ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SWAY - from Glasgow on RS.com Return to archive
3rd September 2006 06:56 AM
stewed & Keefed Is now up.
3rd September 2006 09:45 AM
cabledogg2 I don't have a membership to R.S.com could anyone post a link to the sway video or have a extra membership code?
3rd September 2006 10:10 AM
chevysales nice but when the camera panned to lisa for a quick leg shot i thought they looked like an offensive linemens legs... huge... on another note ronnie sounded good.
3rd September 2006 10:30 AM
lotsajizz Woodie sounded good....so did Charlie, the Glimmer Twins did not. Keith was not on the riff tight enough and the song glided in places where it should be more stop-start. And Mick....well, this song was not originally done with him merely 'singing', but frankly screaming it out--belting it from his vocal limits. He just can't shred his voice like that consistently now, at least not that early in a show. Solution; more rehearsals and playings, later slot in the setlist---which should be determined by quality, not chart popularity....

a guy can dream, can't he?
[Edited by lotsajizz]
3rd September 2006 12:45 PM
Gimme Shelter Awesome, Woody did sound incredible.
3rd September 2006 01:03 PM
glencar Very nice. I like howe Mick "sways" along whilst singing...
3rd September 2006 01:10 PM
UGot2Rollme very nice Woody, especially closing solo
3rd September 2006 03:29 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Woodie sounded good....so did Charlie, the Glimmer Twins did not. Keith was not on the riff tight enough and the song glided in places where it should be more stop-start. And Mick....well, this song was not originally done with him merely 'singing', but frankly screaming it out--belting it from his vocal limits. He just can't shred his voice like that consistently now, at least not that early in a show. Solution; more rehearsals and playings, later slot in the setlist---which should be determined by quality, not chart popularity....

a guy can dream, can't he?
[Edited by lotsajizz]

mick should play rhythm guitar on this live like he did on the studio version
3rd September 2006 04:00 PM
lotsajizz excellent point!
3rd September 2006 07:04 PM
Soldatti Great version, Woddy's good tonight isn't it?
4th September 2006 12:02 PM
luxury1 lostajizz--you make much sense. I am kinda wondering why they choose to play this one live, as I feel it was originally a Mick Taylor showcase piece--and yes, with Mick on bleeding vocals...However, having said that--I always enjoy it live ( although, holding my breath during the guitar solos, and feeling like Mick is just not all that comfortable with the song), this recent clip up on RS.com is the best version I have heard thus far on the tour.
4th September 2006 01:11 PM
aladdinstory there's just an energy of desperation in the studio version that the stones couldn't pull off today, they wouldn't know where to start.

it's not a criticism of the current performance or band, just the simple fact that those lyrics aren't something mick can relate to anymore: the death of Brian, the collapse of his relationship with Marianne, the tragedy of Altamont, not to mention the band's situation at the time all distilled into five minutes of howling pain, the helplessness finally brought to cathartic release by the soaring majesty of Taylor's stinging solos.

it's a reflection into a mirror Jagger can't look into anymore evinced by how the focal point of the song has gone from "it's just that demon life got me in it's sway" even repeating over and over till the fade to now how he now emphasizes the "love is the way to find out" line and closes by repeating it instead. it's just a different song by a different band, i stil enjoy hearing it though, and hope they play it in austin next month.

7th September 2006 02:30 AM
MikeyC613 Woody is the best I've ever heard in a long time.
7th September 2006 04:52 AM
FotiniD
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
there's just an energy of desperation in the studio version that the stones couldn't pull off today, they wouldn't know where to start.

it's not a criticism of the current performance or band, just the simple fact that those lyrics aren't something mick can relate to anymore: the death of Brian, the collapse of his relationship with Marianne, the tragedy of Altamont, not to mention the band's situation at the time all distilled into five minutes of howling pain, the helplessness finally brought to cathartic release by the soaring majesty of Taylor's stinging solos.

it's a reflection into a mirror Jagger can't look into anymore evinced by how the focal point of the song has gone from "it's just that demon life got me in it's sway" even repeating over and over till the fade to now how he now emphasizes the "love is the way to find out" line and closes by repeating it instead. it's just a different song by a different band, i stil enjoy hearing it though, and hope they play it in austin next month.

You raise some interesting points there aladdinstory. I think Mick could sing 100% better if he would only take the time and relate a little more to the songs - actually feel them while singing them. I don't think it has anything to do with his abilities - cause he's still got what it takes. It's the feeling. It's what Keith says about him playing the harp and how he should sing like he plays that. The songs sound professional, alright, but I miss those raunchy, heartfelt versions. Less professionalism might work out fine, if you ask me.

Woody is superb alright. He's a hell of a guitarist when he focuses, despite the fact many people seem to think otherwise I don't miss anything from Mick Taylor, to be honest.
7th September 2006 06:26 AM
Zeeta The version they played definitely has a reggae vibe to it for me.

Listening to the original you would have never thought it could have bee turned into a loose, off beat reggae song!?!
But there you go...

Some good points in this thread.
7th September 2006 12:49 PM
jb a travesty like Moonlight Mile on NS..a really lame version.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)