about the money they believe they are owed - and their losses on the project stand at more than £200million.

WNSL, meanwhile, have imposed penalty charges for late delivery of the stadium and are withholding money from Multiplex.

An adjudication panel has ruled on a number of issues already, some in favour of Multiplex and some in favour of WNSL, but their findings are likely to be challenged in court by both sides.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23365919-details/Legal+woes+could+push+Wembley+opening+back+to+2010/article.do / Daily Mail

------------------------------------------------------------
FA Cup Final will go ahead at Wembley despite court battle
By Times Online and PA

The FA Cup Final is still on course to be held at the new Wembley stadium next year despite a looming court battle between the stadium’s owners and Multiplex, the Australian construction firm.

Last month the builders cast doubt on any events being able to be held at the stadium until June next year, but a source close to Multiplex has said that the majority of the work is now complete.

Lord Carter, the chairman of Sport England, who acted as a trouble-shooter on the project four years ago, is expected to become involved again to try to resolve the dispute.

Both Multiplex and Wembley National Stadium Ltd (WNSL), the stadium operators, have privately distanced themselves from reports that the builders would not allow access to the stadium until any legal action was finished — a process that may take years.

A source close to Multiplex said: "Legal action does look likely but there is nothing to stop that going on while the stadium is in use."

The disputes between Multiplex and WNSL, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Football Association, are moving closer to court action.

Multiplex signed a fixed-price contract to build Wembley but are claiming changes to the design means they are owed more money. Although no writ has been issued they have sent WNSL several letters of notification about the money they believe they are owed.

Their losses on the project stand at more than £200million.

WNSL, meanwhile, have imposed penalty charges for late delivery of the stadium and are withholding money from Multiplex.

An adjudication panel has ruled on a number of issues already, some in favour of Multiplex and some in favour of WNSL, but their findings are likely to be challenged in court by both sides.

(The Times)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,29390-2345579,00.html

[Edited by Gazza]
6th September 2006 11:36 AM
Joey
That kinda sucks -- Not good for gross .

Here is some good news ( for gross ) :

" Now, before too long, the sounds of music and other events will return. Aside from a few finishing touches, construction is complete.

Arena officials will celebrate with a public open house Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The $6 million expansion project began May 8. The work includes a new scoreboard and the addition of approximately 1,500 new seats, plus more concession areas and restrooms at the north end of the arena, said Dana Dyksterhuis, an arena spokeswoman.

The first event in the arena after it reopens will be a Sept. 24 volleyball match between the University of Nebraska and Creighton University. The first concert will be a Sept. 28 Diamond Rio concert as part of River City Roundup.

Funds from the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority's annual budget paid for the project, Dyksterhuis said. The MECA board oversees the facility, which opened in fall 2003.

The expansion increases the arena's capacity from 17,000 to 18,300 for concerts, from 15,500 to 17,560 for basketball games and from 14,700 to 16,680 for hockey games.

"It's an exciting new chapter to the story here at Qwest Center Omaha," Dyksterhuis said. "This increases our opportunities at winning some big-name events, including sporting events."

Arena officials have said the additional seats will make Omaha more competitive for concerts and sporting events in the face of new arenas in Des Moines and Kansas City.

The 2006-07 season features several sporting events, including the NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship and an NBA exhibition game between the Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons.

Live-music events include the Barenaked Ladies, Rascal Flatts, Journey, Def Leppard, Cirque du Soleil: Delirium, James Blunt, Blue Man Group, the Cheetah Girls, the Dixie Chicks and the Who. More concert announcements are expected this season.

In coming years, the venue will host the 2008 USA Olympic Swim Trials, the 2008 Division I Women's Volleyball Championship, the 2008 First and Second Round Men's Basketball Tournament and the 2010 NCAA Wrestling Championships.

In addition to the arena, visitors Sunday will be able to explore luxury suites, the club lounge, and locker rooms used by teams from Creighton and the University of Nebraska at Omaha."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2236908

[Edited by Joey]
6th September 2006 01:57 PM
jb Disappointing that the Stones will not be able to open up the new Wembley as this was what we were all hoping for.
6th September 2006 02:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Disappointing that the Stones will not be able to open up the new Wembley as this was what we were all hoping for.

agreed....but London will be able to get their first choice (See: Bon Jovi). I suspect the Stones were about 10th on the list behind 1-9 (see: Bon Jovi - The Wiggles)
6th September 2006 02:42 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

agreed....but London will be able to get their first choice (See: Bon Jovi). I suspect the Stones were about 10th on the list behind 1-9 (see: Bon Jovi - The Wiggles)

Robbie William,James Blunt, Oasis, Madonnam Blur, Little Sergio, and yes, Bon Jovi, are all much bigger than the Stones and would have been offered the honor
6th September 2006 02:57 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Bon Jovi sickens me to no end
6th September 2006 03:00 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Robbie William,James Blunt, Oasis, Madonnam Blur, Little Sergio, and yes, Bon Jovi, are all much bigger than the Stones and would have been offered the honor

Also: INXS, New Guns and Roses, and SuperNova are far more popular. I fear to think that even Hasselhoff could bring his German "Hoff Meisters" over and fill the stadium (see: Baywatch Nights)
7th September 2006 07:28 AM
corgi37 That'll teach you fucking Poms to employ Australian companies.

Now, the best thing is, Westfield (An Aussie company) owns the most malls & shopping centres in America.

Oh, the fun we can have with that!!
7th September 2006 10:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
That'll teach you fucking Poms to employ Australian companies.

LOL...yes... "convict labour" rarely works out!
7th September 2006 10:43 AM
jb Many are predicting a 40 venue tour in Euro 2007..I saw on another board some concern over London!!!
7th September 2006 11:03 AM
Gazza I dont expect too many outdoor shows in the UK next year as we had five this year and none needed to be rescheduled.

I dont think there will be many additional outdoor shows apart from those that needed to be rescheduled from 2006 - my guess is maybe a dozen or so rescheduled shows plus a few extra stadiums in major markets. There is absolutely no question of the Stones missing London or the UK on what will probably be their final tour. My info is that they actually want to FINISH the tour at Wembley - problem with that intention being that Stones tours never finish on the originally scheduled dates as shows get cancelled, postponed, rescheduled and added.

I would expect maybe 20 stadium shows and maybe 10-15 indoor shows in a tour running from June to August. I dont think they'll play 40 outdoor shows as some have suggested. I dont think the demand is there and logistically it once again leaves no room for rescheduling if shows get postponed.
7th September 2006 11:07 AM
jb It is my belief that after next summer , they are done completely. I do not see them ever touring again or even playing together ever again...they have milked the cow dryer than Phyllis Diller's pussy, and nothing they can do will bring the audience back-they will not even tour small venues or have extended stays....the Stones(Mick and Cohl)know this is it, and I also think the only reason Charlie agreed to 07, was that this is it. They will never play togeter in any capacity after next summer-and this is a good thing.
I also think that the stages,atleast since No Security, have sucked...I like the higher ticket prices, but atleast give us a spectacular stage as they did from,89-97. The indoor stages are very dull, and the stadium stage is really a big video-screen, and nothing much more.
[Edited by jb]
7th September 2006 11:17 AM
Gazza I am 95% convinced they'll never do an extended tour again after next summer

However, I dont think they'll ever disband as long as they are all alive.

If both of the above are correct, what happens after next year therefore wil require a total about-face in the way the band have operated over the last few decades as the Stones dont get together just to play one-off gigs or brief tours - its always as part of a lengthy period of touring on a huge scale.
7th September 2006 11:20 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I am 95% convinced they'll never do an extended tour again after next summer

However, I dont think they'll ever disband as long as they are all alive.

If both of the above are correct, what happens after next year therefore wil require a total about-face in the way the band have operated over the last few decades as the Stones dont get together just to play one-off gigs or brief tours - its always as part of a lengthy period of touring on a huge scale.

I just don't see them ever "lowering" themselves and playing smaller venues for less money. Their appeal as a mainstream act has worn thin, and the lack of even one hit single in over 25 yrs is clearly inexcusable.....
7th September 2006 11:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

I just don't see them ever "lowering" themselves and playing smaller venues for less money.

Me neither. Thats the problem. However, I CAN unfortunately see them playing private and corporate gigs for the sort of money they can make for a few stadium shows and with a fraction of the expenses.
7th September 2006 11:49 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Me neither. Thats the problem. However, I CAN unfortunately see them playing private and corporate gigs for the sort of money they can make for a few stadium shows and with a fraction of the expenses.

Possible..and release more crap.
8th September 2006 06:50 AM
corgi37 I totally agree about the stages. The arena one is nothing short of pathetic, really. Of course, i didnt see a stadium show in 03, but the stadium stage looked utterly boring and uninspired.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)