ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Steve Irwin "Crocodile Hunter" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
4th September 2006 01:19 AM
MidnightRambler Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

3 minutes ago

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.
ADVERTISEMENT

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.
4th September 2006 01:37 AM
glencar Crikey!
4th September 2006 01:38 AM
aladdinstory [quote]MidnightRambler wrote:
A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.
[quote]

"Crikey!"
4th September 2006 01:45 AM
ShaneJazz It's a real shame. He took a lot of flack in the media at times, but he always seemed to make me smile, and there's something to be said for that. RIP.
4th September 2006 02:33 AM
sirmoonie He was Australian, presumptively white.

I liked him, my kids loved him. Regrets to his family, this is awfully sad.
4th September 2006 02:48 AM
UGot2Rollme It is sad, but the guy took alot of risks, didn't he? Hopefully those risks won't be repeated by less professional copycats, especially in light of his death.
4th September 2006 03:12 AM
Poplar
sad news. he's a legend.
4th September 2006 03:48 AM
aladdinstory first Paul Lynde, and now this...when will the madness end!!!
4th September 2006 03:56 AM
danielharris627 Yeahh. I saw it in my friends msn name I was like huh?! Steve Irwin as in Crocodile hunter, clicked on the internet and saw it on my homepage!

RIP to such a cool guy! Cant believe it.
4th September 2006 04:08 AM
Jakeb206 Horrible! He was such a great enviromentalist! He will be missed
4th September 2006 04:37 AM
Gazza Sad news. Seems he was a fine guy as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5311298.stm
4th September 2006 05:12 AM
RollingstonesUSA R.I.P. He was an awesome dude....
4th September 2006 07:03 AM
Flairville Terrible news. He's a legend amongst me and my friends, a fearless and funny guy.
4th September 2006 07:08 AM
luxury1 yeah, this is truly sad, however, if they have footage of the stingray attack, I bet Steve would want it to air as part of his legacy. He was a pleasure to watch because of his sheer, unbridled enthusiasm for his work. He truly got off on it--a rare and special breed. Sad time for his wife and child.
[Edited by luxury1]
4th September 2006 07:23 AM
Nellcote The guy was entertaining....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6HgHhHNC92M
4th September 2006 07:51 AM
not bound to please
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
yeah, this is truly sad, however, if they have footage of the stingray attack, I bet Steve would want it to air as part of his legacy. He was a pleasure to watch because of his sheer, unbridled enthusiasm for his work. He truly got off on it--a rare and special breed. Sad time for his wife and child.
[Edited by luxury1]

I don't know about that. I read that he was shooting a documentary for his 8 year old daughter. This is just horrible.

4th September 2006 07:57 AM
Scot Rocks awful news, guy was a legend, never forget the one where he let a cobra spit venom at him, only protecting his eyes with a pair of "sunnies". To think that only 2 people have ever died from a stingray in Australia.

RIP Steve
4th September 2006 08:14 AM
corgi37 Personally, i couldnt stand him. I thought he sent Australia back about 30 years. No one here has talked the way he did for about 50 years! I just cant believe how popular he is o/s. I mean, he truly was more popular in America than here. We sort of got sick of him and his constant "full on" approach. He literally NEVER took off his khaki gear, even getting an honour at Parliament House. You know, people kinda cringed.

Things changed a bit when he was feeding that croc with his baby in his arms. "THEY" turned on him, except the public. They didnt like the white shirted journos and commentators in their air conditioned offices bagging him, so the public stuck up for him. His wildlife zoo became more popular than ever!

But, his carrying on was real. He WAS like that. I took the kids to his zoo a couple of years ago. I swear, he was simply mobbed by everyone. The bloke couldnt walk 10 feet. But, he signed every bit of paper shoved in front of him, and lectured kids of all ages (this wasnt part of the show i might add) on how important it was to respect creatures and look after the planet. He was amazing with kids. He just had that unbridled look in his eye. He was like a kid himself.

I ended up kinda liking him after that.

He's worth squillions, but he still took all that time, in bloody blazing hot sun too, to make sure every one got a pic with him or an autograph.

He still made me cringe when i'd see him on Leno, but i kind of laughed with him, not at him. I loved the way he talked so bloody fast and so "ocker", and Leno would be like "Whoa, whoa, what the hell did you just say?" it was like "Speak English!"

This place really is in shock. He kinda pushed it, but still, what a way to go. Everyone here was kind of thinking he'd be crocodile shit, or snake bit. What a horrible way to croak it.

I now feel he was a great embassador for us. Certainly got Australia alot of attention. I really do feel sad. We dont like pushing our "heroes" up. They get too uppity, we fucking tear 'em down quick smart. But not him.

He was a genuine bloke. He was fair dinkum. he will be sadly missed.
4th September 2006 09:05 AM
Voodoo Scrounge There were only two Aussies I could ever bare to watch on the TV.

1) Les Patterson

2) Steve Irwin

RIP Mate
4th September 2006 10:14 AM
Gazza Thats "Sir" Les Patterson, if you please! Show some respect!
[Edited by Gazza]
4th September 2006 10:25 AM
Jumping Jack Natural selection in action.

At least he won't be putting his kids in with alligators any more.

4th September 2006 10:37 AM
Scottfree When Blue turns to Grey..... RIP Croc Hunter....
4th September 2006 12:11 PM
RollingstonesUSA

4th September 2006 12:30 PM
Gimme Shelter RIP Steve
4th September 2006 12:36 PM
Kilroy I never turned him off when he was on. He had a great respect for wildlife.
Rest in Peace.
4th September 2006 12:43 PM
mrhipfl poor kids and wife. only 8 and 3 years old. RIP man
4th September 2006 01:01 PM
WhenTheWhipComesDown I loved Steve Irwin. Could not believe he was dead. That is horrible, he will
really be missed very, very much. But he died doing the thing he loved so
much. Race car drivers die doing what they love too and so do many others.
I wonder how he got stung in the chest by a stingray? Wonder what the
real circumstances were that brought on this terrible, awful tragedy.

RIP Steve Irwin, we all miss you so very much.
4th September 2006 01:02 PM
kath he was doing what he loved, not everbody gets to do that.

but i am so sorry for his family.

what a shame.
4th September 2006 01:13 PM
Martha I was waiting for this to happen to this dude. He took so many risks...I thought it was only a matter of time before he was eaten by a crock.

Sorry to hear the news. I wish him no ill will and I really feel for his family....

he went to the "shoe store" one too many times.

RIP
4th September 2006 02:20 PM
MrPleasant Don't toy with Mother Nature. Ever seen Herzog's Grizzly Man? Don't people ever learn? Why are people so fucking dumb? And dogs are bad for you; they are stupid and can't do a damn thing, except for blind people.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)