ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sympathy For The Devil Post 69' Tour Return to archive
6th September 2006 07:31 AM
RollingstonesUSA Post 69' tour which verison of this song do you like....

Steel Wheels-89', Keith's solo, amazing
6th September 2006 07:37 AM
Nellcote Funny you should bring this up.
I was watching a pre-season NFL game two weeks ago.
It was a Patriots game, so, it was all Patriots/Gillette Stadium propaganda.
Randy Cross, the annoucer, when discussing the Stones, had a trivia question which the answer was SFTD.
He went on to say, "You know Don, after that incident at Alatamont, the Stones did not play that song for DECADES!"
What a putz.
Give me any show from '81
6th September 2006 07:42 AM
marko 1975
6th September 2006 08:19 AM
Throwaway
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Funny you should bring this up.
I was watching a pre-season NFL game two weeks ago.
It was a Patriots game, so, it was all Patriots/Gillette Stadium propaganda.
Randy Cross, the annoucer, when discussing the Stones, had a trivia question which the answer was SFTD.
He went on to say, "You know Don, after that incident at Alatamont, the Stones did not play that song for DECADES!"
What a putz.
Give me any show from '81

Funny what non-fans believe, who probably never have even seen Gimme Shelter.
81? You mean 89? I dont think they played Sympathy in 81/82.
6th September 2006 08:24 AM
Nellcote 14 September 1981
Sir Morgan's Cove
Woostah, MA
6th September 2006 08:36 AM
Throwaway
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
14 September 1981
Sir Morgan's Cove
Woostah, MA

Just when I thought I knew it all...
Too bad no boot exists of the track/show, tour warmups/openers are always great!

[Edited by Throwaway]
6th September 2006 08:37 AM
Nellcote Agreed, I'm not certain
6th September 2006 09:23 AM
Nasty Habits I agree with Marko - 1975 is the post-'69 Sympathy action. That version from the LA Forum on the 13th is just jaw droppingly good.

I like the guitar playing in 1989 but not the surrounding arrangement - too rigid and not enough chance for Charlie to get crazy with the rhythms.

And since then I haven't had much use for it live -- Keith's solo has gotten entirely too vague and directionless.

IMHO
6th September 2006 09:50 AM
star star just checked out the 89 version- is it me or is keiths solo just random disjointed fills masquerading as a solo? i have to admit though imo, he does have a nice tone, and it doesnt sound at all like the heavy on the double stops chuck berry-esque soloing of 2002 and 2006...
6th September 2006 10:26 AM
Throwaway On some versions (see Atlantic City 89), you are right, the solo is all over the place in a bad way. However, on most versions (see Tokyo 2/90), the solo kicks ass.
6th September 2006 11:38 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

And since then I haven't had much use for it live -- Keith's solo has gotten entirely too vague and directionless.

IMHO

You could pretty much say that about Keith's soloing in general!
6th September 2006 12:41 PM
nankerphelge Personally, I liked the arrangement this past tour -- even though Keith can't do anything with the solo anymore.

1989 was way too 80s bouncy dancy almost disco sounding. Listen to it on Flashpoint and you almost need to put on a shiny rayon shirt.

I still think they should open a show with it.

6th September 2006 12:49 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Personally, I liked the arrangement this past tour -- even though Keith can't do anything with the solo anymore.

1989 was way too 80s bouncy dancy almost disco sounding. Listen to it on Flashpoint and you almost need to put on a shiny rayon shirt.

I still think they should open a show with it.

My least favorite arrangement may have been the '99 encore, with the horn section. Because they *have* to use horns during the encore, ya know.
6th September 2006 12:58 PM
aladdinstory in '89 at my first stones show on my b'day seventeen years ago today! in pittsburgh seeing the 2000 Light Years From Home psychedelia seguing into SFTD, with Mick appearing out of nowhere way up high on the girders of the SW stage set, with the flames and spectacle...amazing at the time and still my favorite version live i've seen of SFTD
6th September 2006 01:46 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

My least favorite arrangement may have been the '99 encore, with the horn section. Because they *have* to use horns during the encore, ya know.

I agree. I actually walked out in the middle of this when I saw them in Charlotte in '99. The only time I have ever left a Stones show early.

6th September 2006 01:51 PM
jb 1969 was better..anything in the Taylor era was better .
6th September 2006 02:00 PM
Gimme Shelter I remember during the '89 tour they omitted the Kennedy verse in SFTD.
6th September 2006 02:14 PM
jb
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I remember during the '89 tour they omitted the Kennedy verse in SFTD.

Just one of many embarrassing things they have done over the years(see also SOL, 4 new songs of 40 Licks, ABB, "How can I stop", Justin, edit on RO on Live Licks ,Ronnie, Keith, Chuck,
ticket sales, etc).
6th September 2006 02:25 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Just one of many embarrassing things they have done over the years(see also SOL, 4 new songs of 40 Licks, ABB, "How can I stop", Justin, edit on RO on Live Licks ,Ronnie, Keith, Chuck,
ticket sales, etc).

Special mention to "The Salt Lake Incident"
6th September 2006 02:25 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Special mention to "The Salt Lake Incident"

Superbowl........
6th September 2006 02:28 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Superbowl........

Hiding backup band to cover them under the stage.....this is their "Rock Star INXS" Moment.

Also, allowing Ronnie to humiliate the band on Rough Justice and Start Me Up....when they should have played the three simplest songs in their catalog: JJF, IORR, and YGMR.
6th September 2006 02:30 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Hiding backup band to cover them under the stage.....this is their "Rock Star INXS" Moment.

Also, allowing Ronnie to humiliate the band on Rough Justice and Start Me Up....when they should have played the three simplest songs in their catalog: JJF, IORR, and YGMR.

Chuck compolaining about his stage position in diary,
6th September 2006 02:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Chuck compolaining about his stage position in diary,

If not for Chuck, we would not have Sway or As Tears Go By in the set lists, or any variety at all, Chuck should be given first choice of stage position, and Ronnie can then have his amp placed far out of the way to eliminate any disruptions to Chuck, as he is the musical director!
6th September 2006 03:34 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

If not for Chuck, we would not have Sway or As Tears Go By in the set lists, or any variety at all, Chuck should be given first choice of stage position, and Ronnie can then have his amp placed far out of the way to eliminate any disruptions to Chuck, as he is the musical director!

I'd love to have Ronnie's amp placed far out of the way, too -- like, in the next zip code.
6th September 2006 04:28 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I remember during the '89 tour they omitted the Kennedy verse in SFTD.

They're omitting it this tour too, I believe.
6th September 2006 07:05 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

They're omitting it this tour too, I believe.

The've been omiting it for a long time.
PC Stones.........

BTW, I like the '89 version
6th September 2006 09:55 PM
Soldatti Every version post 1989 is worse than the previous one, with counted exceptions. I like some versions of the B2B tour.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)