ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
Đ Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 100 Years Ago Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
6th September 2006 03:24 AM
aladdinstory i'm not saying it's their best, my favorite or even a classic but i've always really loved this song (the few live versions i've heard are killer as well), and at different times in my life the song has meant a great deal to me,the whole feel of it, particularly the "it's sometimes wise not grow up" line. i just wanted to provide a place for others to share their thoughts on it. GHS may not be the greatest stones album, but 100YA, Winter and CDA are among the most beautifully fragile Stones songs each full of depth, vulnerability and an uncertain longingness of better times, youths fleeting smile.
6th September 2006 03:59 AM
FotiniD I absolutely love "100 Years Ago". And that line ("don't you think it's sometimes wise to grow up") is one of my MOST favorites in Stones lyrics (hence its place in my signature ).

I think it's a very poignant song at that time of the Stones history, I see it as a reference to their age of innocense, Marianne and the sixties and all.
6th September 2006 06:47 AM
RollingstonesUSA Recording Dates: November 25 - December 21, 1972; Final mix; June 1973. Released on Goat's Head Soup in 1973.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Mick Taylor Electric Guitars: Mick Taylor Drums: Charlie Watts Bass: Bill Wyman Piano: Nicky Hopkins Clavinet: Billy Preston

100 YEARS AGO
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Went out walkin' through the wood the other day
And the world was a carpet laid before me
The buds were bursting and the air smelled sweet and strange
And it seemed about a hundred years ago

Mary and I, we would sit upon a gate
Just gazin' at some dragon in the sky
What tender days, we had no secrets hid away
Well, it seemed about a hundred years ago

Now all my friends are wearing worried smiles
Living out a dream of what they was
Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

Went out walkin' through the wood the other day
Can't you see the furrows in my forehead?
What tender days, we had no secrets hid away
Now it seems about a hundred years ago

Now if you see me drinkin' bad red wine
Don't worry 'bout this man that you love
Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up?

You're gonna kiss and say good-bye, yeah, I warn you
You're gonna kiss and say good-bye, yeah, I warn you
You're gonna kiss and say good-bye, oh Lord, I warn you
And please excuse me while I hide away

Call me lazy bones
Ain't got no time to waste away
Lazy bones ain't got no time to waste away
Don't you think it's just about time to hide away? Yeah, yeah!
6th September 2006 07:12 AM
FotiniD
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
Recording Dates: November 25 - December 21, 1972; Final mix; June 1973. Released on Goat's Head Soup in 1973.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Mick Taylor Electric Guitars: Mick Taylor Drums: Charlie Watts Bass: Bill Wyman Piano: Nicky Hopkins Clavinet: Billy Preston

So! The song might be a Sagittarius but there's no Keith in it!
6th September 2006 10:34 AM
Some Guy Cool song, cool album!
6th September 2006 10:39 AM
Lazy Bones Great song, indeed. Certainly influenced my existence at RO.
6th September 2006 10:39 AM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Cool song, cool album!

Agreed 100%!

6th September 2006 12:58 PM
jaymze yeah have always loved that track too. love the guitar solo by Mr Taylor and the lyrics. its a forgotten gem for sure.

wasn't even aware that they have played it live in the past. any ideas what eras, Licks tour???
6th September 2006 01:00 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
jaymze wrote:
yeah have always loved that track too. love the guitar solo by Mr Taylor and the lyrics. its a forgotten gem for sure.

wasn't even aware that they have played it live in the past. any ideas what eras, Licks tour???

they played it a few times in the early part of the '73 european tour i believe
6th September 2006 01:07 PM
Saint Sway the mid song jam is one of their best!!! But the final minute of this track is one of the absolute greatest runs in Stones history. Mick Taylor's funky wah-wah and blistering lead thats being whipped by Charlie's furioius beats like a jockey riding a thoroughbred to a photo finish. Just insane. I never want the song to end!!
6th September 2006 01:09 PM
Scottfree It's incredible, but should have a more extended guitar...
6th September 2006 01:16 PM
ebmp 100 years agor is awesome, and GHS is extremely underrated

Winter, 100 Years Ago, Silver Train, Star Star, Heartbreaker.. Hell all the songs are great. In fact I only dislike Dancing w/ Mr D and Hide Your Love
6th September 2006 02:26 PM
jb Another Taylor era classic.
6th September 2006 02:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Another Taylor era classic.

Mick has nixed playing this one live, although Chuck is pushing hard for it....it would give him a Lisa/Gimme Shelter moment for sure!
6th September 2006 02:35 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Mick has nixed playing this one live, although Chuck is pushing hard for it....it would give him a Lisa/Gimme Shelter moment for sure!

I don't see the Lisa moment in this one...your analysis if off
6th September 2006 02:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

I don't see the Lisa moment in this one...your analysis if off

you must look beneath the surface. Lisa has a featured solo in the middle of Gimme Shelter, Chuck would have a similar solo after the "break" (the "Call me Lazy Bones" part) and could really swing his head/beard. This would make up for his disrespectful stage positioning on tongue stage at Super Bowl.
6th September 2006 02:40 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

you must look beneath the surface. Lisa has a featured solo in the middle of Gimme Shelter, Chuck would have a similar solo after the "break" (the "Call me Lazy Bones" part) and could really swing his head/beard. This would make up for his disrespectful stage positioning on tongue stage at Super Bowl.

Not a place on this song like GS or MM...again, reconsider your faulty analysis.
6th September 2006 02:43 PM
Bruno GHS was the first "real" record I bought (the first was Hot Rocks) back when I was 13 and I couldnīt be more hooked. I love the whole album and think it is their most underrated one. It has a much better sound than IORR, imo.

100 Years Ago makes me wonder what we could have if the two Micks had written and recorded more songs together. Sway has no Keith and so has 100 Years.

There is nothing in this song that could be left out of the record. Vocals, the excelent work by Nicky and Billy, the amazing guitar. But I think the one who shines the most there is Mr. Watts. His playing is perfect and he is a animal in the end. Put Mick screaming "IIIIIIII Waaaaaaarn you, I waaaaaaaarn you baby", Taylor playing like the God he was and Charlie doing what he does together and you have the proof that the Rolling Stones were/are the greatest rock n roll band.

[Edited by Bruno]
6th September 2006 02:45 PM
jb Keith was very jealous of MT and forced his removal imo.
6th September 2006 02:48 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Not a place on this song like GS or MM...again, reconsider your faulty analysis.

Sadly, you have put too much "Jew Fro Juice" in your hair today, and have sacrificed some brain cells. You have forgotten all parts of the song other than Little Mick's brilliant work. Nicky plays great piano on this track, but of particular note is Billy Preston playing the Clavinet. While I understand Billy has passed on, you must remember he is gone but not forgotten!
6th September 2006 02:49 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, you have put too much "Jew Fro Juice" in your hair today, and have sacrificed some brain cells. You have forgotten all parts of the song other than Little Mick's brilliant work. Nicky plays great piano on this track, but of particular note is Billy Preston playing the Clavinet. While I understand Billy has passed on, you must remember he is gone but not forgotten!

This is not a song which Lisa Fisher would be featured on. Again, I ask you to withdraw your faulty analysis and stop embarrassing yourself.
6th September 2006 02:52 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

This is not a song which Lisa Fisher would be featured on. Again, I ask you to withdraw your faulty analysis and stop embarrassing yourself.

your reading skills have been dimished....re read my original statement. this song would give CHUCK a featured spot similar to LISA on GS or MM......not a feature for Lisa.....perhaps you have been taking Monster's pills for recreation?
6th September 2006 02:56 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

your reading skills have been dimished....re read my original statement. this song would give CHUCK a featured spot similar to LISA on GS or MM......not a feature for Lisa.....perhaps you have been taking Monster's pills for recreation?

The analysis is flawed and should be retracted.
6th September 2006 02:58 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

The analysis is flawed and should be retracted.

With the "how to greet" thread being the most successful here recently.....we are forced to generate discussion anyway possible. Not even your attack on my Wildwood Attendance is working these days......we are becoming Dwight and Michael (see: The Office)
6th September 2006 03:00 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

With the "how to greet" thread being the most successful here recently.....we are forced to generate discussion anyway possible. Not even your attack on my Wildwood Attendance is working these days......we are becoming Dwight and Michael (see: The Office)

People do not view us as a team. I am generally well received and the 22k posts are a testament to my longevity. People have PM'ed me that they don't mind one "JB" or "Mr. L"(see Shidoobee), but they are very angry at what they view are imposters.
6th September 2006 03:03 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

People do not view us as a team. I am generally well received and the 22k posts are a testament to my longevity. People have PM'ed me that they don't mind one "JB" or "Mr. L"(see Shidoobee), but they are very angry at what they view are imposters.

In the process of establishing my reputation, I have generated many "haters" although, surprisingly, there were no direct threats to my physical health while in Wildwood! Although someone thought my wife was actually my daughter, either she looks young and beautiful (This is my opinion) or I have not aged well (see: Joey's accusations towards The Maxlugar)
6th September 2006 03:03 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

interesting idea, but chuck just ain't got that funk! he'd jazz that ole clavinet, jazz it all up plus be careful what you wish for, because if chuck is achin' for a solo spot he might try to talk mick into reviving back to zero:

"come on mick, it's funky, we do need to do more 80s material, plus I could SOLO...whattya say? I was right about Sway wans't I???"
6th September 2006 03:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:

interesting idea, but chuck just ain't got that funk! he'd jazz that ole clavinet, jazz it all up plus be careful what you wish for, because if chuck is achin' for a solo spot he might try to talk mick into reviving back to zero:

"come on mick, it's funky, we do need to do more 80s material, plus I could SOLO...whattya say? I was right about Sway wans't I???"

I beleive Chuck is a very good piano/organ player....much better than Matt Clifford. Sadly, most die hard fans will hate him for two reasons: 1. He is not Ian Stewart, and 2. He is actually "in charge" on stage.

I would actually rather hear Back to Zero live than IORR, YGMR, TD, and a few others! Chuck is the only reason that we have not seen the exact same setlist for the last 10 years or so.......we should all remember that!
6th September 2006 03:14 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

In the process of establishing my reputation, I have generated many "haters" although, surprisingly, there were no direct threats to my physical health while in Wildwood! Although someone thought my wife was actually my daughter, either she looks young and beautiful (This is my opinion) or I have not aged well (see: Joey's accusations towards The Maxlugar)

Embarrassing.
6th September 2006 03:24 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Embarrassing.

my wife was extremely complimented. Ask Mrs. jb how embarrassed she would be if someone thought she was your daughter.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)