ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
© Special thanks to Moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BOB DYLAN - Modern Times Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
1st September 2006 08:41 AM
Gazza Yes. I'll be having my 3rd of the day in just over an hour

How about THAT for a link!
1st September 2006 08:51 AM
Nasty Habits Under that apple suckling tree oh yeah!
Under that apple suckling tree oh yeah!
Underneath that tree there's just gonna be you and me
under that apple suckling tree oh yeah!
1st September 2006 09:02 AM
PartyDoll MEG Let's listen to this again........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...840669393845579
1st September 2006 10:32 AM
Jair
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Bobby says :

"Fuck you, Jair, will ya?"

LOL, now you killed me, Gazza! LOL!!!!!
1st September 2006 11:20 AM
Jumacfly I ve readen somewhere this thread needs to reach 500 posts ....
here I am!!
1st September 2006 11:29 AM
PartyDoll MEG Hi Ju!!! Do you like Dylan?

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
1st September 2006 11:33 AM
PartyDoll MEG We've been eating lots of fruit while listening to Modern Times......

1st September 2006 11:35 AM
Saint Sway In honor of JB, I will not post on Labor Day
1st September 2006 11:54 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Hi Ju!!! Do you like Dylan?

not enough Meg!!
1st September 2006 11:55 AM
RollingstonesUSA
1st September 2006 12:24 PM
Madafaka
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Much cheaper. Just got best ticket available for Detroit for $69.50 -Cheapest$29.00

$69.50 the best one? Wow! That's really cheap!
I hate Bob doesn't back down here...
1st September 2006 12:27 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Rochester, NY: 30 August 06 (M&A), now on Dime...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=110071

Do you know the sound quality of this one?
1st September 2006 12:32 PM
Saint Sway how many more posts to go???
1st September 2006 12:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot $69.50 is expensive for a Bob Dylan ticket.

I usually pay around $30.00 usd to see Bob. For the longest time Bob kept his prices under $20.00. The last time I saw Bob, it was a double bill with Willie Nelson, and I paid $35.00 for a ticket. That works out to $17.50 per headliner.

Bob has never seen his concert audience as a cash cow.
1st September 2006 12:39 PM
Nellcote Empire Burlesque.
Great LP.
Thanks for that vid.

Look at the players on that disc.

Don't forget "Clean Cut Kid", with one Ronald Wood!

Album Credits
Performance Credits
Bob Dylan Primary Artist, Guitar, Harmonica, Keyboards, Vocals
Al Kooper Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Horn, Keyboards
Mick Taylor Guitar
Ron Wood Guitar
Mike Campbell Guitar, Vocals
Peggie Blu Background Vocals, Vocals
Jim Keltner Drums, Vocals
Bashiri Johnson Percussion
Benmont Tench Piano, Keyboards
Peggy Blu Vocals
Debra Byrd Vocals, Background Vocals
Alan Clark Synthesizer, Keyboards
Carolyn Dennis Vocals, Background Vocals
Sly Dunbar Percussion, Drums
Howie Epstein Bass, Vocals
Anton Fig Drums
Bob Glaub Bass
Don Heffington Drums
Ira Ingber Guitar
Stuart Kimball Guitar, Electric Guitar
Queen Esther Marrow Vocals, Background Vocals
Sid McGinnis Guitar
Vince Melamed Synthesizer
John Paris Bass
Ted Perlman Guitar
Madelyn Quebec Vocals
Richard Scher Synthesizer
Robbie Shakespeare Bass
Urban Blight Horns Horn
Syd McGuiness Guitar
David Watson Saxophone
Chops Horn
Technical Credits
Josh Abbey Engineer

Album Details
Release Date: 10/25/1990
Label: SONY
Catalog No.: 40110
UPC: 074644011029
Sales Rank: 603

1st September 2006 12:39 PM
Saint Sway $70 for Bob is a far better value than $500 for the karoake Stones
1st September 2006 12:41 PM
Nellcote $56.50 to see Bob one week ago, McCoy Stadium Pawtucket, RI

Elana James
Junior Brown (wait to you see him live, SS)
Jimmie Vaughan
Bob Dylan
1st September 2006 12:43 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
$69.50 is expensive for a Bob Dylan ticket.

I usually pay around $30.00 usd to see Bob. For the longest time Bob kept his prices under $20.00. The last time I saw Bob, it was a double bill with Willie Nelson, and I paid $35.00 for a ticket. That works out to $17.50 per headliner.

Bob has never seen his concert audience as a cash cow.

I couldn't imagine see Dylan for $30!
Jeez, if I live in the USA, I'll touring with him!
1st September 2006 12:48 PM
PartyDoll MEG $69.50 was for the new fall tour for Modern Times with the "headliner" bands.
Why Detroit gets an acoustic Foo Fighters and not Jack and the boys is beyond me!!!!
1st September 2006 12:58 PM
Nasty Habits I can't stay, but I thought I'd take the time to stop by and mention that I still really like Modern Times!
1st September 2006 01:02 PM
Martha
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
This thread has JB banning himself for one day written all over it.

ROTFLOL! Good one darlin'!
1st September 2006 01:04 PM
Martha
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I ve readen somewhere this thread needs to reach 500 posts ....
here I am!!

Thank you VERY kindly for the help Jum! You ROCK!
1st September 2006 01:05 PM
Egbert ahem
1st September 2006 01:05 PM
Egbert er...
1st September 2006 01:06 PM
Martha
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I can't stay, but I thought I'd take the time to stop by and mention that I still really like Modern Times!

Where ya' goin" sweetheart?

Come back soon!

xxoo,
Martha
1st September 2006 01:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Martha wrote:

Come back soon!

this thread will be closing soon....
1st September 2006 01:11 PM
Martha

Bob Dylan's Modern Times

ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Modern Times

Bob Dylan

Sony & BMG

Rating: ***

The Globe and Mail

He lives mostly in hotels, and roams the globe in jet planes and tour buses. Only on his records does Bob Dylan ride the rails, creep around back porches, and call out his love or resentment at a face retreating from a dirty upstairs window.

There's nothing newfangled about Modern Times, which revisits the imagined past in much the same way (though not quite as well) as 2001's Love and Theft. "I keep recycling the same old thoughts," Dylan sings in his grainy whine. He began as a self-mythologizing student of Woody Guthrie and his era, and at 65 he has come round again to much the same position, though like an orbiting planet his path never exactly repeats itself. These songs are more knowing, and more stylistically diverse (running through the blues, boogie-woogie, rockabilly and western swing) than Dylan's work in his Guthrie period.

He still has lots to say, too much sometimes for the redundancy of a chorus. Thunder on a Mountain, the opening track, runs to 12 verses, with a chorus-like vamp after each three. Other numbers extend for seven or eight minutes, and feel as if they could go on much longer. They begin in the middle of things and end that way, throwing out a playful, contemplative mixture of anecdote, aphorism and self-description that mostly dares you to take it at face value.

"I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows," Dylan sings, somehow giving a wizened dignity to a line that's both rustic and randy. Many of the 10 new items on this disc are love songs, though the character of the beloved remains strangely indistinct. Not for the first time, Dylan seems more interested in the face in the mirror, and in the challenge of finding a new angle on pop's central obsession.

He doesn't always find it. Spirit on the Water sounds as if he were warming up for a duet with Norah Jones. Beyond the Horizon is Dylan's Over the Rainbow. Can a cover of What a Wonderful Day be far behind?

The best moments find the old trickster contemplating last things, in the mystic garden of Ain't Talking or in the simple avowal of When the Deal Goes Down. The worst moment, with no close second, comes in his mediocre rewrite of Rollin' and Tumblin' by Muddy Waters, who doesn't even get a credit. Love and theft, indeed.

Bob Dylan plays the Coliseum in Vancouver on Oct. 11, Scotiabank Place in Ottawa Nov. 5, Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Nov. 7 and the Bell Centre in Montreal on Nov. 8.

Bell Globemedia

1st September 2006 01:17 PM
PartyDoll MEG
Word on the street: Gazza has consumed many apples today!!!

1st September 2006 01:23 PM
Martha
Scotsman.com News
Friday, 1st September 2006
Latest News

Dylan's new album "Modern Times" wins rave reviews

By Claudia Parsons

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bob Dylan's new album "Modern Times" was released on Tuesday to rave reviews that showed the 65-year-old legend has plenty to say about the changing times since his last record came out on September 11, 2001.

But in typical fashion, the gravel-voiced star of the 1960s known for mumbling his words says it in elusive fashion.

National Public Radio critic Tom Moon said that much had happened since Dylan's last studio album "Love and Theft," released on the day of the September 11 attacks in Washington and New York, but the new album showed Dylan wrestling with tough issues "in a sly fox sort of roundabout way."

"Those expecting an inventory of catastrophe will be disappointed," Moon said.

"Dylan just glances at current events and that's all it takes for him to conjure up the dread of the age. His songs catch the curious blend of unwavering faith and formless fear that distinguishes the present moment."

Critic Steve Jones wrote in USA Today praised the album by saying, "It takes about 30 seconds to figure out you're in the presence of greatness."

He said the album "contains some of Dylan's most direct love lyrics, vindictive vendettas, meditations on mortality, pointed political commentary, dry wit, apocalyptic imagery and head-scratching flights of fancy -- sometimes in the same song."

Jon Pareles in The New York Times said that even in a song titled "The Levee's Gonna Break," Dylan merely hints at the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans last year.

"The particulars of the present mean less and less to the songwriter who radically and irrevocably changed popular music in the 1960s," Pareles wrote of the album, produced by Dylan himself under the pseudonym Jack Frost and mostly recorded live in the studio.

Pat Gilbert wrote in Entertainment Weekly that the new album was billed as a final instalment of the trilogy started with "Time out of Mind" in 1997 and "Love and Theft" in 2001 -- "two superlative records" after a patchy period in the 1990s.

The 10 tracks on the album range from love songs such as "Spirit in the Water," featuring the lyrics "You think I'm over the hill/ You think I'm past my prime," to "Workingman's Blues #2," a critique of the U.S. economy that Gilbert said could have been written by Bruce Springsteen.

The album ends with a haunting ballad of death, regrets and revenge, nearly nine minutes long and titled "Ain't Talkin'," in which he is "walking through the cities of the plague."

While several critics picked up allusions to events such as the September 11 attacks, there is nothing obvious of that nature.

Rolling Stone magazine's Jonathan Lethem wrote that the record was littered "with glinting references to world events like 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, though anyone seeking a moral, to paraphrase Mark Twain, should be shot."

Dylan told Lethem in an interview: "I'd make this record no matter what was going on in the world.

"I wrote these songs in not a meditative state at all but more like in a trance-like, hypnotic state."

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1276182006

Last updated: 29-Aug-06 17:29 BST
-------------------------------------------------------

Critic Steve Jones wrote in USA Today praised the album by saying, "It takes about 30 seconds to figure out you're in the presence of greatness."

30 seconds indeed! :-)

1st September 2006 01:24 PM
PartyDoll MEG Did I mention... I think this album is da bomb!!!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)